7.3 teardown

I wonder how much modification to the subframe that requires. 

Road and Track got 600 horsepower out of it with very simple mods

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/amp30753008/fords-73-liter-v-8-can-make-600-naturally-aspirated-horsepower-with-basic-mods/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

31 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I wonder how much modification to the subframe that requires. 

Road and Track got 600 horsepower out of it with very simple mods

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/amp30753008/fords-73-liter-v-8-can-make-600-naturally-aspirated-horsepower-with-basic-mods/?__twitter_impression=true

Road and Track didn't get 600hp. They're just reporting what Brian Wolfe and his team have done so far.

• Like 1

We called the local Ford parts place earlier today just to see.. looks like a replacement engine can be had anywhere from 7-10k depending on which model it came out of or is going in. Of course that doesn't include the transmission or computer. I'd figure at least 15k all in to swap it into something older buying new.

38 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

We called the local Ford parts place earlier today just to see.. looks like a replacement engine can be had anywhere from 7-10k depending on which model it came out of or is going in. Of course that doesn't include the transmission or computer. I'd figure at least 15k all in to swap it into something older buying new.

I would think that Ford Performance will offer it in a crate package for less.

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The cooling slots appear to be only at the top of the cylinders to receive a hot spot near the gasket face.

Yep. In one of those videos they show a block with about the top inch of the cylinder bank bandsawed off, and you can see that the slots don't extend that far down.

• Like 1

Brian stated the rods in the 7.3 are powdered and that in stock form should be able to withstand "mild" boost in the 9-12 lbs, just wondering what the gen 3 coyote rods are because if they are also powdered they seem to be able to withstand quite a bit more boost in stock form. Any one have insight on this? I'm thinking Brian was referring to "safe " amounts of "reliable" additional boost which can apply to the coyote as well but damn that yote is one mod/boost friendly platform, hoping the zilla will be too!  

2 hours ago, loubif said:

Brian stated the rods in the 7.3 are powdered and that in stock form should be able to withstand "mild" boost in the 9-12 lbs, just wondering what the gen 3 coyote rods are because if they are also powdered they seem to be able to withstand quite a bit more boost in stock form. Any one have insight on this? I'm thinking Brian was referring to "safe " amounts of "reliable" additional boost which can apply to the coyote as well but damn that yote is one mod/boost friendly platform, hoping the zilla will be too!  

Powdered metal forged rods can be quite strong, and my guess is the rods nor any part of the bottom end are the limiting factors with regard to boosting the 7.3L.  I think it's the head gaskets.  Roush dropped development of a blower for the 7.3L, but no idea why at this point.

Edited by 7Mary3
  • Sad 1

On 2/4/2020 at 12:50 PM, edselford said:

Looks like Brian Wolfe did an outstanding job designing the new 7.3 V8.

I really HATE IT when people give "design" credit to upper level management.  He had nothing to do with it !  At best he set goals (weight, power, cost, etc) and then real engineers came up with the design.  These were reviewed by peers and middle level management before Wolfe ever saw any of it.

You can bet, there was huge debate about OHC vs pushrod !  OHC has been a signature for Ford for many years now.  My guess is the only reason that pushrod won out was the OHC equivalent was too wide to fit in the E-series (another Ford "cash cow").

54 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

You can bet, there was huge debate about OHC vs pushrod !  OHC has been a signature for Ford for many years now.  My guess is the only reason that pushrod won out was the OHC equivalent was too wide to fit in the E-series (another Ford "cash cow").

I bet cost had more to do with it than anything.

2 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

I really HATE IT when people give "design" credit to upper level management.  He had nothing to do with it !  At best he set goals (weight, power, cost, etc) and then real engineers came up with the design.  These were reviewed by peers and middle level management before Wolfe ever saw any of it.

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

I bet cost had more to do with it than anything.

I thought Beltramo was the chief engineer?  Isn't he the guy in the intro video?  And I thought that in addition to the "package"-width, low end grunt was key.  The simplicity of pushrods vs double or quad overhead camshafts also was a consideration in terms of component costs  as well as assembly and repair costs.  If low RPMs throughout the power band is key, isn't that a key reason to stick with the least costly option-and less of a justification for a more costly OHC configuration??

Remember when we beat this question to death before the 7.3 was announced?  Many said "no way"- Ford was committed to OHC.  I guess the key here was the specific mission for this new motor.  "Medium duty commercial".  

In any case it seems like there is a lot of interest in making it succeed in an application it was not specifically designed for.   But WTH, if it can hit from both sides of the plate, all  the better.

Again, not a gear head-just asking.

Someone (tied to Ford?) around here mentioned the 7.3L was designed for 'profit center' Super Duty pickups, but was to be applicable to medium duty as well.  I would tend to believe that considering vehicle volumes and the cost of developing a new engine.  Nonetheless I think the 7.3L will do fine in the F-550/600/650.  And whatever new type medium duty Ford truck that might be on the horizon......  

5 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I thought Beltramo was the chief engineer?  Isn't he the guy in the intro video?  And I thought that in addition to the "package"-width, low end grunt was key.  The simplicity of pushrods vs double or quad overhead camshafts also was a consideration in terms of component costs  as well as assembly and repair costs.  If low RPMs throughout the power band is key, isn't that a key reason to stick with the least costly option-and less of a justification for a more costly OHC configuration??

I think Beltramo was the chief engineer for the 7.3, but Wolfe was the head of powertrain engineering, so he (Wolfe) was in charge of, and ultimately responsible for, the program. I think Wolfe was also in charge of the FR9 program from when he was running Ford Motorsport (though he probably had more direct engineering involvement in that program), so I don't think it's a coincidence that the 7.3 ended up with pushrods--and why I doubt that it was a done deal before Wolfe (who, from what I can tell, is a "real engineer") saw any of it.

Simplistic is number 1 concern for truck motor..max torque at lowest possible rpm is also a number 1 concern...its a truck motor..trying to turn truck motors into hipo street application while done for decades has never truly been truly successful without serious mods

23 minutes ago, snooter said:

Simplistic is number 1 concern for truck motor..max torque at lowest possible rpm is also a number 1 concern...its a truck motor..trying to turn truck motors into hipo street application while done for decades has never truly been truly successful without serious mods

All that hot rodders need basically is the block. The after market will take car of the rest. And eventually even the block will be after market if the demand is there. Just look at the GM LS motor.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

I think Beltramo was the chief engineer for the 7.3, but Wolfe was the head of powertrain engineering, so he (Wolfe) was in charge of, and ultimately responsible for, the program. I think Wolfe was also in charge of the FR9 program from when he was running Ford Motorsport (though he probably had more direct engineering involvement in that program), so I don't think it's a coincidence that the 7.3 ended up with pushrods--and why I doubt that it was a done deal before Wolfe (who, from what I can tell, is a "real engineer") saw any of it.

For a long time they considered massaging the Boss 6.2 to 7.0 litres as mentioned by Steve Beltramo but then they hit the reset button and asked what do we really want, coming back with push rods, VCT and PFI

imagine if someone had done that on the original Hurricane/Boss project, a push rod Godzilla 6.2/7.3 on one block years ago, all it would have taken was Siamese bores and raising the deck height from 9.4” to 9.7x”

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, snooter said:

We are thinking about dumping a chebby LS into a 48 jeepster....cummins R2.8T for scouts/off road fun stuff.....actually id like to see ford put that small diesel in the baby bronc

Only if it went International..... sorry for the pun ?

18 hours ago, coupe3w said:

All that hot rodders need basically is the block. The after market will take car of the rest. And eventually even the block will be after market if the demand is there. Just look at the GM LS motor.

The LS is just dirt cheap because of all the Chevy pickups with them in it. Decent engine with high availability/cheap cost makes for popular choice for the aftermarket.