2022 Ford Transit Electric announcement

56 minutes ago, Deanh said:

very true....the LA Police Dept bought a fleet of 40 or so BMW i3 BEVS....all are sitting gathering dust basically, all on the tax payers dime...but if they hadn't of spent the money their budget for the next year would have been cut back accordingly....

Can't really blame them.  They look awful.  But they are only leasing them.  Still a colossal waste of money over an ICE vehicle that will actually be useful but it's good they didn't outright buy them.

https://electrek.co/2018/01/18/lapd-bmw-i3-fleet-barely-used/

So typical of the "green" movement.  "We have to spend over 10 million dollars to save money!"

Edited by sho94_2000

5 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

Thanks for this article. It reiterates one of the underlying issues for LAPD's low utilization of its BMW i3 cars, lack of proper training and education.

"If the issue is really that LAPD personnel have range anxiety, it should be easily fixed with some education. The BMW i3’s range should be more than enough for most travel in the city and if the employees become more familiar with the charging solutions, it should alleviate some of their concerns."

10 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for this article. It reiterates one of the underlying issues for LAPD's low utilization of its BMW i3 cars, lack of proper training and education.

Not necessarily.  It's speculation that range anxiety is the reason they are seeing such few miles.  Unnamed "sources" is not reliable and should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sho94_2000 said:

It's speculation that range anxiety is the reason they are seeing such few miles.  Unnamed "sources" is not reliable and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Good points sho94_2000 sir. Only LAPD and other LA city government officials know what's really behind the low utilization of the BMW i3 cars they leased, and they're not openly sharing that info.

Poor training is almost certainly an issue here, though. U.S. DOJ has harped on LAPD to improve its training in general for officers as well as civilian staff for decades.

5 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

I read the article about the Transit real fast and didn't see any mention of a partnership with Motiv regarding this E450 electric bus by Collins Bus.  So who's responsible for the electric motor in this Transit Electric

Most likely it was developed by Ford internally 

8 hours ago, sho94_2000 said:

So typical of the "green" movement.  "We have to spend over 10 million dollars to save money!"

The big issue with government budgets is that you get punished for not using the money allocated to you. Say you get $1000 to spend and you only spend $800-expect to only get $800 the next budget cycle. 

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The big issue with government budgets is that you get punished for not using the money allocated to you. Say you get $1000 to spend and you only spend $800-expect to only get $800 the next budget cycle. 

I've actually come up with a potential change to this system, what do you think of this idea:

Step 1) Establish a 3-year excess funds account

Funds that are not spent before the end of the FY are transferred into the excess funds account (3-years max). This account serves as an emergency/rainy day funding source in subsequent years usable by the organization as needed.

Step 2) Budget Adjustment
If after 3 years of budget excesses are accrued, the organizations budget will be re-evaluated and lowered accordingly.

Step 3) Future budget shortages
In the event of increased or new expenses,  the budget adjustment process will begin again and evaluate if a budget increase is warranted. During this time, organizations will be able to use their excess funds account to pay for non-budgeted expenses until they can obtain a permanent budget increase to pay for them.

Step 4) Excess fund account Exhaustion/Replenishment

Once excess fund account has been exhausted or after a budget amendment has been accomplished, a new 3-year cycle of saving will begin to replenish the account. If there are excess funds after a budget adjustment has been made,  2-years of excess funds will be returned to the federal budget with 1 year of excess funds (lowest?) will remain with the individual agency to account for emergency expenses.

The goal is to eliminate waste and excess caused by end of FY shopping sprees by giving government agencies more funding flexibility to survive the shock of a budget cut and give them extra funds to survive until unexpected shortages can be addressed though a future budget increase.

It's still a very rough idea, I haven't fully thought out everything, but where I work has a yearly Idea program that I might try and submit this idea to.

18 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Mustang Mach T

Really this is the only acceptable answer.  

I envision a future where Ford dumps the Ford name and renames itself Mustang Motor Company lol.  

I, for one, very much look forward to the Mustang Mach F-150

3 hours ago, sho94_2000 said:

Really this is the only acceptable answer.  

I envision a future where Ford dumps the Ford name and renames itself Mustang Motor Company lol.  

I, for one, very much look forward to the Mustang Mach F-150

In order to take advantage of Ford's two best known nameplates, the 2-door Mustang will now be known as M-150.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, probowler said:

I've actually come up with a potential change to this system, what do you think of this idea:

Step 1) Establish a 3-year excess funds account

Funds that are not spent before the end of the FY are transferred into the excess funds account (3-years max). This account serves as an emergency/rainy day funding source in subsequent years usable by the organization as needed.

Step 2) Budget Adjustment
If after 3 years of budget excesses are accrued, the organizations budget will be re-evaluated and lowered accordingly.

Step 3) Future budget shortages
In the event of increased or new expenses,  the budget adjustment process will begin again and evaluate if a budget increase is warranted. During this time, organizations will be able to use their excess funds account to pay for non-budgeted expenses until they can obtain a permanent budget increase to pay for them.

Step 4) Excess fund account Exhaustion/Replenishment

Once excess fund account has been exhausted or after a budget amendment has been accomplished, a new 3-year cycle of saving will begin to replenish the account. If there are excess funds after a budget adjustment has been made,  2-years of excess funds will be returned to the federal budget with 1 year of excess funds (lowest?) will remain with the individual agency to account for emergency expenses.

The goal is to eliminate waste and excess caused by end of FY shopping sprees by giving government agencies more funding flexibility to survive the shock of a budget cut and give them extra funds to survive until unexpected shortages can be addressed though a future budget increase.

It's still a very rough idea, I haven't fully thought out everything, but where I work has a yearly Idea program that I might try and submit this idea to.

I deal with 9 figure corporate budgets all the time.   This is a nice idea but will never work because the funds that go into our excess funds account will either get allocated to someone else who needs it more that year or (more likely) will just result in reduced funding next year.   Let's say you have $100M in the excess fund but you say you need $500M for the next year.  You'll only get $400M.  That's just the way it works.

• 2 weeks later...