Savage Geese Reviews the new Explorer

On 1/27/2020 at 7:17 PM, akirby said:

Street price on the Explorer should be around $42K.  There were reports of the telluride and palisade advertised for $10K over MSRP.  I don’t think they’re selling for that but MSRP wouldn’t surprise me.

I still think they’re underpricing the market on purpose and will raise prices later.  And I think Ford will add some rebates and lower MsRP if necessary.

But you have to hand it to them for creating a desirable product.

Salesman called me last night on the Explorer to tell me Ford increased rebates in my region from $2750 to $3750 effective on 1/29. Rebates are good until 3/31.

The region next to ours now has rebates of $5250 plus $1000 trade assist.  That is a lot on money on the hood!!! 

Edited by 17F150RR

On 1/30/2020 at 8:06 AM, Dlcorbett said:

There's another thread about a new CEO, I'm not gonna say one is needed but i will say he needs to make changes.  The products have huge potential, and some are stunners (new lincolns/mustangs mainly), but ford stymies their products by not doing their best, just good enough.  The explorer is a clear example.  Its not the assembly issues thats causing slow sales, its the perceived quality per unit cost compared to its competitors. Hopefully the ceo wakes the heck up, sees this truth, and makes the changes.

The Explorer was a victim of on again and off again design that didn't help. Its been in development for a while and I believe it might have been cancelled or kept getting pushed back. I think the Explorer is outlier and alot of it has been blow way out of proportion.  

On 1/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

His complaint about seat discoloration is why I will never ever EVER own another car with seats that aren't black ever again, I don't care what kind of car it is or what material it is. 

I just wish they didn't use that secondary color on the Platinum with black seats. It comes across as sort of purple on my screen. Haven't seen it in person yet, so may actually be brown.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, T-dubz said:

Pretty accurate review. My wife has an xlt and loves it (besides the transmission cooler repair lol). As for the interior, he’s pretty spot on. It does seem like the design is a bit unfinished. It’s good enough for us. I think the silver trim looks better then the wood trim and the 8” screen looks better too. I haven’t noticed any bad viewing angles on our screen either. I don’t have the B&O sound system but the regular speakers sound just like any other car to me. Transmission has been fine for us. I wish the console between the second row seats was a bit better. It just looks kind of cheap to me.

16.jpg?height=400

The only thing I really didn’t like was the gas pedal. I’m used to gas pedals coming out from under the dash, but it feels like the pedal in the explorer comes up through the floor. Doesn’t sound like a big deal, but the angle is a bit different so it just felt weird for a few days until I got used to it.

forgot to mention that we are a ford family and have never owned any other brand, so he nailed it on that point too lol.

Order the tall console for the Aviator and put it in there or even the shorter Aviator version has some trim on it.