Burning/Hot Oil Smell

Alex D.

I have a 2014 2.0L AWD with 71,000 miles. The vehicle has recently developed an unmistakable hot/burning oil smell after the drivetrain comes up to normal operating temperature. When idiling or starting the car after a few minutes, the smell fills the cabin through the vents, but goes away once I start driving. The smell also fills the garage upon returning home, but is gone the next day -- so it only develops when hot. There are no oil spotches on the garage floor and I check the level often and it doesn't seem to be dropping. 3 shops have said they can't find a leak. The last shop cleaned the engine bay with degreaser thinking a previous oil change  resulted in a spill, but the smell returned after a few weeks. The smell is strongest from the left side of the engine bay (from the perspective of looking into the engine bay) back near the cowl. I've read a few forum topics on this issue on other forums dedicated to the Escape without a clear cause found. I wanted to consult the collective knowledge on this forum (I'm a 13 year member and read daily but post infrequently) and see if anyone else has experienced this issue and successfully resolved it. Thanks!

Edited by Alex D.