Things that don't work in our Aviator

Just got a new Aviator and I have mixed emotions.  The Auto stop is a pain in the neck.  Manual says if I take my foot off the brake, the engine will start.  Not so for us.

Manual shows warning (Keep hand on wheel) showing on HUD.  Not so for us.

When we accelerate from a stop it sounds like a a crotch rocket going through the gears.  Very noisy.

Also, we hear a periodic ding when we are driving with no associated warning.

Also, a "clunk" when the car is just sitting and hadn't been driven in awhile.

Anyone else having these issues?

7 hours ago, delpi767 said:

Just got a new Aviator and I have mixed emotions.  The Auto stop is a pain in the neck.  Manual says if I take my foot off the brake, the engine will start.  Not so for us.

Manual shows warning (Keep hand on wheel) showing on HUD.  Not so for us.

When we accelerate from a stop it sounds like a a crotch rocket going through the gears.  Very noisy.

Also, we hear a periodic ding when we are driving with no associated warning.

Also, a "clunk" when the car is just sitting and hadn't been driven in awhile.

Anyone else having these issues?

So when you take your foot off the brake, your car is just dead?  You have to restart by pushiing the start button?

The clunking noises after sitting is normal.

It only gives you that warning when your cruise is on with lane Departure set and adaptive cruise AND you keep your hands off the wheel for approximately 5+ seconds.  You shouldn't have your hands off the wheel therefore shouldn't get the message.

A crotch rocket?  After that comment, I simply cant take your post seriously anymore.  The aviator does not sound like a motorcycle.

And the ding, no clue.

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

You get a ding when the camera can't make out the street lines well enough and it can't lane keep properly. The display shows the steering wheel icon go from green to yellow and then back again when it sees a good enough line to start lane keeping again. Probably a total liability thing for those who think they can have tea and crumpets while driving down the road.

I've heard rumor too, that you hear a ding every time an angel gets his wings.... ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

You get a ding when the camera can't make out the street lines well enough and it can't lane keep properly. The display shows the steering wheel icon go from green to yellow and then back again when it sees a good enough line to start lane keeping again. Probably a total liability thing for those who think they can have tea and crumpets while driving down the road.

I've heard rumor too, that you hear a ding every time an angel gets his wings.... ?

Not sure what Aviator you are driving but no. No ding as you say and the orange/red steering wheel icon is for ACC in the HUD when it senses your hand is off the wheel. The lane keep lines just go grey.

As for power train noise, yes I’d agree it’s growlier (not a word but you get the point) than most would expect in this class but it’s normal. IMHO it’s kind of a Lincoln trait. My ‘13 MKX 3.7, both ‘16 MKX 2.7Ts I’ve had as well as my current Aviator and MKS turbos. My better half calls the MKS the ‘angry coffeemaker’ in the way it sounds. 

LOTS of strange noises when it’s off. Nearly gave me a heart attack when I was walking by it taking out the recycling after it had been sitting for a while. Buzzing and clicking, etc. all normal. 

I wonder if your random ding is due to you inadvertently hitting your knee on the door latch button. Is that possible?

Post above is correct regarding the auto start stop. You likely have Auto Hold turned on in the main menu.  When activated you have to hit the gas for it to turn back on. I like it!  Also correct above re the ‘hand on wheel message’. It isn’t supposed to come on during regular driving - just when using radar cruise. 

hope this helps. 

Edited by Professor1234

9 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

I've noticed a ding in some of the Aviator and Explorer videos for what seems to be no apparent reason. My Edge ST and the Raptor I previously had both made a clunking sound when I was close to them. It comes from somewhere to the rear of the vehicle. made no difference if I had the fob or not.

Edited by MKX1960

13 hours ago, Professor1234 said:

Not sure what Aviator you are driving but no. No ding as you say and the orange/red steering wheel icon is for ACC in the HUD when it senses your hand is off the wheel. The lane keep lines just go grey.

Oops!!! Was thinking Nautilus... that's how it works in our Nautilus. The second it doesn't see the lane in ACC it dings and goes from green to yellow and back to green when it sees the line again. I guess they don't work the same. But it does ding (I think) if you take your hand off the wheel for a time, I know you get the display message anyway...

22 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

I've noticed a ding in some of the Aviator and Explorer videos for what seems to be no apparent reason. My Edge ST and the Raptor I previously had both made a clunking sound when I was close to them. It comes from somewhere to the rear of the vehicle. made no difference if I had the fob or not.

Way more noise on the Aviator than any vehicle I’ve ever owned when off or when you open the drivers door after it’s been sitting. Clicking, buzzing, whirring, etc.  It’s normal.

On 2/21/2020 at 9:41 AM, Deafsoundguy said:

Oops!!! Was thinking Nautilus... that's how it works in our Nautilus. The second it doesn't see the lane in ACC it dings and goes from green to yellow and back to green when it sees the line again. I guess they don't work the same. But it does ding (I think) if you take your hand off the wheel for a time, I know you get the display message anyway...

Correction with apology.  I took mine out for a drive today and it does in fact ding when it unilaterally cancels lane centring thinking you have taken your hands off the wheel for too long. 

And it may be that mine is defective somehow but I find the lane centring wants to keep the vehicle too close to the centreline of the roadway for my liking. I.e. not quite the centre of the lane.  No issues with lane keep assist, however. 

Mine is rarely driven (nearly two months old and less than 500 miles, 50 of which were put on at the factory/pdi) but I’m quite pleased with it. There is an annoying rattle in the passenger seat head rest area which rings like a loose washer on a bolt (if anyone knows a source of an exploded view of the 30-ways please advise) but aside from that it’s great. Well, unless you factor in that it forgot my radio presets after the last time I drove it for some reason. 

With the dust and grit of a snow belt winter the fake exhaust outlets are very noticeable and kind of cheesy, although not in an Audi sort of way. 

On 2/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, Professor1234 said:

Way more noise on the Aviator than any vehicle I’ve ever owned when off or when you open the drivers door after it’s been sitting. Clicking, buzzing, whirring, etc.  It’s normal.

This stuff must be something fairly new. When I had my 18 Raptor, it made a series of 3 whirring,clicking sounds when opening the drivers door. My current Edge ST makes 1 metallic clank sound when opening the door or even being near the car, Doesn't matter if I have the key fob with me or not.

I have a GT and it goes into all electric at stops and sometimes just cruising.  Very odd watching the tach go to zero and still hustle down the road.  So glad I held out to get a GT, it does have many relays clicking and every time I pass by, it thinks it is the chosen chariot. (PAAK)  I'm putting miles on to get it broke in and any anomalies worked out.  When I start driving my beater again, I will have to disable PAAK.  I find if you set the stereo on 8, you can't hear anything but great music.  ?

6 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I have a GT and it goes into all electric at stops and sometimes just cruising.  Very odd watching the tach go to zero and still hustle down the road.  So glad I held out to get a GT, it does have many relays clicking and every time I pass by, it thinks it is the chosen chariot. (PAAK)  I'm putting miles on to get it broke in and any anomalies worked out.  When I start driving my beater again, I will have to disable PAAK.  I find if you set the stereo on 8, you can't hear anything but great music.  ?

Glad to hear you’re happy with the GT. I just have the gas version, but am looking forward to whatever improvements they might make to the GT before my 2 years is up. 

• Like 1