Super Duty Long Box vs Short

Ding126

I have had short beds for 40 years, been towing with them for 35 years.

I wanted extra room in the bed for STUFF when we camp.. I have a fifth wheel and with the hitch, i am limited to what can go with in the bed. I also wanted the stock 48 gallon fuel tank, along with the wee bit smoother ride the extra wheel base will offer. I do not use the bed for work, other than tow, so that was a non issue for me.

8 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

I have had short beds for 40 years, been towing with them for 35 years.

I wanted extra room in the bed for STUFF when we camp.. I have a fifth wheel and with the hitch, i am limited to what can go with in the bed. I also wanted the stock 48 gallon fuel tank, along with the wee bit smoother ride the extra wheel base will offer. I do not use the bed for work, other than tow, so that was a non issue for me.

Basically all the same reasons as you stated.

Thank you for the replies.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've heard that the longer wheelbase of a long bed truck can help with trailer sway.  Always confused me since a SBCC is about the same length as a LBSC and never heard anyone complain too much about trailer sway of a LBSC (in average situations).  Anyone have any real world experience?

Coming from a 2011 CCSB f250 gas to a 2019 f350 diesel CCLB the trailer sway is far less noticeable from the couple times I have pulled so far with the new truck and same trailer.  Other than lower mpg’s I sometimes forget it’s behind me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Had a 2011 F250 CCLB and other than occasionally having a longer walk from a parking spot, never regretted it.  Also looking to upgrade from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel camper and the long bed should work better.  On order: 2020 F350 PSD CCLB.

Here in Seattle we can't really get drywall at the lumberyard and leave it hanging out the back without it getting wet!

The funny thing is that I once went to Home Depot in my Toyota Prius, grabbed a couple 10 foot 2x4s, fit them in the car and completely closed the hatch, while the guy next to me with a 6.5' (commuter size) bed was trying to figure out how to stick some 8 footers out the side window of his topper!

• 6 months later...

I went from 5.5 F150 bed to 6.8 SD bed. The 8' is LONG on this truck with a CC and I would never use the extra length enough to make it worth it to me vs my wife driving it and imagining her trying to swing the 8' into the parking lot. I carry a full size Harley 1500 miles in the bed of the 6.8 and you cant close the gate. But the bike will fit inside and rest completely on the floor and the bed extender provides a semblance of protection for the rear fender. Though I imagine if that bike decides it is going to leave that bed extender stands no chance of changing its mind unlike the tail gate.

After having a 2001 F150 Supercrew for 20 years I needed a long bed to haul plywood and sheet goods. Here in Florida we have alot of rain during the summer months and I make many trips to the supply house at times. I opted out from getting a another supercrew because of the length so went with a supercab instead.  

On 2/19/2021 at 9:48 AM, STDevil said:

Hi all - 

How do you guys fill your diesel tank?

With my 2002 F250 SD, I would fill the tank until the nozzle clicked off, and then slowly trickle in another five gallons until the fuel was at the top of the filler hose (I could see the fuel).  That way, I knew my tank was totally full.

I was wondering if this approach might screw something up with the modern diesel fuel system (I don't know if there's a bunch of extra hoses or vapor canisters), which is why I am asking.

Thanks...

On 2/19/2021 at 10:57 AM, Baddestt said:

Tremor package is only short bed. But I think long bed you get a 12,200 gvwr with 6.7 and 48 gallon tank

You can replace the tank in a short bed, after-market - 50 or 60 gallons.  I also would like a long bed, but only if the turning radius were decreased.  Laying the tailgate flat supports drywall or plywood just fine.  I'm also in the Seattle area, and it's easy enough to wait for a break in the rain.  It rarely rains continuously all day here.  If it were my job, that's another story.

Edited by ScottK1

On 6/23/2020 at 6:05 AM, Aufwand said:

I've heard that the longer wheelbase of a long bed truck can help with trailer sway.  Always confused me since a SBCC is about the same length as a LBSC and never heard anyone complain too much about trailer sway of a LBSC (in average situations).  Anyone have any real world experience?

I think the length of the wheel base makes a world of difference. I use to pull trailers often, after having long beds for 20 years, in 2003                 I purchased a short bed. I really enjoyed the ease of parking the shorter truck, but didn't like the way it handled when pulling. Only kept it a year, and got a 2004 long bed (both junk 6.0L's).  I've been driving a long bed ever since, but am done working, and have ordered a F-250 short bed.

Hopefully it will show up one of these days!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For me, the Pros of  a short bed far outweigh both the Cons of short bed and Pros of the long bed. To name but a few; I plow and maneuverability is vital, Live near Boston, and streets are not conducive to long trucks, Short Bed with tailgate down holds 4 x 8 sheet  just fine and can also tilt it up over tailgate closed if only a few , a 8 foot 2 x 4 will fit inside closed box diagonally , Prefer the looks and proportion of 6 3/4 bed, I run Trac Rac setup, so long lumber is not an an issue, and finally, short bed makes need for crew cab very workable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drove short beds for twenty years. I switched to long beds, five plus years ago and won't go back. The trucks are so much more versatile. For me, there is just so much more I can do with a long bed. I joke that short beds are "grocery getters"?, people worried about parking. I think long beds are becoming more popular and when selling there isn't any competition. Parking isn't an issue for me, because I don't like door dings so we park all our vehicals far out...besides a little exercise is good for you.

Edited by Robin Hood

7 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

I drove short beds for twenty years. I switched to long beds, five plus years ago and won't go back. The trucks are so much more versatile. For me, there is just so much more I can do with a long bed. I joke that short beds are "grocery getters"?, people worried about parking. I think long beds are becoming more popular and when selling there isn't any competition. Parking isn't an issue for me, because I don't like door dings so we park all our vehicals far out...besides a little exercise is good for you.

Long bed pick-ups dominated the market years ago but as trucks grew larger and became more personal vehicles the trend towards short beds grew and accelerated. I ordered all the stock, retail and fleet orders for my dealership for nearly 35 years and the actual stock and retail orders in our market are at least 90% short beds! Those few buying the long bed pick-ups usually have a specific need or have commercial applications.   

On 4/2/2021 at 4:17 AM, ice-capades said:

Long bed pick-ups dominated the market years ago but as trucks grew larger and became more personal vehicles the trend towards short beds grew and accelerated. I ordered all the stock, retail and fleet orders for my dealership for nearly 35 years and the actual stock and retail orders in our market are at least 90% short beds! Those few buying the long bed pick-ups usually have a specific need or have commercial applications.   

I don't disagree at all. I haven't had any trouble selling a long bed and I seem to be seeing, more and more new ones on the road for personal use.

Edited by Robin Hood