'20 F-Series Super Duty First Drive

3 hours ago, 351cid said:

I like the nose of the '20 better than the '17-'19. I've thought the front design of the '08 & up got more gawdy as they progressed. Good to see them tone it down a little.

I kind of like the grill on that red dually, but the other 2 are pretty ugly still. 

I really think Ford should research going back to a shared body with F150. If they can make something that looks good, and fits all their engine options, that would be such a winner from a cost savings perspective. 

I don't know if super duty buyers prefer that boxier, macho look (it wouldn't surprise me) but maybe they could design a truck that makes F150 and super duty owners happy. 

The grill redesign is due to increase enginge heat....they needed better cooling flow.....we shall see if new PS is more problomatic then the out-going....ford jacked up pressure to get those numbers and it needs to be seen what the reality of the field reports....

17 hours ago, probowler said:

I kind of like the grill on that red dually, but the other 2 are pretty ugly still. 

I really think Ford should research going back to a shared body with F150. If they can make something that looks good, and fits all their engine options, that would be such a winner from a cost savings perspective. 

I don't know if super duty buyers prefer that boxier, macho look (it wouldn't surprise me) but maybe they could design a truck that makes F150 and super duty owners happy. 

They already got a lot of cost savings by sharing cabs with this generation of both.

Obviously buyers must like the Super Duty looks otherwise Ford wouldn't do the separate looks - nor would GM (and to a lesser extent Ram) jump on that approach and have different looking front/rear ends.

Part of the guadyness of the front end of the Super Duty was due to lighting regulations and the height of the truck. The first gen was the best looking out of the bunch, but the lights where up too high, blinding people and thats why the light shapes changed over the years like they did. 

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Part of the guadyness of the front end of the Super Duty was due to lighting regulations and the height of the truck. The first gen was the best looking out of the bunch, but the lights where up too high, blinding people and thats why the light shapes changed over the years like they did. 

Not going to disagree with you on the lighting, but all that chrome on that gigantic grill was just too much. My '04 has a charcoal grill with a chome surround. It's an XLT and IIRC, the Lariat had the same grill.

Speaking of lighting...somebody needs to talk to GM about their '20 models. OMG...talk about being blinded by the light. It's like they project right into your eyes on a two lane. I've noticed this several times with different trucks. If it blinds me in my tractor trailer; what about the poor schmuck in a Mustang?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 351cid said:

Not going to disagree with you on the lighting, but all that chrome on that gigantic grill was just too much. My '04 has a charcoal grill with a chome surround. It's an XLT and IIRC, the Lariat had the same grill.

Personally, I think there's way too much chrome on most F-Series grilles. That's one of the things I love about my STX--no chrome at all in the grille (aside from the Blue Oval), just a body-colored surround and black insert.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

Personally, I think there's way too much chrome on most F-Series grilles. That's one of the things I love about my STX--no chrome at all in the grille (aside from the Blue Oval), just a body-colored surround and black insert.

Agree 100%  Don't understand why that grill is not offered with higher interior trim levels. Not everyone wants a grill that is reminiscent of  a 60's jukebox?-Although the new heby hjolds that crown IMO