The Jeep Gladiator Is Struggling

silvrsvt

https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-gladiator-is-struggling-1841569645

“At first when we talked about the launch and everything else, they weren’t coming in this place saying we’re going to attack Ranger,” [Jeffrey Burnett, general manager of Millsboro Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram in Delaware] said. “They came to this place saying we’re going to have a vehicle unlike anybody else. Now I think they’re going into, ‘You know what? We can attack Ranger; we can attack [the Nissan] Frontier.’ “

Burnett said his store is selling 15 to 25 Gladiators a month, which isn’t far off from its numbers for the Wrangler and light-duty Ram. Nationally, Gladiator sales peaked at more than 6,000 in October before falling back slightly in November and December, according to estimates from the Automotive News Data Center, while sales of the Wrangler and Ranger increased as the fourth quarter went on

50 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

There's two major issues with the Gladiator that make it uncompetitive against other pickups. The 3.6 V6 isn't adequate for most truck duties like towing and it's way too expensive. If they were to offer a TTV6 or the HEMI as an option, it would do better.

Actually think turbo inline six. The 2.0L four that's in the Wrangler plus two cylinders.Probably about 1.5-2 years out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

REBATES not dealer discount.  Both 2019s and 2020s have $3250 in factory rebates.   The rest is dealer discount.  There are no $9K rebates.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, Harley Lover said:

Pricing doesnt include destination fee and the high doc fee which equals close to an extra $2,000 in fees.  Koons remove the dest fee from proce to make it look like a bigger discount and adds it back into the low price after.

And unless a very high demand vehicle, they sell all their vehicles at invoice - full holdback.  This is a dealer thing, not manufacturer.

Edited by blwnsmoke

7 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Pricing doesnt include destination fee and the high doc fee which equals close to an extra $2,000 in fees.  Koons remove the dest fee from proce to make it look like a bigger discount and adds it back into the low price after.

Not true, dealers can no longer advertise prices that exclude the destination fee (per icecapades and memo to dealers).  See the fine print on Koons site:

All prices exclude freight, except Toyota, Ford, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz. All prices exclude tax, tags, and processing fee of $799 in Virginia, $300 in Maryland, and $599 in Delaware.

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Not true, dealers can no longer advertise prices that exclude the destination fee (per icecapades and memo to dealers).  See the fine print on Koons site:

All prices exclude freight, except Toyota, Ford, Lexus and Mercedes-Benz. All prices exclude tax, tags, and processing fee of $799 in Virginia, $300 in Maryland, and $599 in Delaware.

Then this just changed because Koons was doing it as little as 6 months ago when I was researching prices and talking to their Sales Manager.

56 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Then this just changed because Koons was doing it as little as 6 months ago when I was researching prices and talking to their Sales Manager.

Yes, this was a recent change that really benefits the consumer as the standard prevents shady business practices contained in dealer advertisements   

Edited by 02MustangGT

On 2/12/2020 at 10:57 AM, akirby said:

REBATES not dealer discount.  Both 2019s and 2020s have $3250 in factory rebates.   The rest is dealer discount.  There are no $9K rebates.

Bonus Cash

Alternative Retail Customer Cash

Start Date: 2/4/2020
End Date: 3/31/2020
Group Affiliation: None
Amount: $9,000.00
Qualifying residents of the United States.
Rule of '10' and Standard Rules of Eligibility applies.
See Dealer for details

MSRP
$79,070
Sanderson Discount
- $4,500
Sanderson Price
$74,570
Total Incentives
- $9,000

Final Price
$65,570

Edited by MKX1960

22 hours ago, MKX1960 said:
Bonus Cash

Alternative Retail Customer Cash

Start Date: 2/4/2020
End Date: 3/31/2020
Group Affiliation: None
Amount: $9,000.00
Qualifying residents of the United States.
Rule of '10' and Standard Rules of Eligibility applies.
See Dealer for details

MSRP
$79,070
Sanderson Discount
- $4,500
Sanderson Price
$74,570
Total Incentives
- $9,000

Final Price
$65,570

That must be dealer cash for leftover 2019s as I stated originally.  2020s are still $3250.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:59 AM, 02MustangGT said:

What is a processing fee??  If not tax and tags? 

To kick them a bit more

Gladiators are novelty-conversation pieces, for Jeep fan boys. The rich guys got all the marked up ones early to show off  [example "Hoovie" on You Tube] . The small bed is used for gym bags, Amazon packages, and bicycles [maybe?]. True pick-up customers just kick its tires, get a full sized truck.

Where are all the buyers now? Wasn't this supposed to be a "game-changer"?  ROFLOL

I think the Bronco is a better idea,

Edited by 630land

Wow.  In Trucklahoma, I've seen quite a few of these, but I had NO FREAKING IDEA they were so expensive.  I'm in the market for a Lariat Ranger and all the reviews I've read have complained about the cost/value metric.  Funny, I didn't realize pushing all the options buttons on the Gladiator ran it over $10k more than a Ranger with every single options button checked.  Wow.  Those suckers are not only ugly, but phenomenally expensive.