2011 Ford F150 sliding rear window defogger

lastmanstanding

Bought my 2011 F150 new. Sliding read window with defogger was under warrrenty when the FIRST one went out. It was repaired at no cost in 2013....... That window lasted until October of 2018 when the defogger quit again, and was replaced, this time only partially paid for by Ford....... Now, 16 months later, defogger has gone out again, and Ford won't help with or pick up the bill..... There was a recall on this window, and I'm sure they're still using the same design because they still have the same problem....... I don't care if the defogger don't work, but is there a way to "by-pass" the defogger to get the heated mirrors it work?  

Edited by lastmanstanding
misspelled word

14 hours ago, YT90SC said:

I believe the mirrors should work, just the status LED doesn't if the slider is bad. 

I was told by a service rep that if the rear defogger didn't work, the heated mirrors wouldn't work. One depends on the other, it's like the old christmas tree lights that were hooked up in serius, and he's correct, my mirrors are not heating up...... That being said, I came across this. Wondering if this is a good idea...... Don't want to burn out the wiring harness....... 

3 hours ago, lastmanstanding said:

I was told by a service rep that if the rear defogger didn't work, the heated mirrors wouldn't work. One depends on the other, it's like the old christmas tree lights that were hooked up in serius, and he's correct, my mirrors are not heating up...... That being said, I came across this. Wondering if this is a good idea...... Don't want to burn out the wiring harness....... 

That will ONLY light the LED and it is a PITA to get the seat out and the rear panel, if it has one. They are not in series. The mirrors operate independently from the window, otherwise they would not function if the window was open...  

3 hours ago, lastmanstanding said:

That will ONLY light the LED and it is a PITA to get the seat out and the rear panel, if it has one. They are not in series. The mirrors operate independently from the window, otherwise they would not function if the window was open... The mirrors SHOULD work, the LED just won't light. 

20 hours ago, YT90SC said:

That will ONLY light the LED and it is a PITA to get the seat out and the rear panel, if it has one. They are not in series. The mirrors operate independently from the window, otherwise they would not function if the window was open... The mirrors SHOULD work, the LED just won't light. 

..... As stated above......I have tried ...... and my mirrors don't heat up.......   Note: Although I've never tried it, I thought the rear window had to be closed for the defogger and mirror to work........   here's another video....this one is more involved.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51t4WZfqkY&list=PL9owbLuyqXum50tz_GZ9SkiMt882iJ_3t&index=3&t=102s

Both WSM section 501-11,  and 501-09 say that they work independently from the rear glass and the status LED. The wiring manual also shows independent circuitry for the mirrors and the glass. With neither the glass or mirrors working, I would suspect there is a different issue. Wiring, relay, fuse, HVAC module or FCIM.   

15 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Both WSM section 501-11,  and 501-09 say that they work independently from the rear glass and the status LED. The wiring manual also shows independent circuitry for the mirrors and the glass. With neither the glass or mirrors working, I would suspect there is a different issue. Wiring, relay, fuse, HVAC module or FCIM.   

Thanks for the info......... I have some work to do....... Thanks for your response............