How is it possible the temp changes instantly?

I was going out to dinner with the wife and I've noticed from the get-go after buying the car that in the Nautilus the temperature changes are like instantaneous. If I'm going down the road and it's set to 69 and I go to 70 degrees you can feel temperature change and it comes instantly. I can't see how that's possible. When I remarked about it to my wife she agreed that you can easily feel 1 degree changes and within a moment. You would think that's impossible but I notice it every time I drive the car. Anything different about how the heater works in that car? It's amazing and easy to get that comfort zone quickly. I wish my Cadillac would do that....

Well I'm not a complete idiot, I do know that the heater increased will effectively increase the heat but I can't understand the speed of which it reacts. As far as I know, heat is achieved via heater coils within a structure and fan, or liquid from the heat source and the amount of that heat is determined thru deflection of heated liquid thru a bypass source and fan. I'm sure there's lots of variations of how it's done and had to replace the liquid type on my Subaru years ago (bypass valve was stuck). I would think that regardless of what heater source, it would still take time to transfer the energy into what's being heated before it goes out the dashboard. The speed of which I feel a change is so fast that it just makes me wonder how that can be unless there's actual exposed heater coils (within a tunnel) that are just glowing harder and the fan is directly behind it. I can't see how any fluid source could supply a transfer function at speed. Anyway, no big deal but I'm impressed with it. When even my wife takes note without my pointing it out to her, it's different than any other car we've had. ?

1 hour ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Well I'm not a complete idiot, I do know that the heater increased will effectively increase the heat but I can't understand the speed of which it reacts. As far as I know, heat is achieved via heater coils within a structure and fan, or liquid from the heat source and the amount of that heat is determined thru deflection of heated liquid thru a bypass source and fan. I'm sure there's lots of variations of how it's done and had to replace the liquid type on my Subaru years ago (bypass valve was stuck). I would think that regardless of what heater source, it would still take time to transfer the energy into what's being heated before it goes out the dashboard. The speed of which I feel a change is so fast that it just makes me wonder how that can be unless there's actual exposed heater coils (within a tunnel) that are just glowing harder and the fan is directly behind it. I can't see how any fluid source could supply a transfer function at speed. Anyway, no big deal but I'm impressed with it. When even my wife takes note without my pointing it out to her, it's different than any other car we've had. ?

Are you talking about a cold engine/ vehicle or one that's up to temp?  If it's at operating temp your heater core should be around 195 degrees. The actuator opens and allows hotter air to flow through the core and out the vents. If it has a good fan you should feel it.

On diesel Super Duties you can option an electrical auxiliary heater since diesel warm up slower than gas. I could be wrong but I don't think you can get that on you're Nautilus.

Yup, blend doors.. typically 4 of them on a dual zone system.  One controls drivers side hot/cold, one controls passenger hot cold, one controls direction (defrost, floor etc).. dont remember the 4th without looking it up.

The hot air is there, the door controls how much mixes with cold so as you tease the temp, the door diverts instantly so it s hei oyld only take a second or two tops to feel it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, yeah that makes total sense, the blend door just instantly opens and you feel it like right now. I'd think it would be like that on most any car but I've never had that instant one degree feeling before so maybe it's just the vents are a way better design too. I swear in half the cars I've owned you see this vent pointing at you and it like disappears when it gets about a foot away from the dash. You have to turn it to death windtunnel to feel it. It's like one vent cancels the other out as in "out of phase"... I know that's impossible because it's not HF sound, but so many times I wondered why in the heck can't I feel the fan? My Cadillac is like that, I love the car but the fan system could be way better.