NG Ford Fusion Mule Spied

55 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I thought that mule was revealed early last year,  take nothing much from the cobbled together body as this will be different to a jacked up Mondeo hatch, it’s like they’re merging the station wagon rear with the shorter hatchback.

I can't recall but a mule is something that's easy to forget so you could be right.

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I thought that mule was revealed early last year,  take nothing much from the cobbled together body as this will be different to a jacked up Mondeo hatch, it’s like they’re merging the station wagon rear with the shorter hatchback.

November of last year. Looks like the same car from back then.

https://fordauthority.com/2019/10/ford-fusion-replacement-spied-as-tall-riding-wagon/

2023-Ford-Fusion-Mondeo-Mule-Exterior-Sp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dlcorbett said:

Looks like a ford edge mule to me

If that was the case, it would be far easier to use a current gen Edge cut up since it has a higher belt line.

This is something like a Subaru Outback...basically Ford's take on it. The Outback and Fusion are almost identical in size to one another. 

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know if Ford intends to build the Fusion crossover with the next gen Edge in Canada or keep it going at Hermosillo.

I guess it depends how much production space is needed for Transit connect and baby Bronco plus the TC based pick up......

33 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

If they’re going after increasing market share a wagon isn’t going to do it. 

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_jordanpassman_files_2017_02_USVehicleSalesByYear-1200x927.thumb.jpg.7f0eacce536b934de125f5f0205e61b2.jpg

Its not going to be a straight station wagon-its going to be CUV/Wagon mix...Ford identified Subaru and Jeep as two markets that they can gain market share in since there isn't that much competition and the amount of incentives to enter those markets will be low.

The Fusion Sportback or whatever they are calling it should be interesting how they thread that needle. Not worried about the Bronco or Baby Bronco since they seem to have that nailed down tight vs Jeep. 

Edited by silvrsvt

Calling it a wagon is like calling any midsize CUV a wagon. Fusion is going to be a CUV and my guess is it will end up looking somewhat similar to MACH E, just not EV.

Ford's midsize stable is getting crowded but remember Farley's game plan is to have 3 models in each segment. But since there are no more cars, it's actually not that crowded - remember, Ford has 7 bodystyles now in midsize segment using CD4 platform: Mondeo sedan, Mondeo wagon, Mondeo hatchback, Edge 5 seat, Edge 7 seat, S-Max, and Galaxy; and it is replacing it with 5 models: Mondeo CUV, Edge, Bronco, MACE E, and squareback EV (two of them EVs). If you just focus on ICE for a like-to-like comparison, Ford is shrinking the offering from 7 to 3 - this is also why I think Edge will have 7 seats if Ford sticks to Fusion/Mondeo taking over as the sporty midsize CUV.

Segment: sporty looking/family oriented/rugged looking

Subcompact ICE: Fiesta Active / Puma / EcoSport

Compact ICE: Focus Active / Escape / Bronco Scout or whatever name that sticks

Compact EV: TBD VW MEB based offering #1 / TBD VW MEB based offering #2 / n/a

Midsize ICE: Fusion (sporty fastback) / Edge (squareback) / Bronco (rugged)

Midsize EV: MACH E (sporty fastback) / TBD EV (squareback) / n/a

Large ICE: ??? / Explorer / Everest

Large EV: TBD Rivian based offering / ??? / n/a

Fullsize ICE: Expedition

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What do you think all of these crossovers and SUVs basically are? 

Like myself and I’m wagering many others I’d rather have my Aviator, which is low slung, than say something more akin to an Outback. If it ends up being something like an Outback I don’t see it being a big seller, but we will see in the time to come. 

Edited by Bellanca

26 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

Like myself and I’m wagering many others I’d rather have my Aviator, which is low slung, than say something more akin to an Outback. If it ends up being something like an Outback I don’t see it being a big seller, but we will see in the time to come. 

I agree. Subaru has the only wagons in the entire industry that sell in numbers high enough to matter. The other contenders are usually luxury brands like Volvo, Mercedes or bmw that charge so much for their wagons that it’s ok if they only sell a few of them. In 2018, wagons made up 1.4% of the entire market. The outback made up 1.2% so that left .2% for all the other wagons.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/10/19/subaru-outback-sales/

They have marketed their vehicles well and they definitely have a cult like following, which is why I don’t see ford poaching any of Subaru’s customers. 

the outback also starts at $26k. I don’t see ford selling this thing that cheap either. The edge starts at 31k and the escape starts right below 25k for comparison.

I hope I’m wrong, but im guessing this thing ends up more like the Buick Regal tour x wagon than Subaru Outback.

• Like 1