Expand CUV power plant options

The wife's 2011 MKX is due for replacement at the end of the year.  There is not much out there in either the Edge or MKX lines that allows for a little more (2.3 or 2.6 Ecoboost) get-up-and-go w/o mandating all-wheel drive. With a 4X4  Expedition as our other vehicle, we don't really need to upsize to Explorer or Aviator.  I understand that certifying power plants is a complicated process, but we're probably not the only ones with this concern.  As much as cars cost nowadays, you have to hang on to them for the long term so why not get something more "fun" to drive?  Living in the SW, we have no need for all-wheel drive and the inherent costs that accompany it (ie. need to replace a tire and have to buy all four); and we have our other car for whenever we would.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:25 PM, akirby said:

He wants a 2.3Leb or 2.7Leb FWD which doesn’t exist in Edge, Nautilus or Corsair.  

have you driven a 2.0L edge or Nautilus?  They’re pretty peppy.  The engine was updated in 2015.

I don't get why you can get a 2.3L EB in Corsair but not Nautilus...

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I don't get why you can get a 2.3L EB in Corsair but not Nautilus...

Major decontenting and build simplification for Edge and Nautilus while they wait for replacements.  Lots of nickel and dime stuff and a few big ones like sharing the same two engines.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, YT90SC said:

I've driven 2.7's without the rear driveshaft installed. There is a reason you HAVE to have AWD with them... 

They actually offered the 2015 Edge Sport in FWD but that only lasted a year.  Like you said, there is a good reason.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Right, and it should be that base 2.0EB with 2.7EB upgrade for Edge and when you get to Lincoln, it goes from base 2.3EB and 3.0EB upgrade for Nautilus...maybe with re-design.

I'd say it's a given that the redesigned Nautilus will offer the 2.3LEB, but that's still at least a couple of years away.

• Like 1