Uncovered: 2021 F-150 Front and Rear Design! Now with more Hybrid

1 hour ago, probowler said:

I can't possibly imagine this tech being ready for prime time within the next generation or the generation after that..  If true, that's wack yo.

Seriously, lets do the math.... 10 years? No way.... Even 20 honestly seems hard to believe.

Didn't Ford move the horn to the turn signal stalk in preparation for air bags?

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That makes more sense than saving space. I was looking at the console in my car before I left work this morning and compared it to the 2015 fusion parked next to me. The dial/parking brake assembly takes up just as much space as the old shift lever. 

Yes but the rotary doesn’t take up vertical space like the shifter.  I happen to like the rotary knob in my Fusion and other vehicles.  

34 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Yes but the rotary doesn’t take up vertical space like the shifter.  I happen to like the rotary knob in my Fusion and other vehicles.  

I like using the shifter to rest my hand on. It's more comfortable to me, especially since I have some nerve issues in my right shoulder. A water bottle kinda works as a substitute but it's not quite the same. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I bet some people’s head will explode when they find out the ignition key doesn’t engage the starter anymore.  It all runs through the computer and the computer controls the starter and the throttle.

In the F-150, it hasn't been connected to the starter in about a decade. Since they switched powertrains from the 4.6/5.4 to the Coyote and EcoBoost for the 2011MY, turning the key to the start position just sends a signal to the computer to tell it to start the engine.

1 hour ago, T hawker said:

Yep. In the Tempo. Fleet Tempos got airbags first and they put horn on end of turn signal stalk. It was very awkward. I only saw one in the dealership. But by the time airbags hit main stream in the 89 continental they moved to the thumb buttons on steering wheel. 

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Their whole reasoning publicly was saving space on the center console, then I look at all of that precious saved space and see they didn't really do much, if anything with it. Makes me wonder what the point is. 

Bingo. I have it on my work Expedition and I really don’t see the benefit. As far as I’m concerned just go back to the column shifter and free the entire space.  Alternatively they could also use the seemingly controversial push buttons mounted somewhere. 

So far, I’m not particularly excited about this truck based on the little bit we have seen.  I hope seeing the final package will change that. There isn’t anything particularly detrimental, but nothing is making me say wow yet.  I feel the Ram interior still has the F150 interior covered with what can be see as well.   

Edited by tbone

2 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

Yep. In the Tempo. Fleet Tempos got airbags first and they put horn on end of turn signal stalk. It was very awkward. I only saw one in the dealership. But by the time airbags hit main stream in the 89 continental they moved to the thumb buttons on steering wheel. 

I seem to remember 79 Mustangs and Fairmonts.  So manufacturers making changes 10 years prior to the actual reason for the change i don't think is unusual.   I think it's standard operating procedure. 

4 hours ago, T hawker said:

20 minutes ago, T hawker said:

I seem to remember 79 Mustangs and Fairmonts.  So manufacturers making changes 10 years prior to the actual reason for the change i don't think is unusual.   I think it's standard operating procedure. 

@T hawker correct...my mom had a 1979 Ford Fairmont and the horn was indeed on the turn lever stalk...push in on it to honk the horn. it is the same for my 1983 Mustang GLX convertible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twintornados said:

@T hawker correct...my mom had a 1979 Ford Fairmont and the horn was indeed on the turn lever stalk...push in on it to honk the horn. it is the same for my 1983 Mustang GLX convertible.

That was before my time. I didn’t realize Ford used the turn signal lever as a horn prior to airbag. Not sure why they would do that. It’s totally awkward in a panic situation. Of course I think GMs old cruise control on the turn signal is awkward also. 

That was before my time. I didn’t realize Ford used the turn signal lever as a horn prior to airbag. Not sure why they would do that. It’s totally awkward in a panic situation. Of course I think GMs old cruise control on the turn signal is awkward also. 

Well...I am 56 so theres always that...

image.png.894d63ad6a0f62fcac5d68d49555c89b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

In dealership life when I started, carburetors were rare. Actually anything pre-port injection was old. More I think about it EEC-IV was phasing out. The super star II was only used for air suspension diagnostics. 
WDS (aka wont do shit) was coming in and SBDS was fantastic on old stuff but was on the way out. Hard to believe it’s been 24 years since I was a lube rack kid. 

51 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Well...I am 56 so theres always that...

image.png.894d63ad6a0f62fcac5d68d49555c89b.png

Same here!  My parents had a 79 Mustang coupe, 2.3 with a 4 speed manual.   Grandparents had a 79 Zephyr wagon with the 5.0.  Parents made me use the Mustang for my driving test bc of the manual,  i wanted to use the 73 LTD Country Squire wagon with the 6.6l :) Ah, the good old days.

53 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

In dealership life when I started, carburetors were rare. Actually anything pre-port injection was old. More I think about it EEC-IV was phasing out. The super star II was only used for air suspension diagnostics. 
WDS (aka wont do shit) was coming in and SBDS was fantastic on old stuff but was on the way out. Hard to believe it’s been 24 years since I was a lube rack kid. 

I think most Ford products got rid of carbs in 1984-85 time period...maybe trucks had them, but passenger cars pretty much had EFI or PFI

• Like 1