Ford TireCare

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Hope this is the correct subforum. 

New Nav is here and  we are taking delivery tomorrow. I meant to post this weeks ago. Hoping there is someone who has purchased the TirCare and can give feedback. Worth it? Seems to be. 

Thanks!

Hi Black Label. Tough question to answer, since cost/plans/coverage/terms can vary. Any more details you can share?

My blind Internet opinion, with minimal information? It is only worth it if you usually get a lot of flat/damaged tires.

5 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Black Label. Tough question to answer, since cost/plans/coverage/terms can vary. Any more details you can share?

My blind Internet opinion, with minimal information? It is only worth it if you usually get a lot of flat/damaged tires.

Hey bbf  Thanks, understood.

For the Nav, it will be $1069 for 6 years. $969 for 5 years. With the Black Label tires and rims, it seems 2 flats and/or damaged rims would pay for it. Seems like pretty good insurance. All other basic wear and tear items are covered for 4 years/50,000 miles. Like I said, I feel it would pay for itself over that period. Hmmm....

Ha, I guess I'm talking myself in to it. 

Hi  Black Label.......I'm waiting for my new Nautilus and it's the only extra I will be getting from the dealer. With the prices they charge for a tire and rim I think it is good insurance. I would like to hear from others who have it and have used it. Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.

• Like 1

I ended up getting it when I leased my BL Nautilus a year ago because of the expensive wheels and low profile tires that come with Black Label vehicles. I found that they provided a surprisingly comfortable ride, but physics is physics when one is looking at the prospects of curb rash or bent rims and flat tires from deep potholes. Only other time I had a car with low profile tires was a VW CC, and one winter Washington DC potholes blessed me with two flat tires and one bent rim.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hoppy4 said:

Hi  Black Label.......I'm waiting for my new Nautilus and it's the only extra I will be getting from the dealer. With the prices they charge for a tire and rim I think it is good insurance. I would like to hear from others who have it and have used it. Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.

Yep I think I am settled on getting this. Thanks, and congrats to you and enjoy yours as well!

12 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I ended up getting it when I leased my BL Nautilus a year ago because of the expensive wheels and low profile tires that come with Black Label vehicles. I found that they provided a surprisingly comfortable ride, but physics is physics when one is looking at the prospects of curb rash or bent rims and flat tires from deep potholes. Only other time I had a car with low profile tires was a VW CC, and one winter Washington DC potholes blessed me with two flat tires and one bent rim.

Thanks. Yes, I think I'd be kicking myself if I have to replace a Black Label rim. 

4 hours ago, Black Label said:

Hey bbf  Thanks, understood.

For the Nav, it will be $1069 for 6 years. $969 for 5 years. With the Black Label tires and rims, it seems 2 flats and/or damaged rims would pay for it. Seems like pretty good insurance. All other basic wear and tear items are covered for 4 years/50,000 miles. Like I said, I feel it would pay for itself over that period. Hmmm....

Ha, I guess I'm talking myself in to it. 

There is plenty of room to negotiate.  For my Explorer ST with the 21" rims, dealer cost was $304 for it.  Owners are typically paying around $800 for the coverage from dealers so that's close to $500 in markup.  This was for 6 years unlimited miles on rims/tires. 

PS - I didn't buy it (wish I had) because I curbed a rim parking on the side of a dark street on Halloween night and the rim was over $1,000 MSRP (insurance paid).

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

There is plenty of room to negotiate.  For my Explorer ST with the 21" rims, dealer cost was $304 for it.  Owners are typically paying around $800 for the coverage from dealers so that's close to $500 in markup.  This was for 6 years unlimited miles on rims/tires. 

PS - I didn't buy it (wish I had) because I curbed a rim parking on the side of a dark street on Halloween night and the rim was over $1,000 MSRP (insurance paid).

Ah, okay good to know. Funny, I won't pay what I don't want to pay, within reason of course, for the vehicle itself but didn't think of this being negotiable. 

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

Would Tire Care even cover the curb damage?   I don’t believe a curb is considered a road hazard.  

• Replaces wheels damaged due to a road hazard (excludes cosmetic damage)

https://fordprotect.ford.com/tirecare?searchid=291998006|21587442086|&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI3OP2n9T05wIVgf5kCh3r_weXEAAYASAAEgKKc_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2519!3!267762457856!e!!g!!ford tire care

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Ah, okay good to know. Funny, I won't pay what I don't want to pay, within reason of course, for the vehicle itself but didn't think of this being negotiable. 

Hi Black Label. Always keep in mind that virtually everything is negotiable at the Dealership. That goes for the Lincoln Protect/ESP Plans (do not buy from the Dealer, we can give you online sources that will give much better pricing anyway...see below), Wheel/Tire Protection Plans, Maintenance Plans, etc.

Even if you decide to buy some sort of Lincoln Accessory through the Parts Department, such as extra floor mats, cargo organizers, wheel locks, etc. They will usually charge you the retail price. So always ask if they can give you a better price. And cross shop the Parts Departments at other Dealerships to get the best price.

Related information: If you are contemplating purchasing a Lincoln Protect/ESP Plan, be sure to get price quotes here: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=New_Used_Cpo_Lincoln_Protect

And here: https://www.floodfordesp.com/

I purchased my last three Lincoln Protect/ESP Plans from Ziegler, after extensive Dealer and online price comparisons.

There are also many other online Lincoln/Ford/ESP Plans sellers with pricing much lower than almost all Dealerships. Just Google "Lincoln ESP".

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Would Tire Care even cover the curb damage?   I don’t believe a curb is considered a road hazard.  

https://fordprotect.ford.com/tirecare?searchid=291998006|21587442086|&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI3OP2n9T05wIVgf5kCh3r_weXEAAYASAAEgKKc_D_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2519!3!267762457856!e!!g!!ford tire care

Yes, it would be covered.  

This is some great info. Sounds like it's worth it to me, those rims are spendy. I didn't even know about it. Which looking back I just realized that in all my new car buying experiences over the last 30 years, this is the first time (buying our BL Nautilus) I've never been led into the "office" while doing the paperwork and been offered all the different things you can buy. I mean they offered me nothing, not even extended warranties... It was the end of the night though, I think everyone just wanted to go home.....

I would think one BL rim would more than pay for a tire/warranty package. Personally I've been super duper lucky and never bent a rim and I've hit my share of car swallowing pot holes ?. There was that one though where I hit a concrete anchor "J" bolt laying in the road and it ruined a brand new Continental... Boy what a sound that was driving up the street with a J bolt sticking out ?

Hi all.The Lincoln/Ford Tire Care Coverage covers wheels that are bent/cracked/not serviceable. They will be replaced under the plan coverage.

Wheels with road rash, scratches, nicks, or cosmetic damage etc, due to road hazards or any other reasons, are not covered. They will not be repaired or replaced. As the contract states, "excludes cosmetic damage".

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi all.The Lincoln/Ford Tire Care Coverage covers wheels that are bent/cracked/not serviceable. They will be replaced under the plan coverage.

Wheels with road rash, scratches, nicks, or cosmetic damage etc, due to road hazards or any other reasons, are not covered. They will not be repaired or replaced. As the contract states, "excludes cosmetic damage".

Good luck.

I have had 3 different dealers and 4 different people tell me it would be covered including the dealer who sells to members on here at cost.  He has zero reason to lie to me.

10 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I have had 3 different dealers and 4 different people tell me it would be covered including the dealer who sells to members on here at cost.  He has zero reason to lie to me.

Hi blwnsmoke. I am not calling anyone a liar. Only quoting the official Ford literature for the Ford Tire Care Coverage Plan (provided with a link by 02MustangGT). What they told you contradicts the official Ford literature for the Tire Care Plan. It clearly states "excludes cosmetic damage". That would mean no coverage for curb/road rash.

Your argument is not with anyone here, it is with the official Ford literature and/or the people you spoke to. Perhaps you should show the official literature to them and make sure they are not mistaken.

Let us know what they say and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Whoever is telling you this may certainly believe it, but that’s not what the contract states.  If you get a dealer to eat the cost or somehow circumvent the contract language to replace a wheel with cosmetic damage...more power to you.  Ford certainly isn’t going to approve or reimburse the replacement/repair of a wheel with cosmetic damage under the terms of the TireCare plan.  

Hi all. Just to add some additional information, here is a direct copy and paste quote from the actual Ford Tire Care brochure (my bolding and underlining of the relevant text):

"Ford Protect TireCARE offers protection from the hazards of the road. If your tires or wheels become damaged as a result of driving over debris, such as nails, glass or metal, or if you have a blowout driving over a pothole, Ford Protect TireCARE will help you avoid expensive repairs.

Coverage includes: Approved costs associated with the repair or replacement of a tire (if structurally damaged) or the replacement of a wheel if road hazard damage prevents the wheel from sealing to the tire or maintaining the tire manufacturer’s air pressure specifications. Covered road hazards may include:Glass or metal in the roadPotholes, debris, nails, etc."

As can be seen, it clearly states the wheel will be replaced if "road hazard damage prevents the wheel from sealing to the tire or maintaining the tire manufacturer’s air pressure specifications". Cosmetic damage/curb rash etc, will not prevent proper sealing or maintaining of pressure.

And from the same page of the brochure (again, my bolding and underlining):

"What is not covered by TireCARE? See your Agreement for exclusions and limitations. Here are some examples:

- Damage to tires with less than 3/32” tread depth at the lowest point on the tire at the time of damage

- Cosmetic damage to tires and wheels

- Damage caused by vandalism, theft, or driving with low or no tire pressure

- Repairs made without prior authorization

- Damage caused by road conditions (such as uneven lanes or metal plates) in construction sites

- Failures from normal wear and tear, abnormal/improper wear or dry rot".

The entire brochure can be seen/downloaded here: https://fordprotect.ford.com/media//brochure/default/64172_935b_FP_Tire_Bro_2019.pdf

Hope this helps make it more understandable. Good luck.

EDIT - The only disclaimer I would add is that the brochure does state (on the first page): "Coverage may vary by state".

So perhaps some states disallow exclusions? That I do not know. Bottom line is each Ford/Lincoln owner better make sure exactly what their own contract states.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Oh, the guy said retail for that was around $1400, so I guess I got a good deal on it. 

Hi BL. Just curious. Is it a Lincoln/Ford backed Plan? What does it cover?

EDIT - Nevermind. Googled it. Tire Care/Dent Care/Windshield Care. ?

Link: https://lincolnprotect.lincoln.com/media//brochure/stores/4/64172_700b_LincTripleBro_2017.pdf

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi BL. Just curious. Is it a Lincoln/Ford backed Plan? What does it cover?

EDIT - Nevermind. Googled it. Tire Care/Dent Care/Windshield Care. ?

Link: https://lincolnprotect.lincoln.com/media//brochure/stores/4/64172_700b_LincTripleBro_2017.pdf

Hey man, yes seems like a no brainer for small paint nicks and dings, windshield etc. Appreciate your info earlier. 

Edit: Not sure why but I felt that sounded snarky. Sorry. Yes, the Triple Care covers a lot for a small extra cot IMHO. 

Edited by Black Label

• 2 weeks later...

Long thread, lots of info to read through but due to time constraints on my end I offer this bit of personal experience to this topic. I took delivery on my Aviator Reserve II on 10/30/19 and on 11/20/19 with 348 miles on the 22” Goodyear Eagle Touring my wife had a catastrophic inside sidewall blowout. Kind of weird because she didn’t hit anything parked it to go in a store came out a few minutes later and she saw the front passenger tire flat. She is a careful driver and seeing that the tire wasn’t driven on while flat leads me to believe it was due to some sort of manufacturing factory issue. Knowing that I had the tire/rim warranty offered by my dealer (USD Ultimate Titanium Plus policy) for $800 I called to have the spare put on and then I drove it to the dealer for a new tire. No questions within 45 minutes I was rolling again. The replacement tire was $378 thankfully I had that tire road hazard warranty I just signed on the dotted line. 

I had tire issues with my 2016 sedan and rim issues with my other 2018 suv and didn’t have the insurance so at the time of purchase with my 2020 Aviator it was a no-brainer to get that policy. The roads in northeast Pennsylvania suck so I think it will be a good investment by the time I move on to my next vehicle. 

A0C5DBF3-DAED-42DD-B8EA-EC76C21A91F1.jpeg

992AF680-AAD2-458E-B96D-651C7DA7692E.jpeg

AC33058F-5974-4E80-B992-BBF20C4E677C.jpeg

BBB0C919-A1FA-4511-AA0C-2FC881B7441F.jpeg

Edited by big_dude_nepa

1 hour ago, big_dude_nepa said:

Long thread, lots of info to read through but due to time constraints on my end I offer this bit of personal experience to this topic. I took delivery on my Aviator Reserve II on 10/30/19 and on 11/20/19 with 348 miles on the 22” Goodyear Eagle Touring my wife had a catastrophic inside sidewall blowout. Kind of weird because she didn’t hit anything parked it to go in a store came out a few minutes later and she saw the front passenger tire flat. She is a careful driver and seeing that the tire wasn’t driven on while flat leads me to believe it was due to some sort of manufacturing factory issue. Knowing that I had the tire/rim warranty offered by my dealer (USD Ultimate Titanium Plus policy) for $800 I called to have the spare put on and then I drove it to the dealer for a new tire. No questions within 45 minutes I was rolling again. The replacement tire was $378 thankfully I had that tire road hazard warranty I just signed on the dotted line. 

I had tire issues with my 2016 sedan and rim issues with my other 2018 suv and didn’t have the insurance so at the time of purchase with my 2020 Aviator it was a no-brainer to get that policy. The roads in northeast Pennsylvania suck so I think it will be a good investment by the time I move on to my next vehicle. 

Hi bdn. Just as an FYI: That is a large gouge/puncture, not a manufacturing defect.  Experience would state it was caused by some sort of relatively sharp object that was loose on the ground, not a curb/pothole etc.

Your wife probably ran over whatever it was just seconds before she parked. Being a sidewall puncture/gouge, she would never have even felt it, just as she told you. The object just caught the sidewall and punched right into the tire and stayed on the ground close to wherever it was laying.

Happy to hear it was taken care of and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530