Pre Production Mustang Mach E

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah well if that wasn't called a Mustang, the Mustang as you know it would be going away just like Camaro is. 

Why?  The Mustang shares zero components with the Mach E other than the name/badge.  The Mach E has nothing to do with the profitability of the the “real” Mustang.  It’s a marketing/branding scheme and if it helps sell the Mach E, I’m all for it.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ron W. said:

Just my opinion but that's no Mustang, just call it the Mach E.

In the Grand scheme of things that is what its going to get called, I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see the Mustang name get dropped at some point in time, like 5-10 years from now. 

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Why?  

Because giving it the Mustang name it eases the CAFE hit the regular Mustang has, which will become more problematic come 2022 when the standard gets tougher regardless of whether or not the Trump administration gets their way and freezes regulations. 

It's a very clever solution to an otherwise very difficult and expensive problem to solve. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

9 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Why?  The Mustang shares zero components with the Mach E other than the name/badge.  The Mach E has nothing to do with the profitability of the the “real” Mustang.  It’s a marketing/branding scheme and if it helps sell the Mach E, I’m all for it.  

They're setting the coupe up to go BEV in about five years time, they're gonna stretch the ICE platform to about ten years (2014-2024).

The reception the MME got almost guarantees that will happen.

Edited by jpd80

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

In the Grand scheme of things that is what its going to get called, I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to see the Mustang name get dropped at some point in time, like 5-10 years from now. 

In 10 years what will not exist will be the current RWD ICE V8 powered Mustang in a low ride coupe form... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

In 10 years what will not exist will be the current RWD ICE V8 powered Mustang in a low ride coupe form... 

Yes, vehicles must evolve if they are to survive, performance never goes away, it changes direction.

We should enjoy the vehicles we have today because their replacements could be completely different.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because giving it the Mustang name it eases the CAFE hit the regular Mustang has, which will become more problematic come 2022 when the standard gets tougher regardless of whether or not the Trump administration gets their way and freezes regulations. 

It's a very clever solution to an otherwise very difficult and expensive problem to solve. 

Don’t think so...CAFE numbers are calculated across the entire fleet.  So yes, while Mach E increases the fleet average for Ford, calling it a Mustang has nothing to do with the longevity of the “real” Mustang. 

Edited by 02MustangGT

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Don’t think so...CAFE numbers are calculated across the entire fleet.  So yes, while Mach E increases the fleet average for Ford, calling it a Mustang has nothing to do with the longevity of the “real” Mustang. 

So you’re saying the engineer that let that slip was wrong? 

With so many car sales going away, I think CAFE will have to assess its part in

the downfall of efficient vehicles in favour of trucks and utilities.

They made limits for cars so tough that manufacturers just steered everyone over to 

higher profit utilities and trucks.

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

So you’re saying the engineer that let that slip was wrong? 

Citation?   Did he say that CAFE was the reason the Mustang name is used on the Mach E?   If so, yes, that’s just not true.   If you believe that the Mustang cannot continue to exist in its current form, sure, that makes more sense.  But the Mustang name on the Mach E has nothing to do with CAFE.  

42 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Citation?   Did he say that CAFE was the reason the Mustang name is used on the Mach E?   If so, yes, that’s just not true.   If you believe that the Mustang cannot continue to exist in its current form, sure, that makes more sense.  But the Mustang name on the Mach E has nothing to do with CAFE.  

It was from that AMA that came out a couple of weeks ago. I'll find it tomorrow, I'm about to go to bed. 

F the Mach E, but for the sake of discussion... if you truly believe the future is utilities and the Mustang is a dead car walking (Driving?) Then it makes sense to soften this transition with the E... get people used to it, and then in 10 years when you kill the real Mustang... you drop Mach E from the Big mustang and it takes over and continues the name.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yep.  Thanks for proving my point.  The EV helps balance out CAFE across the lineup.  The “real” Mustang could continue to exist with any EV in the portfolio (regardless of name).  However, Ford decided to use the Mustang name on an EV for marketing and hopes that it leads to sales.  Nothing wrong with that, it could be the only “Mustang” we have 15 years from now.  

New fuel regulations really put Pony cars in a pit of despair and unless you have something like an EV to counterbalance the fuel economy losses it's not financially sustainable to keep the Pony nameplate alive.“

50 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Yep.  Thanks for proving my point.  The EV helps balance out CAFE across the lineup.  The “real” Mustang could continue to exist with any EV in the portfolio (regardless of name).  However, Ford decided to use the Mustang name on an EV for marketing and hopes that it leads to sales.  Nothing wrong with that, it could be the only “Mustang” we have 15 years from now.  

New fuel regulations really put Pony cars in a pit of despair and unless you have something like an EV to counterbalance the fuel economy losses it's not financially sustainable to keep the Pony nameplate alive.“

The way the original BEV C-Max project was heading, it would have been DOA as just another lamo compliance vehicle.

Sure, Farley and Hackett telling engineers to think Mustang was a way of saving the project and making it desirable

but the acid test was Bill Ford, he refusedsed to sign off on Mach E until he was personally convinced that the vehicle

was worthy of that name. In this, as the founder's representative, we can be certain that   the name is appropriate and

deserved if Ford proceeds carefully with expanding the Mustang name as a sub brand.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The way the original BEV C-Max project was heading, it would have been DOA as just another lamo compliance vehicle.

Sure, Farley and Hackett telling engineers to think Mustang was a way of saving the project and making it desirable

but the acid test was Bill Ford, he refusedsed to sign off on Mach E until he was personally convinced that the vehicle

was worthy of that name. In this, as the founder's representative, we can be certain that   the name is appropriate and

deserved if Ford proceeds carefully with expanding the Mustang name as a sub brand.

Thanks.  I’m well aware of the motive regarding the Mach E. 

5 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Thanks.  I’m well aware of the motive regarding the Mach E. 

Of course, what I really meant to say was that new chassis offers hope that eventually we will see more options.

the Sports coupe migrate to a lowest version, perhaps a mid engine version as well to do battle with Corvette

Things are going to upset purists but if there's some interesting choices then maybe not so bad...

Edited by jpd80