7.3 teardown

Uh, apparently the fact that this engine is specifically designed for medium duty trucks, there are those who insist it will take the place of Ford's mod motors for performance vehicles.  I guess that is good for the "pushrods forever crowd".

Would have been nice if these guys took Mr Beltramo's presentation and addressed his comments point by point as to why this will be such a good commercial vehicle motor.

✌
43 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Would have been nice if these guys took Mr Beltramo's presentation and addressed his comments point by point as to why this will be such a good commercial vehicle motor.

Yeah, but these guys aren't into commercial.

6 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

Here Bob, this kind of touches on what you're after.

Thx!  Sounds like these guys are well on their way to making this a reality beyond trucks-and he clearly stated a lot of the features that make it a good truck engine, also translate well to the high performance PV.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:29 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Thx!  Sounds like these guys are well on their way to making this a reality beyond trucks-and he clearly stated a lot of the features that make it a good truck engine, also translate well to the high performance PV.

When the 7.3 project kicked off, Brian Wolfe was director of global engine engineering, this is very much his baby Bob, so it looks like he had it engineered both ways, the reliability features for SD/MD also flow through to performance. Look at those tall behave spring package, perfect for high lift without squashing the springs as much.

• Like 1

Part 2 was labeled  "Ford 7.3L Godzilla Engine Dyno Results, Teardown & Comparison to Coyote & 351 Windsor Part 2" .

Part 4 will be the 7.3L Godzilla cam & valvetrain & dyno run.

Here are the links for each segment:    Part 1   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pysUCYz4wlM      Part 2   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4SlsScnBY   and    Part 3    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlK-NW2pILM

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 12:21 PM, WillSD said:

Part 2 was labeled  "Ford 7.3L Godzilla Engine Dyno Results, Teardown & Comparison to Coyote & 351 Windsor Part 2" .

Part 4 will be the 7.3L Godzilla cam & valvetrain & dyno run.

Here are the links for each segment:    Part 1   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pysUCYz4wlM      Part 2   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4SlsScnBY and    Part 3    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlK-NW2pILM

Here's part 4

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

That man, Brian Wolfe was in charge of Godzilla development but left Ford before it was completed,

That's why he knows so much about it and how commercial strength and reliability converts to performance.

JP-Just curious-Brian Wolfe bailed out on a "package deal"?  In his best interest to take the deal and run?  Assuming that is the case I think this is one of the things that many of us have alluded to as for example the reason the Explorer has started out on the wrong note. Great to have smart young people come on board.  But lose too many experienced hands and who are the mentors that bring these new hires along?

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, Bob Rosadini said:

Just curious-Brian Wolfe bailed out on a "package deal"?  In his best interest to take the deal and run?  

Brian's "ultimate" job was to be the head of Ford Racing, which he was for awhile.  They "shuffled" the deck several years ago during the "one Ford" period and combined US and "rest of world" racing under one crown and Brian lost out.

You can clearly see his passion is in drag racing and that has a very small audience.  Actually, I think the whole world wide racing audience is shrinking.

When you are that "high up the food chain" and they make you an early retirement offer, you had better darn well take it !  The next step, if you stay, is a demotion.  Take the money and run !  (I did !)

• Like 1

Yes retiring early is your only option!

Looks like Brian Wolfe did an outstanding job designing the new 7.3 V8.

I was surprised the cylinders are seimesed but with a 115mm bore centers and a 107.2mm bore I guess that is the only way to do it.

I do see slots milled between the cylinders for water cooling though.

Being at 115 mm I seem to think the 6.2 SOC

V8 equipment in Romeo could be retooled to produce more 7.3 V8’s regardless where the machining is done.

edselford

23 minutes ago, edselford said:

Yes retiring early is your only option!

Looks like Brian Wolfe did an outstanding job designing the new 7.3 V8.

I was surprised the cylinders are seimesed but with a 115mm bore centers and a 107.2mm bore I guess that is the only way to do it.

I do see slots milled between the cylinders for water cooling though.

Being at 115 mm I seem to think the 6.2 SOC

V8 equipment in Romeo could be retooled to produce more 7.3 V8’s regardless where the machining is done.

edselford

The 6.2 is going away in a year or so, I think the new plant will be more than capable of keeping up

The cooling slots appear to be only at the top of the cylinders to receive a hot spot near the gasket face.

I think Brian said the 7.3 is 2" wider than a 351 Windsor and 4.5" narrower than a Coyote

What was it Carole Shelby said about Ford?

It's full of angry bitter people that are so jealous, you come in with your project car and after 20 years, they are still designing door handles....

Edited by jpd80

Wonder what the crate engine will run $ wise, seems like the 7.3L would make a perfect replacement for older FE's.  I always thought about putting a Coyote in my old man's 61 Sunliner, but it is too wide to fit, but the 7.3 should have no issues.  Slap a 10 speed behind it as well.