1.5L EcoBoast GROANS!

scottfmcc

I'm currently driving a 2020 Ford Escape SEL with the 1.5L EcoBoost. It seems to be a nice car overall, but the engine noise is really worrisome. I'm used to DOHC 4 cylinder engines, especially the 2.0L EcoBoost in my wife's Fusion being rather smooth. Yes, it's a 4 cylinder, so it isn't V-6 smooth, but still unobtrusive. This 1.5L engine just GROANS all the time. The engine noise is rough and not pleasing at all. I know its a subjective question, but is this typical of the 1.5L engine in the Escape now? Anyone else have experience with it? 

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen :)

Edited by scottfmcc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, scottfmcc said:

I'm currently driving a 2020 Ford Escape SEL with the 1.5L EcoBoost. It seems to be a nice car overall, but the engine noise is really worrisome. I'm used to DOHC 4 cylinder engines, especially the 2.0L EcoBoost in my wife's Fusion being rather smooth. Yes, it's a 4 cylinder, so it isn't V-6 smooth, but still unobtrusive. This 1.5L engine just GROANS all the time. The engine noise is rough and not pleasing at all. I know its a subjective question, but is this typical of the 1.5L engine in teh Escape now? Anyone else have experience with it? 

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen :)

We had a 2020 3-cylinder Escape as a loaner for about 3 weeks, my wife & daughter definitely like the 1.5 4-cylinder in her 2018 better.

HRG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scottfmcc said:

This 1.5L engine just GROANS all the time. The engine noise is rough and not pleasing at all. I know its a subjective question, but is this typical of the 1.5L engine in the Escape now? Anyone else have experience with it? 

Hi scottfmcc sir, your experience is matched by many others. I test drove a 3-cylinder 2020 Escape SE recently and experienced the same thing. Rough, obnoxious engine NVH (groaning) at almost all times the driver's foot touches the accelerator pedal. 

In its 2020 Escape review, Consumer Reports actually recommended avoiding the 3-cylinder version because its engine noise and vibration are so annoying. Hybrid or PHEV is the way to go if you like the 2020 Escape otherwise.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

In its 2020 Escape review, Consumer Reports actually recommended avoiding the 3-cylinder version because its engine noise and vibration are so annoying. Hybrid or PHEV is the way to go if you like the 2020 Escape otherwise.

From what I'm seeing in available inventory, you can get the 2.0 4-cyl in an SEL, so if I had to buy a 2020 today, I'd look at that.

HRG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

you can get the 2.0 4-cyl in an SEL, so if I had to buy a 2020 today, I'd look at that.

Thanks HotRunrGuy sir! I didn't realize until reading your post the 2.0L 4-cylinder engine was an option on Escape SEL. Anyway, you're right, the 2.0L 4-cylinder SEL is also a good option. Consumer Reports mentioned that engine was much more pleasant than the 3-cylinder. They rented a 2020 Escape Titanium with that engine for a quick drive evaluation (the 2020 Escape Consumer Reports bought with their own money for the full road test was a 3-cylinder SE AWD).

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Hybrid or PHEV is the way to go if you like the 2020 Escape otherwise.

+1

For a growl instead of a groan, try the hybrid... it's got a surprisingly aggressive exhaust note when pressed. I'm just thankful CU didn't buy one, and didn't test one because I doubt they're learned how to drive one. 

Frank

Edited by fbov
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, fbov said:

For a growl instead of a groan, try the hybrid... it's got a surprisingly aggressive exhaust note when pressed.

Yes sir fbov! As a bonus, the hybrid powertrain is very smooth and quiet under lighter loads, particularly at low speeds when the electric motor handles propulsion. Best of both worlds!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

... Best of both worlds!

If anyone notices...

I'm watching for Escape ads (only seen 2) and reading whatever I find on the Escape to see the level of awareness. Consumer Reports' podcast review ignored it, clearly focusing on the geared drivetrains. Given their take on the C-Max, that's not necessarily bad. 

Have fun,

Frank

I echo the groans (ha!) with the 1.5L Escape.  I found myself puttering along just to avoid the noise and vibration.  Interestingly, there's another 1.5L car that has the same problem - The Honda Insight.  Even though it's a Honda, and a 4-cylinder I found it to be just as groany and shaky as the Escape's 3-cylinder.

• Thanks 1