Full year Profits Plunge $3.6B, Slower Sales/Pension

IMO, it's time for Hackett to go.  He has been a disaster.  This is what Hackett said this time last year about Ford's poor results and the outlook for 2019:

For Ford, 2018 will be known as the year between the business that wasn't designed right and the business that we know will win. Certainly, it was a challenging year, in that we were hit by some headwinds outside of our control and, frankly, poor performance in some parts of the business which we have now taken action to address. Importantly, 2018 was a year of progress where we laid the foundation for a much stronger, more resilient, and more dynamic business. A business that we want to tell you can thrive now and in the future.

So, I am really optimistic as we enter 2019. We have a clear vision, we have a solid plan, and we are in execution mode. We're fortifying and building on our strengths to start and taking decisive action to address underperforming parts of the business, some that you know about

2019 ended up far worse than even 2018 was.  The Explorer launch was a disaster, warranty costs continue to increase, every single market including North America is seeing declines, Ford continues to bleed market share, and the mobility division continues to be an increasingly larger drag on profitability.  $3.7 billion net income in 2018 down to a measly $47 million in 2019.  The only bright spot in 2019 was Ford Credit.  I had high hopes for Hackett, but he is proving to be a major disappointment.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, probowler said:

At this stage I think we need to wait for the Broncos to launch before we hit the eject button.  

You can only do so much while you wait for the new products to launch.... hopefully they learn from Explorer and ensure the new vehicles coming don't have that problem.

MAP launch team is the best in the company. I am 100% confident there won't be any major SNAFUs 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Explorer, a vehicle that was a cash cow for Ford in the past, almost send Ford to bankrupcy in 2019. A vehicle that uses a platform used only by it (and the Aviator...), a vehicle that must be the new "family car" for Ford, replacing the Taurus and the Fusion, is a vehicle that is selling worst than the previus generation and a vehicle which had a completely disastrous launch, where the cars already assembled had to be sent to another plant to be repaired, which consumed millions of dollars. This Explorer/Aviator disaster is the complete responsibility of Hackett, of no one else. His team of operations has not done the work for which he is hired, he has had to intervene on time or fire them. Now who should leave is Hackett.

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

The Explorer, a vehicle that was a cash cow for Ford in the past, almost send Ford to bankrupcy in 2019. A vehicle that uses a platform used only by it (and the Aviator...), a vehicle that must be the new "family car" for Ford, replacing the Taurus and the Fusion, is a vehicle that is selling worst than the previus generation and a vehicle which had a completely disastrous launch, where the cars already assembled had to be sent to another plant to be repaired, which consumed millions of dollars. This Explorer/Aviator disaster is the complete responsibility of Hackett, of no one else. His team of operations has not done the work for which he is hired, he has had to intervene on time or fire them. Now who should leave is Hackett.

And yet the biggest hit to profitability in Q4 was a one time charge of $ 2.2 billion to pension funding,

blaming it all on the poor start to Explorer production is at best, superficial. A lot of that is now healed

and as said many times before, Ford's higher prices more than explains a slowing of most vehicle sales.

Every new model is more expensive from mid trim up, it's just the way Ford is with pricing these days.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

And yet the biggest hit to profitability in Q4 was a one time charge of $ 2.2 billion to pension funding,

blaming it all on the poor start to Explorer production is at best, superficial. A lot of that is now healed

and as said many times before, Ford's higher prices more than explains a slowing of most vehicle sales.

Every new model is more expensive from mid trim up, it's just the way Ford is with pricing these days.

And the other 1.4 billions by why? Because Hacketts plan to replace all cars with SUVs is not working. You can take the pension fund expenses as an excuse now. But in the 1rst and 2nd quarter of 2020 I want to know what will be your excuses.

I´m a Ford fan, but I can see that the plan is not working.  Not yet. Not with the new Explorer, and barely with the new Escape. 

If you take out the 1 time charges for restructuring and pensions in 3rd and 4th qtr it doesn't look all that bad to me.   Revenue was only down 5% with the Explorer/Aviator launch issues and Escape/Corsair ramp up and no Focus, Cmax or Fiesta and Fusion on life support.

I agree they need to take a bigger interest in quality.  I think they've been trying to skate by hoping quality would be ok while diverting funds to new projects.  Hopefully that gets fixed now.

• Like 4

I'm just a dumb ole country boy truck driver, but even I know you can't charge more for a substandard product and expect success. 

If the Explorer was to the quality level of yore, we would have not looked elsewhere, even with higher prices. I'm a firm believer in spending more to get a quality product...you get what you pay for, if you will. I have always bought Ford trucks even though GM & Mopar were substantially cheaper. I felt the Ford would last longer.

In current environment with Ford; that's no longer valid.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, akirby said:

If you take out the 1 time charges for restructuring and pensions in 3rd and 4th qtr it doesn't look all that bad to me.   Revenue was only down 5% with the Explorer/Aviator launch issues and Escape/Corsair ramp up and no Focus, Cmax or Fiesta and Fusion on life support.

I agree they need to take a bigger interest in quality.  I think they've been trying to skate by hoping quality would be ok while diverting funds to new projects.  Hopefully that gets fixed now.

How much longer do they talk about quality? That is all they do is talk. They have had quality issues for 30 years. Nothing has changed. Look at Hyundia and Kia. When they first came to the states their quality was terrible especially Hyundia now look at them. Ford doesn't know how to fix it's quality issues. 

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

Because Hacketts plan to replace all cars with SUVs is not working.

The overall plan (replace car with SUV /CUV) is not bad, just terrible EXECUTION !  You NEVER come out and say, months ahead of time, that you are discontinuing a products.  You just let it slowly sink into the sunset with as little fanfare as possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, probowler said:

I regret buying F a couple days ago... guess i'll buy more later to offset it!

I've had a limit order in at $8.30 for a while now, it has bounced down there a couple of times already. Hopefully I've guessed where the bottom could be, or at least close to it,,,,

HRG

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snooter said:

They need to work on interior design-that is killing the brand along with msrp...id like to see a single cab long bed stx sport truck f350 with couple bucket seats and center console..

Snooter,

Does any of the competition offer that combination now?  Obviously the parts exist to build such a truck, but I'm guessing that market research has indicated that there is almost no market for a 2-passenger HD pickup.

HRG

14 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Snooter,

Does any of the competition offer that combination now?  Obviously the parts exist to build such a truck, but I'm guessing that market research has indicated that there is almost no market for a 2-passenger HD pickup.

HRG

The answer is none....but it could be done...my real gripe here is the package pricing that forces me into certain combinations and crap i do not want..i still think a market for a single cab sport truck does exist....the stx package is nice...inlude a front winch factory option and real bucket seats with center console and it could generate some sales....historically the market for short bed trucks above 1/2t has not been great...but they are desirable today and that may be something to consider

44 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I've had a limit order in at $8.30 for a while now, it has bounced down there a couple of times already. Hopefully I've guessed where the bottom could be, or at least close to it,,,,

HRG

Got mine this morning around 10am at $8.28, dividend yield of 7.25%

• Like 1