Ford says its performance cars need to be about more than 0-60 times

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-icon-performance-cars-interview/

"A lot of countries are changing regulations so quickly, and so much, they're almost forcing the performance products out," Pericak told Roadshow at the Chicago Auto Show last week, which hosted the 2020 Ford GT's debut. This, of course, is a direct threat to the vehicles Pericak adores, but as he explained, Ford is hard at work to minimize the threat to fun.

"Our job is going to be two-fold," he said. "One is to figure out how to continue to make performance that will exist in some of these regulated countries, even our own, and how do you do it so it's a global offering?" Ford doesn't want to be in the business of building specific cars to meet various degrees of regulations around the world.

So, no, don't expect a big V8 solely for America, and an electrified turbo-four for Europe in the same car. Pericak pointed to the Mustang's future as a perfect example of these exact discussions going on right now.

"What we would never do is compromise," he declared. "If it's a Mustang, it'll be a Mustang. Whatever is offered will be a Mustang and live up to the Mustang expectation."

This Ford executive is announcing the death of the V8! At least, the death of the V8 for the Mustang...  and those are  shocking news. Maybe in terms of power doesnt mean too much, because Ford can get enough power from its V6 , I4 and hybrids engines, and the GT, the Navigator and the Aviator are the demostration that you dont need 8 cylinders to get power...   but is a shocking moment when you realize that the ICE engines are starting to die.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

This Ford executive is announcing the death of the V8! At least, the death of the V8 for the Mustang...  and those are  shocking news. Maybe in terms of power doesnt mean too much, because Ford can get enough power from its V6 , I4 and hybrids engines, and the GT, the Navigator and the Aviator are the demostration that you dont need 8 cylinders to get power...   but is a shocking moment when you realize that the ICE engines are starting to die.

I didn't read that in the article.

37 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

I didn't read that in the article.

You didnt read the article:  "So, no, don't expect a big V8 solely for America, and an electrified turbo-four for Europe in the same car. Pericak pointed to the Mustang's future as a perfect example of these exact discussions going on right now."

"What we would never do is compromise," he declared. "If it's a Mustang, it'll be a Mustang. Whatever is offered will be a Mustang and live up to the Mustang expectation."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

You didnt read the article:  "So, no, don't expect a big V8 solely for America, and an electrified turbo-four for Europe in the same car. Pericak pointed to the Mustang's future as a perfect example of these exact discussions going on right now."

The thing is that currently the Mustang has a Ecoboost I4 and V8. You can buy a V8 in EU, but you'll get bent over tax wise with it.

Your conflating the information-if the GT would only have one power plant, not two for two different regions-and I'd think most Mustangs sold overseas are Ecoboost ones. 

35 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

I read the article.  So, no don't expect a big V8 solely for America. Was he referring to the 7.3L They sell V8's in all markets along with the turbo 4. I don't see that changing. They dropped the V6, I can't see them dropping the V8.

17 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

5.0 V8 hybrid Mustang arrives later this year, Ford will continue offering the V8 for as long as it can

and after that, it will probably become seriously good electric vehicle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MKII said:

??????????

So I'm guessing your reaction is to the Mach E?

So outside of having 4 doors and being electric-why isn't a Mustang? No one has actually driven one to give their option of how it handles/accelerates.

I've been both a Telsa Model S and a BMW i3-both on either end of the scale for performance and I was even impressed with the i3 acceleration for what it was worth.  

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So I'm guessing your reaction is to the Mach E?

So outside of having 4 doors and being electric-why isn't a Mustang? No one has actually driven one to give their option of how it handles/accelerates.

I've been both a Telsa Model S and a BMW i3-both on either end of the scale for performance and I was even impressed with the i3 acceleration for what it was worth.  

Just because they put the Mustang badge on it doesn't mean it's "really" a Mustang. It's an electric CUV with a Mustang name period.

What's next a pickup truck with a Mustang badge?

Edited by coupe3w

3 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Just because they put the Mustang badge on it doesn't mean it's "really" a Mustang.

You're right.  What makes it a Mustang is the performance.  It's faster than a Mustang GT and probably handles as good if not better.  Just because you don't like the body style doesn't mean it can't be a Mustang in spirit.   Bronco and Ranger and F series and Wrangler used to mean only 2 doors.  Now they all sell (or will sell) more 4 doors than anything else yet they still have the same name.  This is no different.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

You're right.  What makes it a Mustang is the performance.  It's faster than a Mustang GT and probably handles as good if not better.  Just because you don't like the body style doesn't mean it can't be a Mustang in spirit.   Bronco and Ranger and F series and Wrangler used to mean only 2 doors.  Now they all sell (or will sell) more 4 doors than anything else yet they still have the same name.  This is no different.

I disagree, and I think the pu comment as silly as it is, is completely valid. 

I bet Ford could build a low riding pickup that out classes a lower tier mustang. Ford could also slap a pony badge on it and write mustang on the tailgate... But it's not a Mustang. The Mustang has always been a pony Car, not a "pony...crossover". It's a completely different vehicle class! 

I think you do make a good point about power and performance, but you completely ignore the body and the physical design, which IMO is half the soul of a vehicle. You can't just focus on the performance aspect while ignoring the classic form that is the Ford Mustang. 

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

Mustang is evolving from a single vehicle to a sub brand.

if you don’t like it then go buy something else but bitching about it endlessly isn’t going to change it.  It’s a silly argument since the traditional mustang coupe is virtually unchanged and mospeople will simply call this Mach-e.

• Like 2

Let's face it.  The traditional 2 door coupe market is drying up.  Things need to change if Ford is going to make a profit on vehicles.

As much as people hated the Mustang II, Ford had to change to make it more fuel efficient back then.  Today's market is withering.  Ford has decided to keep the Mustang name alive ala an EV car.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Glad I grew up in the good old days. When you could get what you wanted. Today you get what they give you and you better like it. All in the name of greed.

Yeah, because, you know, automakers can continue producing cars while not making a profit on them (Tesla doesn't count).  It's greed to want to actually make money on what you sell. ?

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 6:53 AM, falconlover 1 said:

I read that as there will be a V8 in countries OTHER than America...

5 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Yeah, because, you know, automakers can continue producing cars while not making a profit on them (Tesla doesn't count).  It's greed to want to actually make money on what you sell. ?

I think there is a difference between profits and greed. Nothing wrong with profits to grow the company for sure and improve products. I'm all for it.?

22 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Glad I grew up in the good old days. When you could get what you wanted. Today you get what they give you and you better like it. All in the name of greed.

Back then what you wanted was what everyone else wanted.

Today what you want isn’t what most people want.

In the 70s and 80s almost everyone bought regular cab pickups and 4 doors were restricted to a few work trucks.

Today everybody wants 4 doors and it’s rare to see a regular cab.

Times change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Back then what you wanted was what everyone else wanted.

Today what you want isn’t what most people want.

In the 70s and 80s almost everyone bought regular cab pickups and 4 doors were restricted to a few work trucks.

Today everybody wants 4 doors and it’s rare to see a regular cab.

Times change.

I hear ya. I own a 2017 Focus ST. If they made a 2 door version I would have gotten that. See back in the old days you got to choose what you wanted. 2 dr, 4 dr, station wagon, what ever you wanted. Plus you could choose your options. Today is pretty much a 4 dr and options are bundled. I guess I am old school. Funny the manufactures were still profitable back then too. So what changed?