2021 XLT Sport Appearance Package

1 hour ago, edselford said:

Ford needs to do one more thing by giving the customer a no cost option to equip the XLT Sports package with a dual injection 3.3 liter  or 3.5 liter naturally asperated V6.

Uh no....both engines don't offer any improvements to the Ecoboost I4 it has already....

11 hours ago, edselford said:

Ford needs to do one more thing by giving the customer a no cost option to equip the XLT Sports package with a dual injection 3.3 liter  or 3.5 liter naturally asperated V6.

the explorers would then start flying off the dealer lots!

edselford

What??  You realize the 2.3 is rated quite a bit higher than the 3.5 that was in the 5th gen?  

10 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

What??  You realize the 2.3 is rated quite a bit higher than the 3.5 that was in the 5th gen?  

Sometimes it's not all about the numbers. Sometimes, it's perception about the technology. After my recent experience, I'm not sure I'll buy another EB.  It would be a shame if I have to look at another brand.

HRG

11 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Sometimes it's not all about the numbers. Sometimes, it's perception about the technology. After my recent experience, I'm not sure I'll buy another EB.  It would be a shame if I have to look at another brand.

HRG

How many 2.0, 2.3, 2.7, 3.0 and 3.5s are out there?  Just because one has had an issue doesnt mean the hundreds of thousands all have it.  Everyone on here should know that by now.

How about all the blown up 3.5s with the internal water pump that leaks all their coolant into the engine?

I would sell my 2020 ST in a heartbeat if they offered the 5.0 in it.  That V8 sound is really the only thing missing out of the current ST.

Edited by blwnsmoke

4 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I would sell my 2020 ST in a heartbeat if they offered the 5.0 in it.  That V8 sound is really the only thing missing out of the current ST.

I rest my case. In your defense of the EB's, even you would replace yours with a naturally-aspirated V8 of greater displacement.

Done. HRG

I think we are saying the same thing. Not everyone wants ecoboost!  Why haven’t the other OEM’s gone that way? GM, Toyota Kia Hyundai on similar sized vehicles?

Your idea of a V8 is a great idea. Maybe it could be the new 4.8 liter V8 we read about on the new 2021 F150?

We could call the V8 the Explorer SST

edselford

On 2/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

I rest my case. In your defense of the EB's, even you would replace yours with a naturally-aspirated V8 of greater displacement.

Done. HRG

There is nothing wrong with the EB.  Your point is invalid.  A NA 3.5 was pushing 290hp, 253tq and was terrible off the line really requiring you to rev the crap out of it.

The 3.0 is 400/415, HUGE difference.. a NA 3.5 cant compete whatsoever.

And yes,I'd love the 5.0..  460hp, 420tq and can easily throw a SC on it..  and to add that roar.  That isnt knocking the EB at all.  You wont get a v8 roar out of a NA 3.5 lol..  so again, your point is completely invalid with what I said.

14 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

There is nothing wrong with the EB.  Your point is invalid.  A NA 3.5 was pushing 290hp, 253tq and was terrible off the line really requiring you to rev the crap out of it.

The 3.0 is 400/415, HUGE difference.. a NA 3.5 cant compete whatsoever.

And yes,I'd love the 5.0..  460hp, 420tq and can easily throw a SC on it..  and to add that roar.  That isnt knocking the EB at all.  You wont get a v8 roar out of a NA 3.5 lol..  so again, your point is completely invalid with what I said.

I'm happy that Ford currently offers a product that you're willing to purchase.  I'll be even happier once the stock price gets back above 9 bucks.

Unless I lose my company car, I'm probably 2 years off from making my next vehicle purchase.  We'll see what the Blue Oval offers at that time, that fits my needs & budget.

HRG

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Funny how turbos on Diesel engines are coveted and praised and nobody every complains about them, but ecoboosts are constantly panned even though they were developed exactly the same way - with turbocharging as a base requirement.

Please stop making sense.. it isn't a good look.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, mpcmotorsports said:

I've been selling Fords since 2018. I always preferred the EB engines in the Explorer and Edge when they offered the NA 3.5. Some consumers just don't get the benefits of turbocharging. All they here is "4 cylinder" and they shut down.

Maybe those consumers experienced first generation Ecoboost engines, which had noticeable turbo lag, some reliability issues, and poor real world fuel economy. This could be a good opportunity to inform your customers and prospects of the many improvements in second and third generation Ecoboost engines.

• Like 1

Well why has Porsche 

just released a 718 GTS with a naturally asperated  4 liter six cylinder????

Maybe a modern revised 3.5 naturally asperated V6 is not a bad idea!

I could see about 345. HP and about 275 Lbs ft torque. (Port and direct injected)

With displacement on demand, we would run on 3 cylinders under light loads match or beat fuel economy of the 2.3 ecoboost.

edselford

10 hours ago, edselford said:

Well why has Porsche 

just released a 718 GTS with a naturally asperated  4 liter six cylinder????

Maybe a modern revised 3.5 naturally asperated V6 is not a bad idea!

I could see about 345. HP and about 275 Lbs ft torque. (Port and direct injected)

With displacement on demand, we would run on 3 cylinders under light loads match or beat fuel economy of the 2.3 ecoboost.

edselford

3.5 won’t fit in C2 transverse applications very well - that’s why the old cyclone 3.5 had an internal water pump.  

You already have the 3.3L NA V6 available - not much point in creating a new 3.5L for a few more HP.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:04 AM, akirby said:

Funny how turbos on Diesel engines are coveted and praised and nobody every complains about them, but ecoboosts are constantly panned even though they were developed exactly the same way - with turbocharging as a base requirement.

All of our company cars have been EcoBoost powered since 2012 and we've put a combined 600,000 miles on them without a single major problem (except for a transmission in a 2013 Escape with 140,000 miles). Our current oldest vehicle in the is a 2014 Fusion with a 2.0EB with 120,000 miles. Still going strong.

On 2/14/2020 at 9:23 AM, mpcmotorsports said:

I've been selling Fords since 2018. I always preferred the EB engines in the Explorer and Edge when they offered the NA 3.5. Some consumers just don't get the benefits of turbocharging. All they here is "4 cylinder" and they shut down.

My wife & I test drove Explorers with a 3.5NA and 2.3EB back to back and went with the 2.3EB, it was a no brainer. I bet a tune would really wake it up.

• Like 1

You can’t compare a 2019 Explorer 3.5 NA to a 2020 2.3 EB because the 2019 has a six speed with about a 6 to one ratio spread where the 2020 has a ten speed with a 7.14 to 1 ratio spread! Obviously the 2020 chassis is going to feel better regardless of engine!

Explorer sales are down by quite a bit. The XLTSport package will help some but price versus content needs to be addressed.

edselford

4 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

My wife & I test drove Explorers with a 3.5NA and 2.3EB back to back and went with the 2.3EB, it was a no brainer. I bet a tune would really wake it up.

I've said this before but I had a 2013 Fusion 2.0EB and now have a F150 3.5LEB.   Wife went from a 3.5LNA Edge to a 2.0LEB Escape which turned out to be too small for us so we moved to a 3.7LNA 2016 MKX.   Every time I drive it I wish we had waited and ordered the 2.7LEB.   Wife couldn't care less and the 3.7L is perfectly adequate I just don't like the way it feels after getting used to ecoboosts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edselford said:

You can’t compare a 2019 Explorer 3.5 NA to a 2020 2.3 EB because the 2019 has a six speed with about a 6 to one ratio spread where the 2020 has a ten speed with a 7.14 to 1 ratio spread! Obviously the 2020 chassis is going to feel better regardless of engine!

Explorer sales are down by quite a bit. The XLTSport package will help some but price versus content needs to be addressed.

edselford

They are upgrading the base interiors beyond just the Sport package, which should help.   And we won't know the true sales picture for another few months as they just now seem to be finding the sweet spot on pricing/rebates and inventory.   I bet it ends up pretty close to the steady state of the previous gen once it's all said and done.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:16 AM, edselford said:

Explorer sales are down by quite a bit

Do you ever think it was because of the shitty launch of the model?

18 hours ago, edselford said:

Maybe ford needs to make the 3.0 V6 ecoboost engine optional on the XLT sport package?

use the 385 hp motor not the ST motor.

Why? Your removing any incentives for people to buy an Explorer Platinum, the XLT Sport Package is just a dress up addition. 

• Like 1