Went to the auto show and...

I went to the Auto show last night. I couldn't believe it, Lincoln NOR Cadillac was there...so weird. I didn't see anything under 200k that I liked better than our Combo Nautilus/ELR . I don't care about vroom vroom super fast cars. I drive in the city everyday, I would never use the power nor would I enjoy paying the insurance on high-end cars. The biggest disappointment was the Lexus LC500 (the sporty low beautiful one). It's the only Lexus I can stand to look at with the Atomic bow-tie grill. I like the looks of that car. It was hard to get in and out of, would be hard to see out of and I thought the interior and especially the dashboard weird and very disappointing. It's like they just didn't know what the heck to do with it. The only thing that was great besides the rear lines was the seat. It was the most amazing seat I think I've ever sat it. I guess for over 92k it better be.

The main reason I went was because my daughter is in the market for a new car. She has her heart set on  an overpriced-for-no-reason Toyota 4runner. I just don't get why that car is so expensive. And she thinks it's cool looking - ugh. She's one of those people who think Toyota is SO reliable. I bought her a Scion XD 10 years ago. It has not even 80k miles on it and has had a lot of problems that should NEVER happen in under 80k miles. This last week it was a front wheel bearing to the tune of over $800!!! Last time I had a wheel bearing go out in a Chevy it was like under $100 to have someone else do it and the part too. Toyota parts and repair are a total ripoff. Personally I'd never buy one again, and that XD has had more problems than maybe 4 of our cars put togther. But all that is only part of the night. I persuaded her to go look at other cars. Really wasn't much to choose from, everything is too small or too big. We ended up at the Ford display. In my opinion the Ford Edge was the best car for the money. You get way more car and interior for less money than the Toyota. In the end, that Toyota would be a big car payment. The Edge would definitely be less. At least I got her thinking about it...

• Like 1

I have never owned a Toyota but I have considered one for the future because we have a need for something with some off road prowess.  Hitting up the appropriate forums led me to believe that they are not the same Toyota quality as the previous decade. I agree with you 100% about the 4Runner and would consider the Land Cruiser but it has the same issue.  I’m waiting on the Bronco and if that doesn’t tickle my fancy I’ll be putting some raptor wheels on my ‘18 Navigator and enjoy the heated seat massage as I drive to my campsite.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, Deafsoundguy said:

Sorry, I thought I mentioned it. The Portland (PDX) Auto show

Thank you for sharing your auto show impressions Deafsoundguy sir. The organizers of Portland Auto Show did a good job, it looks like only Cadillac, Genesis, and Lincoln were not represented among the auto brands sold by dealerships.

Dallas Auto Show has a much longer list of car brands without exhibits this year. Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Mazda, Mini, Land Rover, and Volvo are all no shows. Very disappointing. Interesting that the 3 brands that didn't come to Portland Auto Show are all present for Dallas Auto Show.

At the Dallas and Fort Worth auto shows, Ford has always given out $50 gift cards for show attendees who test drive one of their vehicles at a dealership. I hope you were able to get that offer in Portland too!

2020map-1-1200x541.jpg

Edited by rperez817

wow that's insane that there was/is so many no shows at the Dallas auto show. I would be ticked if I went to the show and there were so many no-shows. Yes the show and venue is pretty awesome in Portland. If you're a Porsche nut, there's a HUGE Porsche display and tons of old ones to oogle over. I personally could care less about Porsches so it doesn't do anything for me, but they did a great job making it Porsche heaven for those that like them. Since by my earlier post about my somewhat disdain over Toyota parts/repairs/reliability I really tried to steer my daughter from any Toyotas even though she loves the 4Runner. I even tried the big Mazda display, since they really have a lot of sizes and types to offer as well as our past great record with Mazdas. But she hates the rear end of those cars for some reason.

In retrospect, I really want her to check out the Corsair as it's interior is excellent (to me and the wife anyway) and AWD capability. I know the Lincoln stereo is going to blow away the Toyota so I may be able to coax her out of a 4Runner that way...these kids these days value their stereos pretty highly (as well as my lovely wife ?). Since Lincoln  wasn't there at the show I'm going to try and get her to the dealer. If she doesn't like the lower non tree climbing look of the Corsair versus the 4Runner, at least got her interest up in the Edge. She at least would entertain it due to it's cheaper price and nicer material interior.

Can't understand how a big city like Dallas wouldn't have a better Auto show.... Great city. Last time I was there boy the food was great!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...