7.3 Ike Guantlet

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

You can really see the difference the 10 speed transmission and 4;30 rear make compared to the Chevy's 6 speed and 3:73 rear.  

Most are reporting only a 1 mpg hit compared to the 3.55's so if you're going to work it get the 4:30's.

58 minutes ago, snooter said:

Still stuck with 4:30 gears when it needs to work...if the 1mpg difference is legit w/3:55's its rather pathetic but me thinks we need more data

That 15 mpg unloaded economy number for the 7.3 with 3.73 gears was achieved in what they said was windy conditions

so it is possible that a small influence like wind could knock off 1 mpg. I wonder if 4.3s would allow more sustained use of

tenth gear overdrive under light cruise making the penalty less than imagined.

Also, we need to remember that the Silverado 2500 was tested with 3.73 gears on the Super Ike so no wonder it ran out of breath,

the combination of 6-speed auto and taller rear axle obviously working against the 6.6 gas V8 at altitude. So yeah, I also wonder if

the 7.3 with 3.73 gears would struggle like the 6.6 did or would it still do the Ike Gauntlet in under ten minutes.

Edited by jpd80

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That 15 mpg unloaded economy number for the 7.3 with 3.73 gears was achieved in what they said was windy conditions

so it is possible that a small influence like wind could knock off 1 mpg. I wonder if 4.3s would allow more sustained use of

tenth gear overdrive under light cruise making the penalty less than imagined.

Also, we need to remember that the Silverado 2500 was tested with 3.73 gears on the Super Ike so no wonder it ran out of breath,

the combination of 6-speed auto and taller rear axle obviously working against the 6.6 gas V8 at altitude. So yeah, I also wonder if

the 7.3 with 3.73 gears would struggle like the 6.6 did or would it still do the Ike Gauntlet in under ten minutes.

Why would Chevy have sent a truck with a 3.73 rear end when they new TFL would test it like this.    I would think they would have wanted to put their best foot forward. 

I too would like to see the Ford tested with the 3.73 gears just out of curiosity.  

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

For 2020 3.73 is the only rear axle ratio GM offers on the 6.6L gas.  No other option available.

Wow, what is GM thinking here only offering 3.73 gears, the 6-speed auto makes the 4.3s essential when towing - the 6.2 F250 comes with either 3.73 or 4.30 rear axle ratios.

7 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

We ask this all the time...

Yes!  But, GM's position seems to be that the 6.6L/6 speed combination is a base powertrain, like the 6.2L/TorqShift G is in the Super Duty.  I think GM is working on a larger gas V-8 or at least will offer the 10 speed Allison with the 6.6L gas engine in the future.

Have to say that a few design features of the 7.3L gas engine have me scratching my head, but we will see how it works out.

11 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

Yes!  But, GM's position seems to be that the 6.6L/6 speed combination is a base powertrain, like the 6.2L/TorqShift G is in the Super Duty.  I think GM is working on a larger gas V-8 or at least will offer the 10 speed Allison with the 6.6L gas engine in the future.

Have to say that a few design features of the 7.3L gas engine have me scratching my head, but we will see how it works out.

To my knowledge GM has never offered the premium transmission with gassers while Ford has allows you the option at minimum of the big Torqshift with gas. No excuse for then to not atleast have the 10 speed as an option but typical half ass for Gm’s HD’s.

Big reason my 17 is a 350 and not a 250 was to get the real Torqshift (6R140).

Its not really earth shattering why chebby is not not offering the 4:30....all gassers need the mechanical advantage to pull much of anything and chebby appears to have just went where most of the market resides in the 3/4t trucks...not sure of sales breakdown bettween 3/4t and 1t but 3/4t sales have to be far larger...ram is rumored to be ready to offer a larger hemi as well...bottom line is you need the diesel for loads..i would imagine though 70% of diesel owners out there could have gotten by with the gasser thus saving thousands and the headache of the epa choked diesels

18 minutes ago, snooter said:

Its not really earth shattering why chebby is not not offering the 4:30....all gassers need the mechanical advantage to pull much of anything and chebby appears to have just went where most of the market resides in the 3/4t trucks...not sure of sales breakdown bettween 3/4t and 1t but 3/4t sales have to be far larger...ram is rumored to be ready to offer a larger hemi as well...bottom line is you need the diesel for loads..i would imagine though 70% of diesel owners out there could have gotten by with the gasser thus saving thousands and the headache of the epa choked diesels

You're behind on your rumors.  The 7.0l Hemi was shelved.

Edited by MY93SHO

38 minutes ago, snooter said:

6 years old this may and my 6.7 has had ZERO issues with anything dpf or emissions related.  If you consider 5 gallons of DEF every oil change a headache, then I guess yes.

When you sell, you get back just about every penny of that diesel option so although it does cost more upfront in regards to a payment, it doesnt cost much more in the long run.  Add to that the fun factor of HP/torque, I wouldn't go gas.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, snooter said:

I think that GM has been caught out on two fronts with the 6.6, not using the 10-speed automatic and not offering 4.3 rear gears

or is that to encourage buyers into the bigger 3500?

I keep reminding myself of what you've said before, the 7.3 F250 with 3.73 gears is for easy towing with good economy where

the 6.2 would be maxed out on GCWR with 4.3 gears and most likely, heavier on fuel usage than the new combination.

the Super Ike is an extreme event that most owners will never experience, max GCWR at altitude. With or without 4.3 gears,

the 6.6 looks to be genuinely near its GCWR limit while  the 7.3 looks like it could handle another 4,000 lbsw which is where

the heavier F350 and it 20,000 lb GCWR comes in, we need to see more testing with the heavier 3500s to fill in the blanks.

With regards to a larger gas engine coming for the Silverado, that may or may not be true, any large gasoline engine

is going to eat into those easy diesel sales just above the 6.6 or 7.3 gassers GCWR, that 25,000 lb to 35,000 lb zone

is a perfect match for a large efficient diesel and cutting those sales in half is like throwing away $8,000 per sale 

but worse, spending even more funding and resources to do it.

Edited by jpd80

34 minutes ago, twintornados said:

You cannot get the 10 speed / 4.3 rear in a 3500.

LOL,   meant to type diesel and somehow managed to type bigger 3500 (too many thoughts while typing)

But in any regard, GM has it upper limit  set a lot lower than Ford, the 6.6 gas is a reach up from the 6.0

Sand doesn't really go after the 7.3, Ford is in clean air for now while GM contemplates it's next move.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, snooter said:

Physics...no way around that with the gasser and this is why lectric holds so much advantage ...completly agree with jp...no data of any value exist yet with guys pulling heavy 5'vers (or other) with 7.3 coupled with 10sp

I'm betting Ford adds PFDI  dual injection in a year or so to deliver any perceived gap in power and torque

GM makes a lot of noise about BEV trucks but the truth is they are late to the game and racing to catch up.

Everytime GM tries to be first, they screw things up for long term viability. Ford will skip away in Super duty

because once again, GM skimped on its HD trucks

Edited by jpd80

There is no way to overcome the gap in torque when you compare to gas or diesel...lectric wins every time....its futile to even go there....chebby is simply not playing in a market where where gasser hits its limits, they simply selling dirtymax up the line...10 sp is a huge improvement behind 7.3...market the truck where it belongs and that combo holds huge advantage in 3/4t and with some applications in the 1t as well

19 minutes ago, snooter said:

There is no way to overcome the gap in torque when you compare to gas or diesel...lectric wins every time....its futile to even go there....chebby is simply not playing in a market where where gasser hits its limits, they simply selling dirtymax up the line...10 sp is a huge improvement behind 7.3...market the truck where it belongs and that combo holds huge advantage in 3/4t and with some applications in the 1t as well

How you're imagining electric trucks is what GM wants you to believe but the truth will be a hard choice between

either a limited battery range  or a very expensive long range BEV truck with long re charging time.........

It will come down to commercial buyers doing the heavy lifting and paying for technology and infrastructure.

In my opinion, that's the only way to effectively roll out electrification and charging network quick enough for

everyone else to get on board.

Edited by jpd80