More info on upcoming Rivian-derived Ford product

1 hour ago, Bellanca said:

Well that answers which one we’ll see first. I wonder when we’ll see a production concept. 

Well based on the time line you could be concept in NY this year, production version at NYC next year, then new Ford/Lincoln BEV the following year. 

However, Ford Motor Company has so much product coming in the next 36 months that debuts will need to be outside of the auto show circuit. 
For the U.S. Market you have 18+ new/ significant updated products coming. My biggest fear is the quality, though Ford in the past 6 months or so has been focusing on repairing supplier relations by listening to suppliers when it comes to adding some cost to get better quality components. Someone figured out when the supplier won't give you a warranty on the component at cost X but will when it costs Y, the extra cost of Y helps when there is a problem as you're not responsible, or you don't have any problems to begin with which is better for customer satisfaction. 

17 hours ago, Bellanca said:

Well that answers which one we’ll see first. I wonder when we’ll see a production concept. 

Well, Rivian has said it begins production of its pickup December of this year with its SUV beginning production three months later. So by early 2021 Rivian's production line will be up and running. Rivian's CEO says Lincoln has completed the design and engineering of its top hat, so theoretically the Lincoln SUV could be added to the Rivian production line sometime next year (remember this vehicle rolls off the Rivian line, not an FMC line). I wonder if this means Lincoln will have a pre-production model to unveil by late this year...

All assuming, of course,  no delays. 

Edited by Gurgeh

With the current line of crossovers and SUVs (compact , 2-row medium size, 3-row medium size and big vehicles) Lincoln almost had one for every single niche of the market, but the coupe crossovers. This Rivian based big crossover should be a coupe like vehicle, like the BMW X6 or Mercedes-Benz GLE Coupe. Lincoln need a new flagship and a coupe vehicle is the perfect one. How about the Mark name for this?

5 hours ago, Willwll313wll said:

I was thinking and hoping Lincoln would drop a concept at this years NY show BUT if all of the attention will be on the Bronco, maybe we'll get something at the NAIAS from Lincoln.

Bronco is a huge deal for Ford but there should be zero overlap between Bronco enthusiasts and customers drawn to a big luxury electric Lincoln. 

• Like 1

Full disclosure: I haven't seen it. I heard from a source late last night who has. 

"This is Kemal (Curic)'s first chance to really stretch his legs. It's breathtaking."

Hackett's directive: Surround the driver with unmatched oppulance, provide the driver with unmatched performance, and gift the driver with an unmistakable entrance.

Early CY22 launch - 2023MY. Will carry the Continental name. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Large. Very.

Three row. 

Utility...ish. 

Breathtaking. 

A "Continental" idea.

I ought to throw up some of my sketches :)

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Full disclosure: I haven't seen it. I heard from a source late last night who has. 

"This is Kemal (Curic)'s first chance to really stretch his legs. It's breathtaking."

Hackett's directive: Surround the driver with unmatched oppulance, provide the driver with unmatched performance, and gift the driver with an unmistakable entrance.

Early CY22 launch - 2023MY. Will carry the Continental name. 

Glad to hear Hackett sees a future for Lincoln.  I know there were concerns about that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Today's riddle:

When was the last time a team of Ford designers were able to design a vehicle from the ground-up without having to worry about the considerations of a corresponding Lincoln vehicle, keeping the Ford version from being too "nice"?

FTFY. HRG

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Today's riddle:

When was the last time a team of Lincoln designers were able to design a vehicle from the ground-up without having to worry about the considerations of a corresponding Ford vehicle? 

Late 90s for the 2000 Lincoln LS, except they had the opposite problem with the sister Jag SType which is why the Lincoln had a 3.9L V8 instead of the Jag 4.0L V8 (the LS had 1 mm less stroke).

• Like 1

Just now, akirby said:

Late 90s for the 2000 Lincoln LS, except they had the opposite problem with the sister Jag SType which is why the Lincoln had a 3.9L V8 instead of the Jag 4.0L V8 (the LS had 1 mm less stroke).

Bingo, and while it wasn't impeded by being designed around a corresponding Ford, it was likely even more negatively impacted by being designed around a corresponding Jag. 

This level of autonomy, technology, and sense of self hasn't been present for a single Lincoln model in more than a half century. 

This very well should become the halo for the entire company. A testament to what American ingenuity can accomplish when fully believed in. 

Based on the team that's working on this and the resources they've been given, this will be a gamechanger.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think they still needed to consider the parameters for the Ford Thunderbird.