Where the heck are all the new Lincolns?

I wonder why I just so rarely see any (newer) Lincolns out there? I mean I know they're selling them but I drive A LOT and currently I only see Navigators if I see any at all. I've seen only one other Nautilus, 1 Aviator, 1 Continental and maybe 6 or 7 Navigators (zero Corsairs). I have an eagle eye for seeing cars I want/like to see. I live in a pretty big city so I'm surprised that I don't see more.... It's kinda surprising to me too that the prevalence of Lincolns I DO see are the expensive ones. So it goes to show I guess people like big opulence... Where I live is like the worlds highest concentration of Esclades I swear... I can't believe how many of those things I see out here and almost always a woman driving them, which is weird because my wife hates vehicles that are huge to drive. 

Dealer says they're selling Aviators the most, but where they're hiding is beyond me.  Anyone see any others out there in the wild?

I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC, and like you see a fair number of Navigators. But I also see MKZs, a few Continentals, a goodly number of current generation (but pre-Nautilus) MKXs, a smattering of older MKXs and current Nautiluses, and a few MKCs. I haven't noticed any Aviators in the wild yet, though that is also my dealer's current top seller, nor any Corsairs (my dealer's #2 seller). Oh, and quite a few venerable Towncars as well, usually well-maintained. I see a more Acuras, Lexuses, MBs, BMWs, and Volvos than Lincolns or Cadillacs (and more Caddies than Lincolns), but I do see them out and about. The Washington metro area, with 6 of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the U.S. (a startling stat worthy of a different discussion), has an affinity for foreign brands.

Just give it time. Corsairs have only been on sale a couple months, Aviators a few months longer (but with supplies restricted initially do the the rocky launch). The Nautilus has been selling for a little over a year, but is still much outnumbered by MKXs on the road.

• Like 2

I see two of them every day, my Nautilus and mom's MKC and I'm out here in the middle of nowhere. Haha.  When we head east to Las Cruces down I10 i typically see a few newer Lincoln's,  ie the new corporate front ends.  Mostly see truck loads of Tesla's headed east and border wall sections headed west.

Examples from IHS Markit new car registration data.

Big city metro areas where Lincoln vehicles are more popular relative to the U.S. market overall.

• Detroit
  • Cleveland
  • Miami - Fort Lauderdale

Big city metro areas where Lincoln vehicles are less popular relative to the U.S. market overall.

• Washington, D.C. - Baltimore
  • San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose
  • Seattle

21 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Deafsoundguy, which big city or metro area are you in? In the USA, popularity of Lincoln vehicles varies widely depending on region.

Below my Homer peanut brain avatar is all my info.... Portland Oregon, home of the Prius ?.... but those Teslas are creeping up....

Actually I live exactly on the Portland line that borders with Gresham and Happy valley, home of the Escalade and gratuitous soccer mom

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Below my Homer peanut brain avatar is all my info.... Portland Oregon, home of the Prius ?.... but those Teslas are creeping up....

Actually I live exactly on the Portland line that borders with Gresham and Happy valley, home of the Escalade and gratuitous soccer mom

Thank you Deafsoundguy sir! Would you say that car buying preferences in your hometown of Portland, Oregon are similar to Seattle? Seattle stood out as one of the big metro areas in which Lincolns are less popular than in the USA as a whole among new car buyers.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Examples from IHS Markit new car registration data.

Big city metro areas where Lincoln vehicles are more popular relative to the U.S. market overall.

• Detroit
  • Cleveland
  • Miami - Fort Lauderdale

Big city metro areas where Lincoln vehicles are less popular relative to the U.S. market overall.

• Washington, D.C. - Baltimore
  • San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose
  • Seattle

That says it all...

24 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I see so many Continentals and Navigator black vehicles, it's unreal. I probably see more MKX/Nautilus than anything though for personal vehicles. I work downtown Chicago. 

Thank you for sharing your observations in Chicago jcartwright99. I found this chart showing the most popular luxury car brands for new retail vehicle registrations in the Chicago metropolitan area, January to November 2019. Lincoln is tied with Cadillac at 3.8% market share. The data from IHS Markit is presented in the CATA Auto Outlook newsletter. http://www.cata.info/assets/1/12/AO_Nov_19.pdf

Note this data does not include fleet vehicles such as those registered by limousine and rental car companies.

image.png.ed90a7ef10df091acc1c635e6c7bacf3.png

Tesla a luxury car??  I thought it was the horse and buggy coming back...go a few miles, stop for the night, go a few miles, stop for the night....   I ended my Motor Trend subscription when they made it car of the year, they couldn't even go from Los Angeles to Las Vegas without stopping for hours to recharge.  And don't even get me started on the environmental hazards processing the lithium and manufacturing  the batteries.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, T hawker said:

Tesla a luxury car??  I thought it was the horse and buggy coming back...go a few miles, stop for the night, go a few miles, stop for the night....   I ended my Motor Trend subscription when they made it car of the year, they couldn't even go from Los Angeles to Las Vegas without stopping for hours to recharge.  And don't even get me started on the environmental hazards processing the lithium and manufacturing  the batteries.

Of course, Tesla is not a luxury car. At least, not all Teslas are luxury cars. Maybe, only maybe, the Model S is a luxury car for the size and amenities. But de Model 3 definitly is not a luxury car. Are Teslas expensives? Yes! But a high price dont classify a vehicle as a luxury vehicle. Take, for example, the F-350 Super Duty Dually in a high trim form. The price of this truck is near the 80000$. Is the F-350 truck a luxury vehicle?  Answer that question and you can understand why Teslas ( all Teslas...) are not luxury cars. And is completly stupid to say that the Tesla Model 3 compete with BMW 3 series...  The luxury doesnt come with the price, come with the brand heritage, quality, materials, amenities and equipment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

Of course, Tesla is not a luxury car. At least, not all Teslas are luxury cars. Maybe, only maybe, the Model S is a luxury car for the size and amenities. But de Model 3 definitly is not a luxury car. Are Teslas expensives? Yes! But a high price dont classify a vehicle as a luxury vehicle. Take, for example, the F-350 Super Duty Dually in a high trim form. The price of this truck is near the 80000$. Is the F-350 truck a luxury vehicle?  Answer that question and you can understand why Teslas ( all Teslas...) are not luxury cars. And is completly stupid to say that the Tesla Model 3 compete with BMW 3 series...  The luxury doesnt come with the price, come with the brand heritage, quality, materials, amenities and equipment.

Tesla's S is a luxury car. Maybe the X. But not the 3 (though it is priced like one).

"If you purchase a standard Tesla Model 3, the seats must be manually adjusted, as will the steering column. The side mirrors aren’t powered or heated, and there’s no auto dimming. There are no LED fog lamps, and if you want a covered storage area in the center console, you must pay extra. Unless you spend $5,000 for the Premium Upgrade, you’re essentially getting the interior of a base model Toyota Camry. (To be fair, the Camry comes standard with a covered center console.)"

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/31/16069960/tesla-model-3-not-luxury-car-options-model-s

10 hours ago, T hawker said:

Oh and in winter, cut the range in half and drive 40mph with the heat off.

1 hour ago, T hawker said:

I think it's more of a cult following then anything else.  Owners would be hesitant to complain about their ownership experiences. 

There's some of that, but the high level of owner satisfaction with Tesla vehicles is mostly due to product excellence. As an American, it makes me happy that Tesla as a U.S. domestic car brand is so revered by customers around the world.

I think the 2020s decade will mark the renaissance of American luxury cars globally. Tesla of course is the definitive luxury EV maker now, Lincoln keeps growing in sales and prestige, and Cadillac is on the up and up too. Ford and GM are putting many of their electrification and autonomy efforts into Lincoln and Cadillac respectively.

It wouldn't be surprising if Tesla + Lincoln + Cadillac take market share away from the European and Asian luxury brands over the next 10 years.