What’s the trick with the automatic tow/haul setting on the 2018+

I have the tow package on my 2018 Reserve and just got a new trailer, it’s 5000 pounds with a 450 tongue weight, this trailer has brakes.  The first time I towed it the tow/haul setting lit up on the dash, the next time it didn’t.  I do have the tow/haul setting set to ‘automatic’ in the menu.  I literally did nothing different but I got different results.  Any suggestions?

I should add that I have a much smaller and lighter trailer that has never caused the tow/haul setting to come on except one time, the trailer was stuck in my yard and it was a real pain to get it out.  I asked my dealer about this and they checked out the vehicle and said everything was operating as it should but they can’t really test it without a trailer, I was happy with that answer seeing as how that trailer weighs about 900 pounds.  However, I’m not willing to leave my new trailer with them to drive around.

48 minutes ago, Black Label said:

When you say the tow/haul setting lit up on the dash, what was the actual message displayed?

There is a little green light in the upper left hand side of the instrument cluster that says ‘tow/haul’ and it stays lit for the duration until I unhitched the trailer.  The driving characteristics are completely different when this feature is on, different shift points and brake pedal seems different but that could be the trailer brakes leading the braking... but the engine braking and different shift points make a dramatic difference in the ease of towing.

Found this. From the guide on Tow/Haul:

"Tow/haul mode and tow/haul mode with integrated engine-exhaust brake (6.7L diesel only) with auto setting give drivers even greater control when traveling downhill

Helps eliminate unwanted frequency of gear shifting on steep uphill grades and allow engine braking to maintain or reduce vehicle speed and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a steep grade"

Not sure if this helps or not. 

Ford_Linc_18RVTTowGuide_r11_Jan4.pdf

20 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Sounds like it is doing what it is designed to do. 

So the ford products have a actual button that you can switch this feature either ‘on’ or ‘off’, in the Lincoln you do not turn it on, it comes on with no user input.  My question is what actually determines what makes it come on because I’ve towed the exact same trailer two times, one time it came on, the other it did not. This link you posted just describes what it does once enabled, which I already know how it works when it is enabled. It’s the automatic enabling I am questioning.

Sorry, trying to help, and I looked up the 2018 Owners Manual and don't see any mention of the automatic mode to explain why it came on this time but not previously. There is an in depth explanation of how top properly hook up and calibrate trailers. I'm sure you have seen all that. Maybe that ties into it?

Edit: I am new to the Navigator and haven't even taken delivery of mine yet, but this is a topic that could affect so I am interested to find out the answer myself. 

Edited by Black Label

Page 212 of the Owners Manual:

Adaptive Tow/Haul Mode

WARNING: Do not use tow/haul

when the road surface is slippery. Failure

to follow this instruction could result in the

loss of control of your vehicle.

Adaptive tow/haul has two modes, automatic

that is enabled by default and off.

To turn adaptive tow/haul off or on, use the

information display controls. See General

Information (page 119). The indicator light

illuminates in the instrument cluster.

Key adaptive tow/haul features:

• The system remains in the same mode,

even after a key cycle.

• Is only available in normal drive modes

(Normal 2H and Normal 4A).

The adaptive tow/haul feature improves

transmission operation when towing a trailer

or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges

are available when using adaptive tow/haul.

For information on towing. See Towing (page

If it is in automatic mode it is supposed to remain in that mode it sounds like and vice versa. Not sure what caused it to turn off. Had the battery been disconnected for any reason?

29 minutes ago, Black Label said:

I'll admit I'm a bit busy otherwise but trying to find how the vehicle recognizes how a trailer is attached to activate tow/haul. I would assume it is when you plug into the trailer. This being in the default automatic mode. 

Tow haul mode does not activate just because a trailer is connected.

• Like 1

Just now, akirby said:

Tow haul mode does not activate just because a trailer is connected.

Oh okay.  I'm sure it's buried in the manual somewhere on how it determines whether it needs to kick it on or not. So, back to the OP and the dealer saying no issues were found, that makes sense that it will kick on when needed based on conditions, as you stated. Kind of like 4 heel drive auto kicking in when needed. 

akirby: My tow/haul green light always seems to come on when I plug in the electrical connector of my car hauler (about 4,200 lbs). I also get a notice that trailer is detected and cross traffic alert is disactivated. It seems to me that if tow/haul were activated by something more than the electrical connection, I wouldn't think it would come on just because I plugged in the electrical connection. It might be that it comes on automatically if the trailer connected has brakes.

Bored: Check your trailer electrical connection. The plug might not be seated properly. Mine always goes into tow/haul mode when I plug it in.

Now if I could just get the 12v aux line to work. It never does.

4 minutes ago, DCP said:

akirby: My tow/haul green light always seems to come on when I plug in the electrical connector of my car hauler (about 4,200 lbs). I also get a notice that trailer is detected and cross traffic alert is disactivated. It seems to me that if tow/haul were activated by something more than the electrical connection, I wouldn't think it would come on just because I plugged in the electrical connection. It might be that it comes on automatically if the trailer connected has brakes.

Bored: Check your trailer electrical connection. The plug might not be seated properly. Mine always goes into tow/haul mode when I plug it in.

I was seeing that the trailer should have a sticker that the rear camera will see and recognize. Maybe this is parti of what causes tow/haul to activate? It requires precise measurements and placement from what I was reading. Wouldn't explain the tow/haul green indicator on sometimes and off at others per the OP. 

Edit: Maybe the sticker just has to do with backup assist to connect a trailer. Sorry if that' the case. 

Edited by Black Label

18 minutes ago, Black Label said:

I was seeing that the trailer should have a sticker that the rear camera will see and recognize. Maybe this is parti of what causes tow/haul to activate? It requires precise measurements and placement from what I was reading. Wouldn't explain the tow/haul green indicator on sometimes and off at others per the OP. 

Edit: Maybe the sticker just has to do with backup assist to connect a trailer. Sorry if that' the case. 

The sticker is to train the system for the trailer backup assist which helps you when backing up the trailer after it's connected.  Has nothing to do with connecting the trailer.

The explanation of when it activates auto tow/haul mode is that Ford has not published that information but it's reasonable to assume it's based on throttle, braking and transmission shifting.   It engages to prevent frequent shifting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

The sticker is to train the system for the trailer backup assist which helps you when backing up the trailer after it's connected.  Has nothing to do with connecting the trailer.

The explanation of when it activates auto tow/haul mode is that Ford has not published that information but it's reasonable to assume it's based on throttle, braking and transmission shifting.   It engages to prevent frequent shifting.

Yeah I'm just not getting things across well today. I see I misspoke above. I meant for the backup assist and added connecting. My mistake. 

And I think we agree on that the system activates based on the things you are saying and Ford doesn't need to tell us why it activates. 

34 minutes ago, DCP said:

I made sure to cram that sucker into the socket making sure it was connected.... I got all the other trailer connection alerts and it automatically recognized the correct trailer, just no tow/haul green light.  Based on what @akirby said I shouldn’t be concerned.  Clearly this vehicle is smarter than me when it comes to what makes it happy about towing.  In all seriousness, when I first towed it I was in Ohio which is super flat, today when I hooked up I was in North Georgia and it’s hilly as hell.  My take away is just let it do what it’s going to do, I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Being an IT person and former software developer I'm more intrigued by the fly by wire and automated safety systems.

As we say, we sit back and watch the magic happen lol. 

Great airplanes. So much redundancy built in and the Flight Control Laws are amazing as well. 

• Like 1