Black Fluid leak

richard2x2

I have black fluid leaking from the center of the car. Presumably under the transmission. I used a flash light an looked down on top of the tranny area and see a pool of fluid on top of the tranny. Are there common problems or recalls out there with this problem? Any ideas on potential diagnosis? 

The only place gear oil is used is in the PTU and the rear axle. If it is towards the front, the PTU is generally nearing death.

There are several places it could be leaking transmission fluid, and LV will discolor dark and lose its redness fairly soon, so be sure it isn't transmission fluid.. The most common 6F50/55 leak points are the port plugs loosening up and leaking over time, the linkshaft seal, and the case half joint. 

• Like 1

So hoping it is leaking port plugs i am assuming you would have r and r ptu? If so what kind of labor is involved in that and where are the port plugs located? Do you know where i might find a drawing of it? Because it is pooling on top, it makes why wonder if there is a plug there. 

50 minutes ago, richard2x2 said:

So hoping it is leaking port plugs i am assuming you would have r and r ptu? If so what kind of labor is involved in that and where are the port plugs located? Do you know where i might find a drawing of it? Because it is pooling on top, it makes why wonder if there is a plug there. 

Pooling on top of the transmission or the PTU? I'm a bit confused. If it is pooling on top of the PTU and it is gear oil, the PTU is done. 

What year and which engine does it have? I guess I just assumed it was a 3.5? 

Edited by YT90SC

The PTU's had a history of burping the gear oil out of the vents, once it turned to sludge.  My mechanic tapped a drain into my MKX's PTU.  I've since drained and filled a few times since owning it to try and flush as much of the old fluid out, and keep it fresh.  Ford put in a fluid for life setup.  "Life" is pretty much the length of the warranty.  I'd get it in and checked out, and get it drained/filled if it's not too late.

Most of the 6F55 transmission's port plugs are in the case end cover (driver's side) and on the bottom. The lowest one in the case is the sump drain, the one slightly higher, still in the case, is the line pressure port. If I remember right, there is one more located near the rear cooler line. The end cover has several. Four, I think but don't hold me to that. But most of those will not pool on top of the trans. I've seen the cooler lines leak where they go into the case as well, but it is much rarer and usually because someone was messing with them.