GT Tax Credit

CoolScoop

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

Looks like 14.4 kwh compared to 13.6 kwh for Aviator GT.  So it would be a little higher but probably close.

I thought it was based on range.

Federal Tax Credit Up To $7,500!

All-electric and plug-in hybrid cars purchased in or after 2010 may be eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500. The credit amount will vary based on the capacity of the battery used to power the vehicle.

I have the formula somewhere, it is out of the Tax Code, Should be about 6200.00 or a little more.

4 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Federal Tax Credit Up To $7,500!

All-electric and plug-in hybrid cars purchased in or after 2010 may be eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500. The credit amount will vary based on the capacity of the battery used to power the vehicle.

I have the formula somewhere, it is out of the Tax Code, Should be about 6200.00 or a little more.

Close enough

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

Yes sir mustangchief, IRS says this. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

For vehicles acquired after 12/31/2009, the credit is equal to $2,500 plus, for a vehicle which draws propulsion energy from a battery with at least 5 kilowatt hours of capacity, $417, plus an additional $417 for each kilowatt hour of battery capacity in excess of 5 kilowatt hours. The total amount of the credit allowed for a vehicle is limited to $7,500."

When I used 13.6kW battery in Aviator Grand Touring in that formula I got $2,500 + $417 + $(13.6-5)*417 =  $6,503

Edited by rperez817

16 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir mustangchief, IRS says this. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

When I used 13.6kW battery in Aviator Grand Touring in that formula I got $2,500 + $417 + $(13.6-5)*417 =  $6,503

I always thought it would be $6,500 based on the formula.  Not sure how they came up with $6,042... even leaving out the first $417 wouold still be higher at $6,086.

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:12 PM, rperez817 said:

Gov Math $2500(5KW) + (8*417)=5836 + half of 417 for the half KW $206  = $6042   I think the extra $417 is a typo.  If you do the $2500 for the first 5 then 8 X 417 for the next 8 and however they come up with the other number, they must have an exact # of KW.  

Edited by mustangchief
  • Thanks 1

I think the extra $417 is a typo

The 2020 530e xDrive has a 12kw battery and a $5,836 tax credit.  That follows the formula exactly, incuding the first $417.  $2,500 + $417 + (12-5)×417 = $5,836.  So the Aviator's credit is either a mistake or the final battery size is smaller than advertised... for a $6,042 tax credit the battery size would be 12.494kw.

Edited by CoolScoop

The tax credit is for the individual, it is not a rebate.  It only applies to the original owner.  The Dealer is the owner and he will only pass on the savings if he will get the credit.  He will need to have a tax liability to cover all of the credits.  If his end of year tax will be at a break even or loss (building upgrades, other losses) he would not be able to claim the credits.  Toward the end of year if the dealer knows he will be able to use the credits, he may pass them on.  Or if the dealer knows they will have a large tax liability he may reduce the lease payment.  

Lincoln gets zip, only the owner.

That's not how it works.  The dealer is not the owner of the vehicle - Ford Credit owns the vehicle.  And they would almost certainly use most if not all of that to subsidize the lease, although I guess that's up to them.

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

That's not how it works.  The dealer is not the owner of the vehicle - Ford Credit owns the vehicle.  And they would almost certainly use most if not all of that to subsidize the lease, although I guess that's up to them.

Yeah, I was coming back to correct it, Tax Credits raise the residual value if added in, and the Leaser owns the vehicle, whether Ford Credit or whoever issues the lease.  They do not lower the MSRP.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Coldones said:

For some reason they updated the tax credit on the Aviator from $6,042 to 'TBD'. 

Probably a good thing because $6,042 was incorrect.  They should be updating it to $6,503, going by the battery size formula.  But they have plenty of time to make the correction before anyone can actually claim it, lol.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wjwolf said:

Can anyone comment as to thoughts on the changes to TBD and when we could expect to have the real tax credit value? Does the new evaluations come from the federal government or an independent agency, thought as mentioned is predetermined calculations?

I emailed the website that posts the tax credit amounts above and received these replies:

Ford contacted us a couple of weeks ago wanting to get the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring PHEV listed on our website. We explained that it is the IRS who determines eligibility for the tax credit and sets the credit amount so we cannot list it until the IRS puts it on their website. The only way we could list it before the IRS does is if they can provide us with an official letter from the IRS stating the vehicles eligibility and amount. Ford sent us that letter for documentation so we posted it on our website. A few days later, Ford contacted us saying that there were questions regarding the credit amount and they requested that we temporarily remove the credit amount from our website and said that they requested that the IRS temporarily remove it as well. We have not heard back since and I see the IRS doesn’t list it yet either:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/irc-30d-new-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-vehicle-credit

The IRS will list it under Ford Motor Company because the tax credits are by manufacturer. We break out the brands on our website to make them easier to find.

I have sent an email to the person at Ford who contacted us to see if he can provide us with any additional information. I will let you know as soon as I hear back from him. This is really between Ford and the IRS and they are the only ones who can answer this question. We only relay information from the IRS and have no role in administering this tax credit. Sorry we can’t give you a better answer. Hopefully we will hear back from Ford soon. 

We just received the following response from our contact at Ford:

“We’ve corrected our tax credit calculation, and the IRS received our revised paperwork on Thursday, 2/6.  They are expediting their review process for us, so we expect to hear something back soon.  Our expectation is that they will approve the revised credit amount, which is $6,534.”

So, nothing is official until finalized and posted by the IRS. We will update our website with the final amount as soon as we can. I hope this helps.

• Like 2