2020 Explorer Feedback

Well, we've had our 2020 Explorer for almost four months now.  It's time for some feedback, Ford.  Firstly, the vehicle was delivered with a torn second row seat cover.  That took two weeks to remedy.  The tailgate opens on its own intermittently (not while in motion) and at times won't open from the dash or the fob (happened to my wife with the dog in the cargo area and couldn't get him out. She's ready to get rid of the vehicle).  Dealer can't replicate/find the problem.  The tailgate/headliner seal was mis-aligned and the headliner started dropping - remediated so far.  Now, the driver's side rear brake/running LED light assembly is completely dead.  Dealer doesn't have the part and has to see it before they can order a replacement.  That mean two more trips to the dealer with a four month old new vehicle and probably no brake light for another two weeks.  This speaks of poor quality for a $60K Platinum edition.  C'mon Ford you can do better.  This is frustrating to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Ford completely botched the launch of 2020 Explorer, and that a first year all new or redesigned Ford vehicle is almost guaranteed to have issues that require trips to your dealership service department.

But what y'all are having to deal with yesguitarman and SStone is appalling.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:17 PM, yesguitarman said:

Well, we've had our 2020 Explorer for almost four months now.  It's time for some feedback, Ford.  Firstly, the vehicle was delivered with a torn second row seat cover.  That took two weeks to remedy.  The tailgate opens on its own intermittently (not while in motion) and at times won't open from the dash or the fob (happened to my wife with the dog in the cargo area and couldn't get him out. She's ready to get rid of the vehicle).  Dealer can't replicate/find the problem.  The tailgate/headliner seal was mis-aligned and the headliner started dropping - remediated so far.  Now, the driver's side rear brake/running LED light assembly is completely dead.  Dealer doesn't have the part and has to see it before they can order a replacement.  That mean two more trips to the dealer with a four month old new vehicle and probably no brake light for another two weeks.  This speaks of poor quality for a $60K Platinum edition.  C'mon Ford you can do better.  This is frustrating to say the least.

Good Lord, I was planning on towing my camper with my new explorer 1000 miles when it comes in.  Do you see any issues with that? Have you seen any mechanical issues? 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:22 AM, Colleen said:

Good Lord, I was planning on towing my camper with my new explorer 1000 miles when it comes in.  Do you see any issues with that? Have you seen any mechanical issues? 

Hi Colleen. Not sure how long after you get your new Explorer you plan on waiting before you tow your camper. However, if you check the Owners Manual for the break-in requirements, you will see that Ford states not to tow during the first 1,000 miles.

Good luck.

21 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Colleen. Not sure how long after you get your new Explorer you plan on waiting before you tow your camper. However, if you check the Owners Manual for the break-in requirements, you will see that Ford states not to tow during the first 1,000 miles.

Good luck.

Thank you for that information. I guess I will be altering my plans. 

• 5 weeks later...

Got our 2020 Explorer ST in October 2019 so about 7 months now.  Had to have the hood and right side doors aligned to even up the gaps, but the dealer did a good job of it.  Also, the HVAC vent to the right of the steering wheel was broke on delivery - got that fixed promptly as well.  Shouldn't of had to deal with things like that on a new vehicle but once those items were corrected I'm pleased with the vehicle and we haven't had and problems with it that were Ford's fault. Lost a windshield to a flying rock but can hardly blame them for that!

I will say that I was disappointed that my Galaxy Note 9 cell phone - a very common model - is too big to fit in the wireless charging slot so that's a real fail on their part.

All in all, love the vehicle, love driving it.  Really like the adaptive cruise feature and the spirited driving.  They also nailed the functionality of the fob with the door & hatch locking/unlocking, etc.  It's easy to forget that you are unlocking the doors when you grab the handle.  Takes me back to the days when we just left the keys in the ignition.