Chicago Autoshow

Chicago is still the largest Autoshow, but Ford never seems to take it seriously. I swear their layout/booth is unchanged for five years. GT goes here; change color (Liquid Carbon is beautiful though). Put concept vehicle here. Hey, here’s an animatronic robot - isn’t that cool? Same one as last year, the year before that, the year before that...

That said, the Mach-E is gorgeous!  The one on display is  white, which is what I have reserved. It was so good to see it in person - and they even let you get up close and get a picture with it!

Lincoln on the other hand has a new booth. It’s very luxurious / stylish. The Corsair is the best looking Lincoln. The front end is a million times better than the Aviator, and the whole vehicle is just better resolved than anything else from Lincoln. 

For the competition the wait for the Jeep experience was 45-60 minutes and people happily waited. The course is even longer this year. We rode in a Gladiator and it was nice. The RAM experience was just ok, rode in a 3500 dually, they jammed me in the back seat with two other big guys, and the truck wasn’t nearly as nice as the 1500 I was in last year. The Corvette is amazing. I thought it was meh in photos, but it’s beautiful in real life. Incredible they can build it for that price while the rest of their vehicles are awful. (Though Tahoe / Suburban also look better in real life provided you’re not looking at the z71). On paper I prefer the Palisade to the Telluride but in real life there’s no comparison- the KIA interior is night and day better.

It would be nice if Ford out Jeeps Jeep next year with the Bronco, but I doubt it. (Booth that is, not vehicle)

For all manufacturers I do wish they’d let you sit in concepts - at least Ones that are near production. I’d have given anything to sit in the Mach, but get it. The Tahoe though? Had the same issue with Explorer and Ranger past few years. If I will be able to sit in it within months at a dealer I should be able to sit in it at the Autoshow. 

Edited by sullynd

Eh, not a fan of that ranger. The black appearance package is better, but if ford wanted to make a level2 black appearance package with this wheel, tire, and shock combo, I’d be all over it. 

As for the Mach E, the TFL guys posted a video of people waiting in line to ride in it in some giant warehouse. Maybe that was for journalists only?

Mach E is good looking. Not seeing much for the lower end of the market. Really, all the big 3 US brands it was evident. Mach E is the only electrified option I saw in the Ford offerings. Explorer and Trucks are nice, perhaps the only thing that earns money for Ford. If the "greens" take over, or a recession hits, how does Ford make money?  Management needs to have an answer to raise the $8 stock. 

43 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Mach E is good looking. Not seeing much for the lower end of the market. Really, all the big 3 US brands it was evident. Mach E is the only electrified option I saw in the Ford offerings. Explorer and Trucks are nice, perhaps the only thing that earns money for Ford. If the "greens" take over, or a recession hits, how does Ford make money?  Management needs to have an answer to raise the $8 stock. 

To be fair, Fusion, MkZ, Escape, Corsair, Explorer and Aviator hybrids and PHEVs are also electrified and very profitable (moreso the utilities).  Mach E will be profitable.

F150 and the other BEV utilities on the way will also be profitable because they can take advantage of the $7500 tax credit and because they're trucks and utilities.

BEVs are 200K market in the US right now out of 16M total vehicles.   They are not going to "take over" within the next 3-5 years by any means, especially not in the large truck and utility and commercial segment where Ford is so strong.