Farley looks Toward the Future

On my 2020, many issues were definitely assembly related.  Example, and I have many, but I'm not typing out the grocerie list.

Insulation pads not hooked on and just hanging by one point in cargo area beneath side panels (out of sight).

Paint apparently touched up and dabbed  brutally to cover or hide dust or other flaw, how this gets past QC is amazing.

Loose fasteners on window tract.

Omitted inclusions such as two hook and sound deadening panels.

I could go on.

It's not design, it's someone failing their duty at assy point and going through unchecked.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, Stampede.Offroad said:

Isn't 'going fast' a big part of what caused problems with the Explorer launch?

As much as I want to see the Bronco yesterday, we don't need more of that.

Damn, It hasn't really occurred to me until you said that, but you're right; All this time since (2016?)  has been spent planning, developing, and testing the Bronco... so we might be in for something not only special, but hopefully thoroughly tested. Should have still announced it later, and started development in secret, but now I'm kind of glad Ford has taken their time to do this right.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Yes and no (IMO).  I have no doubt that poor/marginal workers are protected by the Union. 

I don't understand why Unions do this? I get protecting your friends or family, but at a certain point when you're working with somebody and you have to pick up or put up with their slack... it makes work miserable.

Surely you would want coworkers who are hard workers, take responsibility and initiative, and do a good job?  Surely you know someone in need of work who want a good job, so fire the bums and replace them with someone worthy.  It just boggles my mind why a Union would protect losers and slackers.

Is it not the union's job to protect their members?  Forcing them to work with bad employees makes work suck for everyone! It hurts the company, and nobody (except the bum) wins.

Edited by probowler

I don’t understand it either but that’s how it normally works.  My wife and several co workers had union jobs before moving to management.  My buddy used to run a printer back in the day that took 10 minutes to warm up.  He would go by at 7:20, flip the switch, go get coffee and start printing at 7:30.  His coworkers filed a grievance because he was working outside scheduled hours.  

Their motto is all my people do good work all the time.  My wife did twice as much work as anyone else in her job but it didn’t matter.  When it came time for promotions or changing jobs she got no credit because it was based on seniority.  It absolutely sucks and is why I hate most unions.

One union that doesn’t do that is the police union.  They don’t usually put up with bad employees because their lives are at stake.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, probowler said:

... Surely you would want coworkers who are hard workers, take responsibility and initiative, and do a good job?  Surely you know someone in need of work who want a good job, so fire the bums and replace them with someone worthy.  It just boggles my mind why a Union would protect losers and slackers.

Is it not the union's job to protect their members?  Forcing them to work with bad employees makes work suck for everyone! It hurts the company, and nobody (except the bum) wins.

Many organizations are like this, political parties come to mind.  It is more about keeping a known quantity who is loyal to the group, and maintaining the groups power, than taking a risk on an unknown quantity who might actually be more competent.  The incompetent person could actually be more valuable to the group, as they are likely to be more loyal to the group because they know they need group support in order to keep their job.