7.3 teardown

7 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I am not so optimistic. Ford does not understand (or has no interest in) 'crate engines'.  Half the time you can't even buy new replacement production engines after the model year is over, you are stuck with Ford's 'Authorized' reman's!  Who 'authorizes' those things anyway?  

I don’t know about that—they have a Ford Performance catalog full of crate engines, including engines that they haven’t stuffed into a production vehicle in over 20 years. 

I’m guessing you’re talking about a usage of the term “crate engine” that’s peculiar to the Super Duty/mediums classes, but I was using it in the more common (IMHO) hot rodding parlance. 

7 hours ago, MGolden said:

We had a horrible experience with v10 remans from an authorized shop. 3 engines in less than 500 miles. All were under warranty, but a terrible experience.  

Had a similar experience with 5.4L's, but I only went through 2 and got almost 1000 miles out of the first one in one instance!

Edited by 7Mary3

45 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

I don’t know about that—they have a Ford Performance catalog full of crate engines, including engines that they haven’t stuffed into a production vehicle in over 20 years. 

I’m guessing you’re talking about a usage of the term “crate engine” that’s peculiar to the Super Duty/mediums classes, but I was using it in the more common (IMHO) hot rodding parlance. 

Yes, trying to buy new replacement engines.  I know in the past a lot of the so-called 'crate' performance engines Ford was peddling were built up of used and aftermarket parts, and were stupid expensive on top of that.  Hopefully the situation has changed, I have not paid much attention to what Ford has been offering lately.  Kind of gave up to be honest.  No surprise why so many LS engines end up in vintage Fords I guess.   

12 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Yes, trying to buy new replacement engines.  I know in the past a lot of the so-called 'crate' performance engines Ford was peddling were built up of used and aftermarket parts, and were stupid expensive on top of that.  Hopefully the situation has changed, I have not paid much attention to what Ford has been offering lately.  Kind of gave up to be honest.  No surprise why so many LS engines end up in vintage Fords I guess.   

You could always drop in a SBC or LS crate engine....

:stirpot:

I did check out some of the Ford Performance crate engines.  Some are made up of all new parts, some are made up of 'currently available' parts, whatever that means.  Their basic 340 h.p. 302 (long block with front cover, water pump, pan, valve covers) retails for $8,900.  I can buy a 430 h.p. 6.2L LS for $7,546 retail, and that's completely dressed.