2021 Cadillac Escalade Debuts

rmc523

Placeholder thread for Escalade's full reveal this evening, but these images have leaked ahead of time:

9963DC23-1D5C-464A-A9ED-2E56DB591733-1024x473.png

8D1AE3BF-8761-4B62-9E79-C7CD27E452CE-1024x473.png

F418A0BD-4ACA-46D6-B804-C3751FE0D4E5-1024x473.png

C41F40A8-BDC1-4D2D-B64B-4A9A5FE879B9-1024x473.png

FD7D6367-03D5-47D1-A97F-4D63D6D05A54-1024x473.png

burlappcar-cadillac-escalade-1.jpg

burlappcar-cadillac-escalade-2.jpg

It does look nice. Something about the front end doesn't match with the sides though - the front is very angular, while the side seems to be more smooth.

The interior looks very nice, though I really have to question why the center console/gear selector area is so high up. It looks like you're going to be in a bath tub.

Side view looks like...a Navigator. Still has the inexplicably monstrous tail lights. Grill is more understated again, like the Nav, IMHO. Interior looks a bit nicer than the previous. Wonder if the 3rd row is still not suitable for anyone taller than 5'4" and 135 pounds. 

I'm sure they will sell a ton of them. Not sure why. 

I kinda liked the taillights, but not blacked out like in the picture. The headlights don’t seem in proportion the the rest of the front. Maybe it’s just because I’m not used to seeing horizontal headlights on an Escalade. The interior looks nice from what I can see.

3 minutes ago, grbeck said:

Not crazy about the small headlights on that massive front, but it's otherwise okay. I don't see it changing anything regarding the public's perception of Cadillac.

They sell a ton of those, so you mean you think they will continue to sella ton and outsell the Navigator?

Damn Tony Soprano. I blame him. 

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

They sell a ton of those, so you mean you think they will continue to sella ton and outsell the Navigator?

Damn Tony Soprano. I blame him. 

Yes, I think the Escalade will continue to outsell the Navigator. GM's full-size SUVs have a large and generally satisfied audience.

Cadillac's problem is with the smaller models. The XT6 and XT5 aren't as compelling as their direct Lincoln competitors.

3 minutes ago, grbeck said:

Yes, I think the Escalade will continue to outsell the Navigator. GM's full-size SUVs have a large and generally satisfied audience.

Cadillac's problem is with the smaller models. The XT6 and XT5 aren't as compelling as their direct Lincoln competitors.

I guess there is no accounting for taste. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Black Label said:

I guess there is no accounting for taste. 

Ford didn't comprehensively update the Navigator (and Expedition) for several years before bringing out the current version. GM did more to update the Escalade (and its other full-size SUVs). The Escalade thus built up more brand equity and public awareness during that time.

1 minute ago, grbeck said:

Ford didn't comprehensively update the Navigator (and Expedition) for several years before bringing out the current version. GM did more to update the Escalade (and its other full-size SUVs). The Escalade thus built up more brand equity and public awareness during that time.

I completely agree. I'm just saying the new Navigator is so nice that brand loyalty to the Escalade is short sighted IMHO but that's how people are. 

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what Lincoln does for the refresh.  I wonder if they touch the interior, or if they take the recent Ford MO of ignoring the interior and just doing a front end, and a minor taillight change. 

If it's a bigger change, I could see Lincoln flipping the taillights so that they're flat on top to better match Aviator and Corsair.

15 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It'll be interesting to see what Lincoln does for the refresh.  I wonder if they touch the interior, or if they take the recent Ford MO of ignoring the interior and just doing a front end, and a minor taillight change. 

If it's a bigger change, I could see Lincoln flipping the taillights so that they're flat on top to better match Aviator and Corsair.

Wasn't there a pretty big interior refresh around 2015 on the Navigator?

11 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Wasn't there a pretty big interior refresh around 2015 on the Navigator?

Not a major refresh. The 15-17 Navigators just got new gauges put in the existing cluster and the IP was partially replaced to incorporate the new switchgear (largely the same way it was done on the 2013 Flex). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Not a major refresh. The 15-17 Navigators just got new gauges put in the existing cluster and the IP was partially replaced to incorporate the new switchgear (largely the same way it was done on the 2013 Flex). 

Oh okay. Admittedly I am not aware fo what other manufacturers do with refreshes vs. redesigns. 

1 hour ago, PREMiERdrum said:

They also gave it new materials (leather covered dash), but that was about it.

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Oh okay. Admittedly I am not aware of what other manufacturers do with refreshes vs. redesigns. 

Many manufacturers will give a new dash for a refresh.  Ford itself had done that years ago (examples include the Edge/MKX which were new for 2007 and got a new interior for 2011).

Sometimes, they'll redo part of a dash.

Lately all Ford has done is switch a shifter to the rotary shifter and include a wireless charging pad and nothing else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Black Label said:

I completely agree. I'm just saying the new Navigator is so nice that brand loyalty to the Escalade is short sighted IMHO but that's how people are. 

After seeing the Escalade, I still prefer the Navigator. But I don't have the resources to buy either one, so that ultimately doesn't matter.

• Like 1