Ford Hopes you'll trade info for cheaper Insurance

First of all, I don't buy new cars.  I'm 69 and I've only bought one new car, a 1985 Ford wagon. Here's why:  A) You can't fix anything yourself!  B) Your insurance and property taxes are huge in the beginning. I buy 5 to 10  year old cars and keep them for another 10 years or more!  And they're all Fords by the way. My insurance and property tax are peanuts! Depreciation is great! Now talking about driving habits.  There is no sense in roaring up to a traffic light and making a complete dead stop!  You know how much brake wear you incur bringing a 2 ton vehicle to a DEAD stop?!  Learn how to time yourself so you don't have to stop dead, instead coming to a slow roll.  Here's a tip: The traffic signals are controlled by loop sensors in the pavement which detect the presence and absence of traffic on the main thoroughfare and intersecting side streets.  Usually the main drag will get a 40 to 60 second green and go to red either for a vehicle on the side street OR to accommodate a low mass vehicle like a motorcycle which didn't trigger the sensor on the side street.  If there is no vehicle, the signal will turn red after 5 seconds, and if there was a vehicle, 5 seconds after the last vehicle has cleared the intersection.  Then the main drag will get the green!  So I tap my brakes on the main drag when my light turns red, and by the time I get to it, it turns green, never having had to stop DEAD.  So now on the other side of the coin, I don't have to bring my 2 ton vehicle from a DEAD stop up to speed!  You know how much gas that saves?  I'm supposed to get 25 MPG with my car, but I get 31!  I get 150,000 to 200,000 plus miles on my brakes!  I know, you don't believe me.  But it's true!  The only place I have to stop dead is a busy Main Street, and sometimes not even there! I used to get 52 MPG with my WIFE'S 1996 Nissan Sentra 5 spd overdrive!  Who needs hybrids?!

Edited by Joe771476
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

First of all, I don't buy new cars.  I'm 69 and I've only bought one new car, a 1985 Ford wagon. Here's why:  A) You can't fix anything yourself!  B) Your insurance and property taxes are huge in the beginning. I buy 5 to 10  year old cars and keep them for another 10 years or more!  And they're all Fords by the way. My insurance and property tax are peanuts! Depreciation is great! Now talking about driving habits.  There is no sense in roaring up to a traffic light and making a complete dead stop!  You know how much brake wear you incur bringing a 2 ton vehicle to a DEAD stop?!  Learn how to time yourself so you don't have to stop dead, instead coming to a slow roll.  Here's a tip: The traffic signals are controlled by loop sensors in the pavement which detect the presence and absence of traffic on the main thoroughfare and intersecting side streets.  Usually the main drag will get a 40 to 60 second green and go to red either for a vehicle on the side street OR to accommodate a low mass vehicle like a motorcycle which didn't trigger the sensor on the side street.  If there is no vehicle, the signal will turn red after 5 seconds, and if there was a vehicle, 5 seconds after the last vehicle has cleared the intersection.  Then the main drag will get the green!  So I tap my brakes on the main drag when my light turns red, and by the time I get to it, it turns green, never having had to stop DEAD.  So now on the other side of the coin, I don't have to bring my 2 ton vehicle from a DEAD stop up to speed!  You know how much gas that saves?  I'm supposed to get 25 MPG with my car, but I get 31!  I get 150,000 to 200,000 plus miles on my brakes!  I know, you don't believe me.  But it's true!  The only place I have to stop dead is a busy Main Street, and sometimes not even there! I used to get 52 MPG with my WIFE'S 1996 Nissan Sentra 5 spd overdrive!  Who needs hybrids?!

image.png.29d2eb5afca5b4b730b5d898167f4208.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:04 PM, Joe771476 said:

Here's something newer for you.  I wouldn't mind having this.