8+L Godzilla ?

Anyone else think there is a bigger Godzilla, at least on paper ?  Taller deck, longer stroke.  (The bottom end of the block certain could take it with deep skirt, 6 bolt main and forged crankshaft.)

F53 customers would buy it.  The F750 already crosses over to the bottom of Class 8.  If they really want to compete there, they need something bigger.

Not everyone follows the medium/heavy duty market, but in certain geographical regions CNG is making a strong come back !  The price is ridiculously low ($1.50- $1.90 GGE) but of course, you get less power from CNG so a larger engine is required.

Nope, not with that block.  No room to bore, and Brian Wolfe says maximum stroke would be around 4.2" which works out to about 470 cubic inches.  Maybe a taller deck version of the 7.3L block is a possibility but with 115mm bore spacing I think the 7.3L is about as big as it can (reliably) get.  I don't think Ford has any ambitions for larger commercial trucks and 7.3L is plenty big for what they make now.  Watch this:  

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford is watching to see how F600 is received, if F650 gasoline buyers switch then maybe Medium Duty's days are numbered.

That is the easy solution to spending money on 650/750.  Then again if I'm paying a guy to sit in an F-600 all day and I'm giving away almost 4000 lbs in payload, do I want that?  Now U-haul?  Probably most F-650 U-hauls I would bet are hardly ever packed to their 26,000 lb GVW-and I'm guessing that they are 26,000 lb trucks-actually if they are all Lo-Pro's I think the lowest rating there is 24,000 lbs. In any case-"bed bug haulers" and poorly packed at that.

Stay tuned to the Work Truck Show in as few weeks -we  might see some signs of things to come...then again we might be treated to..."all new colors and cup holders."☹️

But if I look at the number of dealers here in the Northeast that have hired commercial truck staff, as well as added new service bays with 13' doors,  they must be betting on something.

15 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

That is the easy solution to spending money on 650/750.  Then again if I'm paying a guy to sit in an F-600 all day and I'm giving away almost 4000 lbs in payload, do I want that?  Now U-haul?  Probably most F-650 U-hauls I would bet are hardly ever packed to their 26,000 lb GVW-and I'm guessing that they are 26,000 lb trucks-actually if they are all Lo-Pro's I think the lowest rating there is 24,000 lbs. In any case-"bed bug haulers" and poorly packed at that.

Stay tuned to the Work Truck Show in as few weeks -we  might see some signs of things to come...then again we might be treated to..."all new colors and cup holders."☹️

But if I look at the number of dealers here in the Northeast that have hired commercial truck staff, as well as added new service bays with 13' doors,  they must be betting on something.

We'll know for sure Bob when the new 7.3 goes in F650, if those buyers stick or more come then the MDs are safe

and F600 is there just for F550 buyers just short of capacity....I don't know maybe I'm lookin at this wrong.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

We'll know for sure Bob when the new 7.3 goes in F650, if those buyers stick or more come then the MDs are safe

and F600 is there just for F550 buyers just short of capacity....I don't know maybe I'm lookin at this wrong.....

JP- I think you are looking at it the right way.  And my fear as I said, it's the easy solution that Hackett and his posse will be looking to cut anything that does not have big volume.  The future?  Ability to generate more sales throughout the product slate ?---(Joe 76-your favorite point)- forget it.

As I see the F-600, this was put together very quickly to offer something to counter GM/International at last years Work Truck Show when they made their return to medium duty.  What is an F-600?  Its a 550 with a different badge and higher rated springs and rubber!  And it will sell. 

But by no means does it come close IMO to the 650 with its true medium truck beam front axle and 26,000lb GVW-still with the same non CDL driver.

Ford is the leader in class 6.  And I think the 7.3 will do  nothing but increase those numbers big time.  We have beat this to death too, but with a savings of $8000 at least over a Power Stroke, it will be a home run for the operator who needs the GVW, and reasonable power, but the truck does not run the mileage for the mpg savings to pay for that upcharge in a reasonable amount of time.  And believe me, a 26,000 lb GVW does not stop a lot of operators from going far beyond that figure.  Case in point- the guy I worked for while in school was a building contractor.  He had two dump trucks-they were a convenience- a Cheby, like 19,000 gvw and an International that I drove-with a plate of 24,000 lbs.  I would CARRY 11-12 ton of asphalt!  These  guys are not going to settle for an F-600. 

Also, keep in mind, Mack has jumped back into class 6 and 7 with a totally new truck that will be built in a leased building in VA.  Obviously the Swedes think class 6 and 7 has a future.  If Ford wants to continue to be the  leader in commercial trucks, I don't see how they can afford to drop 650/750.

Oh and get this -Mack is spending the huge some of $13 million to do this.  Its a component truck-like a Ford- at least Ford makes its own SD cabs- all Mack cabs are outsourced-not like the old days.  If we were reading about Ford, that would be 50 million!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1