Would be nice to have a better CPO program

garbageman918

16 minutes ago, garbageman918 said:

i should add that I may be mislead by some internet forums which have suggested even 'warrantied' CPO work is really looked down on by dealerships and thus becomes a big hassle for buyers.

I've never heard of any hassles with Ford factory warranties for things that are obviously defective.

The only issue is with some dealers who don't want to go above and beyond on a less than obvious problem but that doesn't happen a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, garbageman918 said:

i should add that I may be mislead by some internet forums which have suggested even 'warrantied' CPO work is really looked down on by dealerships and thus becomes a big hassle for buyers.

Everyone makes less money on warranty- the tech, the writer, the shop-  but that is something that most service department personnel just 'suck up' and move on. The issues you are hearing about are most likely NOT "standard" warranty issues, (beyond the 3/36 B to B and the 5/60 powertain warranties) instead ESP that came free with the CPO. Under ESP, instead of relative freedom to repair the car as the technician sees fit (within the rules of the workshop and W&P manuals) WEPA gets involved if the repair will be over a certain amount. That amount varies dealership to dealership but when you reach the threshold, you're stuck. The tech has to fill out WEPA forms, price every single part and labor to the penny, send required documentation and more often than not, pictures of the failure. Then they still might send an inspector which the tech will have to spend more time showing the failure and suggested repair to. 95% of the time the tech will find himself literally arguing with WEPA to allow correct repair of the car. This can and often does add DAYS onto the repair. The tech makes no more money for all the extra footwork, paperwork and often non-diagnosis or repair related additional tear down. The majority of techs are NOT paid by the hour, but paid by labor completed. So you can see where adding hours of work to do the same job becomes an issue. Most techs hate the WEPA process for the literal distrust in their abilities/honesty that WEPA shows nearly every time within the process.  

All that long winded stuff being said, with the majority of dealers, this will be a seamless process to the customer, except for the additional time it takes if WEPA is involved.