7.3 D.Van/ Chassis/ RV

2 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

F59's frame uses "e-coat," per Ford's Web site, but its frame looks to be relatively simple straight C-channel, with everything bolted together. 

Galvanized chassis is an option on the F59.  The chassis that TFL drove was galvanized.

19 hours ago, jpd80 said:

You can get nasty cracking on galvanised parts subject to constant flexing. What a lot of people don’t know is that if the acid gets left in behind fillet welds it can start cracking from inside out.

we had a major issue with that when a lot of our larger road signage went away from blast and paint to hot dip gal, lots of potential unexpected failures. The only way to avoid is seal everything up ( not possible or desirable with hot dip gal) or make every weld full penetration with nowhere for the acid to hang, both are very costly options but not impossible.

I have only seen that problem with lower quality steels. And it is not the acid (as the temperature of the molten zinc will vaporize any pickling acid remaining on the part) but interactions of heat and the zinc with impurities in the weld zone. Also, I would trust that any welds on a truck frame would be full penetration anyway.

My understanding was the 6.2L didn't fit in the E series either.  Then, 2 years ago, Ford figured out a way to make it fit, only to dump it in favor of the new 7.3L.....

The 6R140 continues in the 650 and 750 too.  Honestly I would have liked to see the 6R140 available with the 7.3L in the 2020 Super Duty 250 and 350.  I really like that transmission and have had excellent service from them.  Not sure I like these new 10 speeds yet.  

1 hour ago, lfeg said:

I have only seen that problem with lower quality steels. And it is not the acid (as the temperature of the molten zinc will vaporize any pickling acid remaining on the part) but interactions of heat and the zinc with impurities in the weld zone. Also, I would trust that any welds on a truck frame would be full penetration anyway.

Low quality steel wouldn't be an issue with Super Duty frames.  50,000-80,000 psi throughout.   

1 hour ago, lfeg said:

All the zinc does is dry out the residual acid, it sits there like a time bomb in the back side crevices, add vibration and flexing and you get HAZ cracking beginning from inside out.

It has nothing to do with low quality steel, it’s a different failure mechanism.

Edited by jpd80

20 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Galvanized chassis is an option on the F59.  The chassis that TFL drove was galvanized.

You know more about this, so I'll take your word for it. I thought the chassis they show on the F59 Web page looked galvanized, but all it says is "e-coat." Funny, they tell you the 7.3 has an iron block and 'loomnum heads, but about all they say about the frame is that it has one...;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

You know, it would be just like Ford to design a new engine or transmission for super duty and then realize it doesn't fit in E series, aka 2V vs 3V 5.4/6.8 and diesels after the 6.0. So I wouldn't be surprised if Ford is still building the 6R140 specifically for E series 10 years from now....

The E series is as old as me-45 years old. Its a cash cow, but at the same time, you can't let something that is nearly 50 years old drive what you do with a product that is alot newer and assuming more profitable in the Super Duty.

Plus isn't the E series going away in the next 10 years or less? 

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The E series is as old as me-45 years old. Its a cash cow, but at the same time, you can't let something that is nearly 50 years old drive what you do with a product that is alot newer and assuming more profitable in the Super Duty.

Plus isn't the E series going away in the next 10 years or less? 

I would think that an updated cab structure would keep E-Series in business for the foreseeable future and also be used in Medium Duty with a tilt forward nose. Remember the Top Kick / Kodiak from GM?? It used a cab structure shared with the Express full size van. I really believe Ford could do a "common cab" for both lines to save money. 

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, twintornados said:

I would think that an updated cab structure would keep E-Series in business for the foreseeable future and also be used in Medium Duty with a tilt forward nose. Remember the Top Kick / Kodiak from GM?? It used a cab structure shared with the Express full size van. I really believe Ford could do a "common cab" for both lines to save money. 

I believe  TT you are preaching to the choir?--small as we may be!

• Like 1