Considering buying some Ford Stock

2 hours ago, mustang84isu said:

Ford hit $20/share today, first time it has been above $20 since August of 2001--20 years ago.

Wonder how much of today's increase comes from Rivian going public and probably $60 billion market cap. Ford has a 12% stake in Rivian that could be worth about $6 billion. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Wonder how much of today's increase comes from Rivian going public and probably $60 billion market cap. Ford has a 12% stake in Rivian that could be worth about $6 billion. 

Interesting that the new battery plant in Kentucky will cost 5.8 billion dollars to build.  Wonder if Ford would consider selling their share of Rivian to pay for it.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:35 PM, FordBuyer said:

After Rivian's big IPO run-up today, Ford's share is now estimated to be worth $10.3 billion, from an intial investment that started just two years ago of only $820 million. There's a separate thread on this, but for more information see: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/10/fords-stake-in-ev-truck-start-up-rivian-is-worth-more-than-10-billion-in-first-day-of-trading.html

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, mackinaw said:

Interesting that the new battery plant in Kentucky will cost 5.8 billion dollars to build.  Wonder if Ford would consider selling their share of Rivian to pay for it.

If Ford is bullish on Rivian as it seems to be, maybe better to wait for more stock price appreciation and double that $10 billion if lucky enough. Only thing that bothers me is the up to now slow Rivian launch speed. For example, It took Tesla a long time to get their launch speed up. Ditto for Lucid. Add in supply chain problems, and it will be messy. 

• 1 year later...
14 hours ago, galelauk said:

Company stock is a good investment. Because shares of large companies never get cheaper and on the contrary, the returns are low, but it is a reliable way to earn.

Huh? I own a good chunk of Ford stock bought in three batches from when it was running in the $7-$9 range three years ago. So with the stock currently priced at around $13, I'm sitting on some nice (unrealized) capital gains. Of course, my (unrealized) gains were even greater a year ago when the stock was priced over $20. As longer-term F holders here can confirm, yes large company stocks can get very cheap indeed, such as when F dropped below $4.50 a few years ago. I remain medium-term bullish on the stock and also look at it as a steady dividend earner of over 4.5%, which are very nice returns indeed. 

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1