Getrag confirms new partnership with Ford, including a 7-speed manual with a crawler gear. Bronco?

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Guess the Mustang is getting variant of this also. I'm just slightly surprised/pleased to see that a new manual transmission is being developed

Interesting they mention hybrid too-wonder how that works?!

Ask Honda. Pretty sure the Insight has a manual option. I know at least one of their hybrids does. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

8 minutes ago, probowler said:

They mention pickup... I'd imagine Ford would like to get the most use out of this possible, so is Ranger a possibility... or MAYBE it's a hint at the Bronco PU

Bronco and Ranger is a given I would think.  And any other off-road trucks.  Obviously won’t work for Sport.

11 minutes ago, probowler said:

They mention pickup... I'd imagine Ford would like to get the most use out of this possible, so is Ranger a possibility... or MAYBE it's a hint at the Bronco PU

Glad to see this might hit the Mustang!

Like akirby said, Ranger is pretty obvious. Maybe NG F-150 Raptor gets one too, that would be pretty interesting. 

2 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Isn’t Getrag the company that developed the infamous dual clutch for the Focus and Fiesta?

They also built the 6MT in Mustang and Transit and global Ranger.

Told ya last year this was happening.

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They built it but I don't think they had much to do with the actual development of it. 

It was never designed for the vehicles or engines that Ford put it in and from all accounts Ford knew it and did it anyway.   No blame for Getrag on that one.

The torque rating is enough for any gasoline engine Ford currently produces. The ~9000 lb gvwr / 29,000 lb gcwr is enough for pretty much all gas versions of F150/250/350. The 7.15:1 first gear is ideal for a HD gas pickup as it facilitates getting a big trailer started up a grade without slipping the clutch. For reference, The ZF-5/6, T-18, NP-435, and NV-5600 all have first gear ratios between 5.5 and 7.0.

Makes you wonder just how many applications Ford has planned. Obviously more is better to help amortize development costs.

If Ford makes an F-250 available with a 7.3L gas V8 and manual trans in 2021 I'll take back anything negative I've ever said about their product decisions lol!

2 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

If Ford makes an F-250 available with a 7.3L gas V8 and manual trans in 2021 I'll take back anything negative I've ever said about their product decisions lol!

Now you’re just being mean. A 7.3 with a man transmission would be just the ticket...

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

Now you’re just being mean. A 7.3 with a man transmission would be just the ticket...

I'm actually currently on the hunt for a 96/97 7.5L gasser ZF-5 truck. I love those OBS trucks, but it's getting real hard to find nice clean examples at this point, especially here in the rust belt.  Maybe I should wait a year and see what Ford has up their sleeve. Aluminum would be nice.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

They also built the 6MT in Mustang and Transit and global Ranger.

Told ya last year this was happening.

Safe to assume this one one replaces all of the previous versions in these vehicles. All those diesel Transits with manual transmission... ?

9 hours ago, bzcat said:

Safe to assume this one one replaces all of the previous versions in these vehicles. All those diesel Transits with manual transmission... ?

Also coming from the same Chinese Betray plant that produces the 6MT.

16 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

And hybrid is simple. Just put the electric assist motor between the clutch and trans. Also a fly-by-wire clutch pedal opens up some truly fascinating possibilities for manual transmissions.

What about regenerative power generation with a clutch? That is how a hybrid can partly recharge itself-it uses regenerative braking (aka engine braking) to generate power. That is bit complicated by using a clutch.