Chevy Impala discontinued

probowler

Another car bites the dust.

After over six decades running, Chevrolet's Impala has reached the end of the road.

Seen across the country as a staple American car, around 8:30 a.m. Thursday, the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly line rolled off its final 2021 Impala signaling an end to era for the General Motors. The Impala was introduced in 1958 and car has been continuously produced with the exception of 1985 to1994. More than 16.8 million have been sold globally, which does not including the 1994-96 Impala SS, which was labeled a Chevy Caprice.

Full story

3 hours ago, chrisholland03 said:

This last generation Impala was a very nice car and underappreciated.  It was my go-to during business travel.  

Yes sir. A couple Lyft rides I had in Washington, D.C. were with that generation Impala. It is among the most comfortable cars I've experienced. Consumer Reports ranked it the best large car from 2014 until 2018.

Edited by rperez817

56 minutes ago, Ovaltine said:

If I could pick an Impala to own, here's what MINE would be:   1965 Impala SS!   (w/327 CID  300 HP / 4 speed)

Original location: https://photos.classiccars.com/cc-temp/listing/117/3183/14852361-1965-chevrolet-impala-std.jpg

14852361-1965-chevrolet-impala-std.jpg

That's really old school cool!  The Tim Allen character Mike Baxter has that car on the show Last Man Standing along with his classic Ford Pickup.

And back then cars came in real colors because they were a personal purchase, not a 3 year rental.

Hi gang. For those of us too young and far too young to remember: The 60's was Classic Car heaven. And if you take a look at the sales numbers, engine/engine output choices, huge trim/model availability etc, the Ford Galaxie/Galaxie 500//LTD versus Chevrolet Impala/Caprice battles were as big, if not bigger, than the Mustang versus Camaro.

Edited by bbf2530

23 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi gang. For those of us too young and far too young to remember: The 60's was Classic Car heaven. And if you take a look at the sales numbers, engine/engine output choices, huge trim/model availability etc, the Ford Galaxie/Galaxie 500//LTD versus Chevrolet Impala/Caprice battles were as big, if not bigger, than the Mustang versus Camaro.

My first car, a '66 Impala 4-door hardtop (no post), 283 w/2-speed Powerglide.  My only regret was that I inherited this car because my Father passed away when I was 15, so my Mom decided to hang on to it until I got my license.

HRG

0a46b67b5683ba8ce4be5e18ad42ce69.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

List of full-size sedans from mainstream brands still being produced for U.S. market following Chevy Impala discontinuation.

• Chrysler 300
  • Dodge Charger
  • Kia Cadenza
  • Kia K900
  • Toyota Avalon

Nissan Maxima competes with the models on the list, but it doesn't have enough interior room to be considered full-size by the EPA.

25 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

List of full-size sedans from mainstream brands still being produced for U.S. market following Chevy Impala discontinuation.

• Chrysler 300 - 29,213 (dead man walking from rumors)
  • Dodge Charger - 96,935
  • Kia Cadenza - 1,630
  • Kia K900 - 390
  • Toyota Avalon - 27,767

Nissan Maxima competes with the models on the list, but it doesn't have enough interior room to be considered full-size by the EPA.

I've added 2019 sales totals for those models.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most 60's Impalas were family sedans, not all were manual trans, Big Block SS's, and there were also trims of full size Chevy: Biscayne, Bel Air, and Caprice. The often quoted "1 million 1965 models" included those.

Some younger car fans think all old Chevys were "Imaplas", like on those Motor Trend TV "car build shows". Even once heard someone pozt online "Love the 1957 Chevy Impala!"

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, Kev-Mo said:

That's really old school cool!  The Tim Allen character Mike Baxter has that car on the show Last Man Standing along with his classic Ford Pickup.

And back then cars came in real colors because they were a personal purchase, not a 3 year rental.

One of my friends has one of these. His is maroon with black interior. 

On 2/28/2020 at 4:15 PM, rmc523 said:

I've added 2019 sales totals for those models.

Dodge is freaking killing it with those Charger and Challenger sales...

They better be very careful if/when they decide to finally update those cars.... I don't know how you replicate that kind of magic twice.

Both Charger and Challenger (and to an extent the 300) really have some ageless styling that even though they are long the tooth, they are still attractive and not "old looking".  It will be hard to replicate that.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1