Ford says its performance cars need to be about more than 0-60 times

9 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

See back in the old days you got to choose what you wanted. 2 dr, 4 dr, station wagon, what ever you wanted. Plus you could choose your options. Today is pretty much a 4 dr and options are bundled. I guess I am old school. Funny the manufactures were still profitable back then too. So what changed?

Coupe,

Just to put your position into perspective, throw out a year that defines your "good old days".  I need to wrap my head around what decade/era you're remembering.

Thanks, HRG

3 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Coupe,

Just to put your position into perspective, throw out a year that defines your "good old days".  I need to wrap my head around what decade/era you're remembering.

Thanks, HRG

Okay since I own a '67 Mustang fastback I'll go with that year.

3 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Coupe,

Thanks, HRG

You know, when you could still get polio, certain people "knew their place". Hamburgers were a dime each. Funny how those rose-colored glasses work.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

I hear ya. I own a 2017 Focus ST. If they made a 2 door version I would have gotten that. See back in the old days you got to choose what you wanted. 2 dr, 4 dr, station wagon, what ever you wanted. Plus you could choose your options. Today is pretty much a 4 dr and options are bundled. I guess I am old school. Funny the manufactures were still profitable back then too. So what changed?

Really?  You have to ask what changed?  I'll name a few:

• Safety
    • Seat Belts
    • Air Bags
    • ABS
    • Cameras
    • Stability Control
    • etc, etc, etc...
  • Emissions standards
  • Fuel Economy - cars are a LOT more fuel efficient than 'back then'
  • Reliability - cars last over twice as long (or longer) as they did 'back then'
  • Recalls - cars are expected to last longer, and if it doesn't last 100k miles, it's recalled for something
  • Today's Litigious society - has to be damn-neart perfect, otherwise the manufacturer is at fault

So, yeah, a LOT has changed.

2 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Really?  You have to ask what changed?  I'll name a few:

• Safety
    • Seat Belts
    • Air Bags
    • ABS
    • Cameras
    • Stability Control
    • etc, etc, etc...
  • Emissions standards
  • Fuel Economy - cars are a LOT more fuel efficient than 'back then'
  • Reliability - cars last over twice as long (or longer) as they did 'back then'
  • Recalls - cars are expected to last longer, and if it doesn't last 100k miles, it's recalled for something
  • Today's Litigious society - has to be damn-neart perfect, otherwise the manufacturer is at fault

So, yeah, a LOT has changed.

Not to mention the biggest change - Detroit market share.  Back then it was darn near 100%.  Damn competition.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

I hear ya. I own a 2017 Focus ST. If they made a 2 door version I would have gotten that. See back in the old days you got to choose what you wanted. 2 dr, 4 dr, station wagon, what ever you wanted. Plus you could choose your options. Today is pretty much a 4 dr and options are bundled. I guess I am old school. Funny the manufactures were still profitable back then too. So what changed?

Market fragmentation.  Competition.  Buyer preferences.  Culture.  All factors that contribute.  But market fragmentation/competitors are perhasp the biggest ones - when you control the market, you can make money on anything because those are the only options for everyone.  And let's not pretend they didn't drop cars that didn't sell back then too.

Here's the future: NASCAR is already experiencing a huge drop in attendance and fan base.  Millenials don't want to DRIVE cars, let alone watch them race!  But for those who will still be watching, you'll be seeing quiet electric cars fitted with smoke ejectors installed in the rear wheel housings as well as loud speakers blaring out the sounds of squealing tires and engine exhaust! 

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think it's more accurate to say people don't want to watch SPEC cars that are all basically the same run around oval tracks.   Actual production based road racing is far more exciting and interesting.

You get to Road Atlanta much?  Although it's been many years, my trip to the Rolex 24, falling asleep and waking up to the roar, still seems like it happened yesterday,,,,

HRG

12 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

You get to Road Atlanta much?  Although it's been many years, my trip to the Rolex 24, falling asleep and waking up to the roar, still seems like it happened yesterday,,,,

HRG

Never been but I keep saying I’ll go one year.

I have been to Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville several times driving exotics with xtremexperience.

5 hours ago, Deanh said:

its widely acknowledged one of the most enjoyable cars to drive in Fords entire lineup is the Fiesta ST....not exactly a 0-60 rocket...and Front wheel drive to boot....

110% agree...light with enuff weight to hold it....best described as a legal go-cart and this includes the base models...had manual availability and returned excellent mpg...the mazda 3 does not hold the curves as well as our base fiesta did....true to form...they canned cars....no suv will ever compete...

5 hours ago, Deanh said:

its widely acknowledged one of the most enjoyable cars to drive in Fords entire lineup is the Fiesta ST....not exactly a 0-60 rocket...and Front wheel drive to boot....

I went from years of Mustangs to my Fiesta ST.  It's an absolute blast to drive.  It gets fantastic gas mileage, it's 'different', well balanced and has just enough power to have fun, but not too much to get you in trouble.  After driving friends' new 5.0 Mustangs, I'm not that excited about going back.  They're plenty powerful, but lack the fun factor of my Fiesta.

I was pretty disappointed we don't get the updated Fiesta and Focus.  Also, slapping ST on a bloated SUV like an Explorer was not what ST originally stood for.  Kind of reminds me when Chevy used to put SS on everything in their lineup.  

8 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

But for those who will still be watching, you'll be seeing quiet electric cars fitted with smoke ejectors installed in the rear wheel housings as well as loud speakers blaring out the sounds of squealing tires and engine exhaust! 

Don't need the smoke ejectors and loudspeakers. Just good racing and good marketing. For example, FIA has been very successful with the all-electric car Formula E series. Its fan base is growing rapidly and is particularly popular among young adults under age 35. https://thedriven.io/2019/09/13/formula-e-attracts-young-audience-as-revenue-and-popularity-grow/

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Don't need the smoke ejectors and loudspeakers. Just good racing and good marketing. For example, FIA has been very successful with the all-electric car Formula E series. Its fan base is growing rapidly and is particularly popular among young adults under age 35. https://thedriven.io/2019/09/13/formula-e-attracts-young-audience-as-revenue-and-popularity-grow/

You forgot the gratuitous hat tip to Tesla and your God, Elon...

8 hours ago, rperez817 said:

For example, FIA has been very successful with the all-electric car Formula E series. Its fan base is growing rapidly and is particularly popular among young adults under age 35.

And the next generation will just be watching YouTube videos of other 'gamers' racing online cars.

• Haha 2