2020 Mustang Eco Boost Hi Performance

Ralph Greene

I'm asking about the new Eco Boost Hi Performance Turbo 4 option. The 332 HP 350 FT LB TQ engine from the Focus Rally car. Engine is made in Spain. It's an option on the 2020 base Mustang. Has anyone driven one? I'm aware of the external changes to the engine....larger turbo, radiator, head gaskets, etc. How about the internals? Were the pistons, rods, crank changed? Some of you have access to build info. Thanks

16 hours ago, Ralph Greene said:

I'm asking about the new Eco Boost Hi Performance Turbo 4 option. The 332 HP 350 FT LB TQ engine from the Focus Rally car. Engine is made in Spain. It's an option on the 2020 base Mustang. Has anyone driven one? I'm aware of the external changes to the engine....larger turbo, radiator, head gaskets, etc. How about the internals? Were the pistons, rods, crank changed? Some of you have access to build info. Thanks

Not much, but here's what I could find:

The engine, built in Valencia, Spain, and shipped to the U.S., is modified a bit for Mustang duty. In addition to getting a new oil pan, the engine’s diecast aluminum block had to be altered slightly to accommodate the longitudinal 6-speed manual and 10-speed automatic transmissions.

More significant, Ford wanted a broader torque curve than in the Focus RS. To accomplish this, the company switched to a 5-percent-larger twin-scroll turbocharger, which means 90 percent of the peak torque is now available between 2,500 rpm and 5,300 rpm. Ford says the torque curve is some 40 percent wider than that of the standard EcoBoost 2.3. Peak boost is 22 psi, and a larger radiator helps keep temperatures in check.

https://www.kbb.com/articles/reviews/2020-ford-mustang-ecoboost-high-performance/

Edited by Harley Lover

Thanks....I have seen that. I ask because some years ago.....I supercharged several NA versions of the 4 valve 4.6. If I turned the boost way up....usually had problems with stock pistons and rods....first. With 14 lbs boost from sea level atmosphere (Florida)....and adding about 14-15 more from super charger.....something would eventually let go. These Eco Boost engines are running more boost (14.6 at sea level plus turbo charge of around 20) than I ever did with supercharging those old 4.6 NA Mustang Cobra's. So what is factory doing for internals. I know they can't be using 2.3 internals from recent NA 2.3 engines.

Currently the parts catalog shows one piston and one rod for all 2.3L Mustang. It may not be updated though.

There hasn't been an 2.3 N/A for quite some time. 2007 was the last year for Focus, 08 Escape/Mariner, 09 for Fusion/Milan and Ranger carried through till its' demise in 2011. Besides being made of metal, nearly everything is different from those. I wonder if they will cheap out and keep the same FWD timing cover. It's still funny to me to open the hood on one and see it. 

Thanks for info. Maybe Spanish build Focus Rally parts not normal replacement parts for Mustang. Don't know. I'm interested because I always thought those 4 valve V8 Mustangs from the past had about the right level of street performance. 14.0 quarters at about 100 MPH. The current 5.0 in Mustang is way beyond that, and beyond what I'm interested in. This 2.3 Performance Eco Boost is at least as strong as those 4.6 V8 cars, probably stronger, a good bit lighter in front, and gets far better fuel economy. I call that progress….even if sound of engine is something you have to get accustomed to. And....if build is right.....no engineering reason it can't last a long time. 

Edited by Ralph Greene

• 4 weeks later...