Uncovered: 2021 F-150 Front and Rear Design! Now with more Hybrid

Is that a shift lever in the console?  I was under the impression that the 2021's would get a rotary dial like the Expedition.   Shifting gears in a truck, for me anyway, either needs to be done with a lever coming from the floor or the steering column.  Rotary dial in a car?  Sure...I'm good with that.  I'm just not a fan of rotary dial gear selectors in trucks. 

So if I don't like a rotary dial shift selector, then why don't I just get one of the current models while I can?  Well, that's just what I did!  When buying a new vehicle, I've always tried to pick what I wanted from the leftovers of the previous model year.  Didn't want to take a chance at the end of 2020 and not getting what I wanted in a trim level and miss out on a truck with a proper gear shift lever.  So I just got a 2019 leftover KR in Stone Grey with the Chrome Package and pretty much every option there is other than rear wheel well liners and the Heavy Duty Payload Package. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I hate the rotary shifters too. One of my least favorite things about Ford vehicles. 

Their whole reasoning publicly was saving space on the center console, then I look at all of that precious saved space and see they didn't really do much, if anything with it. Makes me wonder what the point is. 

6 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Their whole reasoning publicly was saving space on the center console, then I look at all of that precious saved space and see they didn't really do much, if anything with it. Makes me wonder what the point is. 

If they want to save space in the console, then they need to move the damn dial out of the console!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

If they want to save space in the console, then they need to move the damn dial out of the console!

Problem is other than the steering column, where are you going to put it? There's already very little room to spare in the IP because of crash bracing and existing wiring harnesses. Ask any engineer and they'll tell you that fighting for space in the IP is one of the hardest jobs they have. 

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Or was that due to Super Duty changeover last year?

Ford is actually limited on the amount of F Series it can produce but in a good way, it forces them to focus on crew and super cab trucks. 

In terms of Conquest sales I think GM has more to fear from Ram than Ford, don’t you?

Whenever sales are down -its always "the production of product is limited" card that is played on this forum. Every single time......

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Problem is other than the steering column, where are you going to put it? There's already very little room to spare in the IP because of crash bracing and existing wiring harnesses. Ask any engineer and they'll tell you that fighting for space in the IP is one of the hardest jobs they have. 

That's a good question that I don't have the answer to.  

5 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Whenever sales are down -its always "the production of product is limited" card that is played on this forum. Every single time......

Sales were down a mere 13,000 on a Super Duty changeover year, 896k vs 909k is only down because buyers

were prepared to wait for the new 7.3 Super Duty.

If you did even the slightest bit of research, you would realise just how hard Ford is driving it's three F Series  plants.

In three plants, Ford builds F 150, Super Duty, Expedition and Navigator - over a million vehicles produced last year.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Actually there is some video somewhere with an Expedition engineer that said the rotary dial is for autonomous driving systems in the future.

34 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Actually there is some video somewhere with an Expedition engineer that said the rotary dial is for autonomous driving systems in the future.

I can't possibly imagine this tech being ready for prime time within the next generation or the generation after that..  If true, that's wack yo.

Seriously, lets do the math.... 10 years? No way.... Even 20 honestly seems hard to believe.

Edited by probowler

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

I like the push buttons on our Lincoln.  You don’t have to put it in park - just turn off the engine.  There are also some safety features made possible with full electronic control.

I bet some people’s head will explode when they find out the ignition key doesn’t engage the starter anymore.  It all runs through the computer and the computer controls the starter and the throttle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

That makes more sense than saving space. I was looking at the console in my car before I left work this morning and compared it to the 2015 fusion parked next to me. The dial/parking brake assembly takes up just as much space as the old shift lever. 

• Like 1