Defective Heads Up Display

Amyz

Well, Lincoln Concierge agreed to exchange my  lemon Lincoln Aviator (see Lincoln Aviator Roof Leak topic) which I was very pleased with.  Unfortunately, the new one we purchased last week (exact same vehicle and price which was produced in 12/19)  had some flaws when we were first inspected it.  These included grease on the headliner, scuff marks on the inside of the driver's door, a marred left rear wheel well molding, a warped misaligned plastic molding in the cargo area along the left rear pillar, a slightly misaligned hood,  and over 140 miles on vehicle that supposedly came right from the factory!  To make a long story short, with the exception of the slight hood misalignment, all of the other problems were repaired and we accepted the vehicle as is.  As we are driving home, I turned on  the heads up display. Initially, it had a background that looked like stars (which I immediately reported to the dealership).  We were told it was either a "setting" or simply that the area needed to be wiped due to some residual chemical.  Neither of these were the case!  In fact,  over the past week the display has become so cloudy and white like snow that you can't even read the speed limit or other numbers (see photo). This is not only distracting but very dangerous.  We are so discouraged and now have buyer's remorse.  As much as we like the looks, the drive, and comfort of the vehicle, we have lost faith in the product.  We now wish that we chose the option of taking the reimbursement check and walking from Lincoln products.  Where is the quality control??

In two days we go back to the service department and also meet with the general manager of the dealership.  I will tell them if they have to disassemble the dashboard to fix the issue, we no longer want the vehicle.  I don't know what their response will be but for a $74000 vehicle we are zero for two and disgusted!

Has anyone seen this problem on the Aviator??

IMG_2615.jpeg

It looks like the heads up display is a one piece module located directly under the top dash cover, so I don't think replacing it will require disassembly of the entire dashboard.  But it appears the modules are on back order:

Part#: 19G468

Usages: 05/06/2019, CTV Lincoln Aviator 2020-, With Advanced Heads Up Display

Item is currently on back order. Contact Your Dealer to check on part availability.

Your Price: $1,376.24

MSRP:  $1,529.16

Edited by CoolScoop

Thanks for the information.  If they make me wait for the part and don't replace it right away on my brand new second "lemon", I'm going to fight tooth and nail for a refund and walk away from Lincoln products!

In addition, after owning this second vehicle for one whole week,  today we began experiencing all kinds of electrical warning signs in the dash board (just like our first Aviator)!  We have a meeting with the service manager and general manager of the dealership tomorrow.  Not sure how it will go but we have lost all faith in the Aviator.  It's a darn shame! 

Latest update!  We spent over 30 minutes meeting with the general manager of the Gettel Lincoln dealership in Punta Gorda, Fl.  He was the nicest, most understanding person anyone could ask for.  He offered us the option of a third Aviator or a total refund of ALL monies we paid.  We elected to take the latter option and walk away from the Aviator, with hopes that it will improve in the future.  This manager was such a gentleman that hopefully we will be able to do business at one of the other 2 dealerships he manages or one of the 19 that are in the Gettel corporation.  We are renting a vehicle for now until we find an SUV with 3 rows that meets our standards and is not a first edition model!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow you folks sure have had bad luck. It is great that the GM permitted the reimbursement it shows that they operate in a good faith manner. All that stress from both them vehicles must have been enormous. Good luck on the next choice. I sure hope I don’t experience any of the things you did but I’m thankful that you posted about them so we can be in the know.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if you have taken delivery on your third Aviator yet?

We have requested a buy back on our Aviator and awaiting the results... We have had soooo many issues, the car has spent way too much time away from home for repairs that may or may not have been resolved. So frustrating. ?

41 minutes ago, ROCKO1998 said:

We have requested a buy back on our Aviator and awaiting the results... We have had soooo many issues, the car has spent way too much time away from home for repairs that may or may not have been resolved. So frustrating. ?

Sorry to hear that, can you give us a brief list of problems you have? Hope Lincoln will by back your Aviator. 

3 hours ago, ROCKO1998 said:

We were offered a third Aviator  vs full refund (including mileage) and opted for the latter. Although we really loved the vehicle, we suspect it will take a few years to work out the kinks. We lost faith and were not willing to take a chance a third time!

7 hours ago, ROCKO1998 said:

We have requested a buy back on our Aviator and awaiting the results... We have had soooo many issues, the car has spent way too much time away from home for repairs that may or may not have been resolved. So frustrating. 

What kind of problems are you having and what are they saying about the difficulties correcting them?  

Edited by CoolScoop

21 hours ago, Wheeling said:

Sorry to hear that, can you give us a brief list of problems you have? Hope Lincoln will by back your Aviator. 

some of the problems that have been addressed with our Aviator:

air conditioner inop.- replaced leaking coolant hose

rear window washer not spraying- line was kinked

exterior lock kepad not locking- replaced

loud clicking sound in the front end- this was a air suspension line dislodged and hitting something going down the road

information screen would turn black and lock up- software update

air suspension fault drive below 30 mph came on in the dash- dealer didn't fix anything because they didn't know why it happened 

items to be addressed on my fifth service visit:

steering not fluid, seems to fight you at highway speed in and out of turns, this happens with or without driver assist turned on

seats do not cool

powertrain malfunction/reduced power came on in the dash

4wd malfunction service required came on in the dash

driver seat moves without touching any buttons and at random times

buttons don't work consistently on the info screen like station memory and hang up phone

I may be forgetting one or two but you get the idea

Edited by ROCKO1998

7 hours ago, Amyz said:

We were offered a third Aviator  vs full refund (including mileage) and opted for the latter. Although we really loved the vehicle, we suspect it will take a few years to work out the kinks. We lost faith and were not willing to take a chance a third time!

Wow, okay I understand! thanks for the info

11 hours ago, ROCKO1998 said:

some of the problems that have been addressed with our Aviator:

air conditioner inop.- replaced leaking coolant hose

rear window washer not spraying- line was kinked

exterior lock kepad not locking- replaced

loud clicking sound in the front end- this was a air suspension line dislodged and hitting something going down the road

information screen would turn black and lock up- software update

air suspension fault drive below 30 mph came on in the dash- dealer didn't fix anything because they didn't know why it happened 

items to be addressed on my fifth service visit:

steering not fluid, seems to fight you at highway speed in and out of turns, this happens with or without driver assist turned on

seats do not cool

powertrain malfunction/reduced power came on in the dash

4wd malfunction service required came on in the dash

driver seat moves without touching any buttons and at random times

buttons don't work consistently on the info screen like station memory and hang up phone

I may be forgetting one or two but you get the idea

Lincoln Concierge just called to tell me that our "buy back" was declined.  I will be leaving it with the dealer to work on the current issues March 18, so we'll see.

26 minutes ago, ROCKO1998 said:

Lincoln Concierge just called to tell me that our "buy back" was declined.  I will be leaving it with the dealer to work on the current issues March 18, so we'll see.

Good luck with your repair. This is unacceptable to any owner. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, ROCKO1998 said:

Wow!  I would research the vehicle lemon law in your state, and contact and attorney that specializes in the law - if your vehicle appears to meet the buy-back criteria.

Good luck.