GM Details EV plan - Cadillac, GMC, Chevy, and Buick EV models on the way

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/04/gm-electric-car-plan-revealed/

The electric vehicle onslaught will begin with the Cadillac Lyriq, an electric SUV that’s already been teased out. Naming it the Lyriq is the news today. No explanation for the name was provided, so we’ll have to wait for April to learn more. GM didn’t specifically say if the Lyriq would be launched at the NY Auto Show, but that show (assuming coronavirus doesn’t cancel it) will begin on April 8 this year.

Next up in the order of events is the GMC Hummer electric truck that we know will be launching on May 20. This truck will use GM’s modular Ultium battery technology. However, the wait to buy a GMC Hummer will be a long one, as the truck isn’t going to dive into production until fall 2021 at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck plant. GM revealed that its new modular Ultium batteries can be configured anywhere from a 50 kWh pack to a 200 kWh pack depending on the application. Range is estimated to be about 400 miles on the upper end with the largest battery pack, and GM continues to boast about a 0-60 mph acceleration time of three seconds. Charging estimates for the Ultium battery-equipped Hummer EV were also provided. GM says its truck platform will have 800-volt battery packs and be capable of 350 kW fast-charging. Time estimates weren’t given, but those numbers suggest the truck will be a rapid charger.

The Hummer truck on hand, which was the same that previously starred in GMC's Super Bowl spot, showed off removable roof panels that store in the frunk, as well as what appeared to be a version of GMC's Multi-Pro tailgate. It also featured sail panels on the sides, similar to those in front of the bed of the Chevy Avalanche.

In addition to the Hummer, expect to see a couple Chevys launching. GM says the refreshed Bolt EV will be launched “in late 2020” with a refreshed interior and what appear to be thicker front seats. After the regular Bolt EV launches, we’ll see the 2022 Bolt EUV launch in summer 2021, which looks much like the standard Bolt, but with a three-inch longer wheelbase (a GM representative told us those extra inches go toward improving the rear legroom). It’ll also be equipped with Super Cruise, becoming the first non-Cadillac vehicle in GM’s lineup to ship with the semi-autonomous driving technology. GM claims that by 2023, there will be 22 cars across its brands that are equipped with Super Cruise.

Beyond that, GM had a number of representations of other future all-electric models on hand at the event — essentially clay models surrounded by mockup body panels — all intended for production, but without set launch dates. Beside the Cadillac Lyriq was a similar-sized Chevrolet crossover. Two Buicks took the stage, one a mid-sized crossover roughly the same size as the Cadillac Lyriq and aforementioned Chevy, the other a smaller crossover that looked similar in size and shape to the Chevrolet Bolt. GM showed two other truck-based EVs based on the Hummer. One was a smaller wheelbase Hummer SUV, complete with a giant, rear-mounted spare tire. The other was a Cadillac SUV, reminiscent of the Escalade, with enormous, 24-inch wheels.

Finally, GM also took the wraps off another electric Cadillac, a hand-built halo flagship sedan called the Celestiq. GM didn't give a timeline for this car, but says it is fully intended for small-scale production, representing the "ultimate luxury experience" with high levels of personalization. The Celestiq features a long sloping fast-back-like roofline, with a long wheelbase and short overhangs. The model on display boasted 23-inch wheels. Most of the interior was hidden, but images shown to attendees depicted four seats, a pillar-to-pillar front screen that made up the instrument cluster and infotainment screen, a pair of touchscreen interfaces on the rear of the front seats, as well as touchscreen controls between the left and right seats of both rows.

Cameras weren't allowed at this event, so we'll have to wait a bit longer to share any images. But with so many electrified offerings in the works from GM, we expect to see some interesting developments in fairly short order.

Someon snuck photos:

cadillac-electric-crossover-suv-based-on-modular-ev-platform_100687326_h.jpg

cadillac-electric-crossover-suv-based-on-modular-ev-platform_100687325_h.jpg

Cadillac-Lyriq-Silhouette-2.jpg

Edited by rmc523

Lyriq and Celestiq? When they said that Cadillac was bringing back model names instead of alphanumerics, I had something different in mind. But of their old model names, only Seville and Eldorado are really usable. Some reek of hoary geriatric-mobiles (Fleetwood, Deville), some of forgettable mediocrity (Allante, Catera) or of course, complete garbage (Cimarron...).  

Caddy names aside, the information was interesting. I look forward to seeing these hit the streets. Maybe Ford should crack open the door a tiny bit and give us a glimpse of what they're up to. It might give Wall Street and us fans a little more confidence in the future.

38 minutes ago, AGR said:

Maybe Ford should crack open the door a tiny bit and give us a glimpse of what they're up to. It might give Wall Street and us fans a little more confidence in the future.

Yes sir. Ford did make an announcement BEV Transit van yesterday, I started a thread on it, see below. But your suggestion is a good one. Ford needs to have an "EV day" of its own, highlighting actual BEV vehicles and technologies and timelines for their availability. Like GM's event today, Ford can enforce a no photography/no video policy if they want.

While Ford is doing some things right with electrification, its strategy to get out the ICE age and fully join the ongoing automotive industry rEVolution still leaves too much in doubt.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

A redesigned but still boring Bolt and a Hummer that’s not arriving for 2 years?

Talk about smoke and mirrors.

But, but... they have announced two Cadillac models with names that end in "q", so they've got to be great! ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

A redesigned but still boring Bolt and a Hummer that’s not arriving for 2 years?

Talk about smoke and mirrors.

There's more:

General Motors plans to spend $20 billion on electric and autonomous vehicle programs in the next five years and expects its battery costs to fall below the level that analysts say would make EVs competitive with internal-combustion vehicles.

The automaker gave previews of 10 other upcoming EVs to analysts and reporters Wednesday, including a Hummer SUV, a midsize Chevy SUV, a Buick SUV and crossover and three Cadillacs. 

GM's proprietary Ultium batteries will cost less than $100 per kilowatt-hour and allow for a driving range of up to 400 miles (640 km) on a full charge, GM said. That's about 50 percent more than the 259-mile range for the 2020 Chevrolet Bolt.The Ultium batteries have 60 percent more power than the batteries in the current Bolt, GM said. They have large-format, stackable pouch-style cells for more flexibility and optimal battery energy storage. 

The automaker aims to manufacture the batteries through its $2.3 billion joint venture with LG Chem in Ohio and could license the technology to other companies. The GMC Hummer EV, expected to go into production in fall 2021, will be the first vehicle to use the new battery technology, GM said. The Ohio battery plant will have an annual capacity of more than 30 gigawatt-hours, making it among the largest in the world, with potential for expansion, GM has said.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid at your own peril. That's a helluva lot more than smoke and mirrors.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/gm-touts-battery-cost-range-breakthroughs?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200305&utm_content=article5-readmore

Edited by Harley Lover

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Keep drinking the Kool Aid at your own peril. That's a helluva lot more than smoke and mirrors.

It's smoke and mirrors until they have actual products on the ground.   I'm not saying they aren't working on things or don't have big plans, I'm saying that the only thing tangible in the near future is a new boring Bolt that doesn't change much.   And the Hummer suv is 2 years away.  The rest is just a drawing on a planning board somewhere.    Hardly worthy of such a big PR event.

1 hour ago, falconlover 1 said:

Looks like GM is in a good position to compete in the EV market as soon as the people want to buy those EVs...  And the Cadillac propositions are promising.

They're not in a good position yet.  And we don't know how well they will execute on all those plans.   They're too far out in the future.

And to be fair, Ford is only in a slightly better position with Mach-E coming out this year and BEV F150 and Transit next year.   But you don't hear Ford making such grandiose product announcements about what they're planning to do 5 years from now.   That's the issue.

Ford also has a better backup plan with plug-in hybrids which I think will do great contrary to what some people think.

I'm not sure if you guys saw this - In related news, GM announced this morning that Cadillac will go through a bit of a soft rebranding just before its electric push. The badge will be refined into more of a slightly rounded shape at the top with a bit of a tail on the lower right side. The Cadillac script will also be revised as seen below, looking like they're going to spell it Cadillaq.

I was able to sneak a few pictures:

Kuc41LF.jpg

aTBhV8C.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, akirby said:

But you don't hear Ford making such grandiose product announcements about what they're planning to do 5 years from now.   That's the issue.

The issue is that Ford should be making those announcements, and do so soon. Lots of unanswered questions remain regarding Ford's electrification strategy. 

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The issue is that Ford should be making those announcements, and do so soon. Lots of unanswered questions remain regarding Ford's electrification strategy. 

Horse hockey.   Ford doesn't need to announce anything more than they've already announced.   Sharing all your future plans with your competitors is stupid.

5 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Why?  What do announcements have to do with anything other than stock price?  Announcing you're going to build something cool (Tesla Cybertruck) doesn't make you a market leader.

5 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Why?  What do announcements have to do with anything other than stock price?  Announcing you're going to build something cool (Tesla Cybertruck) doesn't make you a market leader.

Allows them to take deposits for vehicles 3+ years out to keep their business afloat.  Oh wait, we are talking about Ford now.. got confused.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Then we have situations like Bronco.

To anyone that actually pays attention, there aren't many questions to Ford's strategy.  Why Wall Street and Co can't see that, I don't understand.

Ford's strategy:

Hybrid everything

Plug in hybrid many models

BEV where appropriate right now.  Here's what we know about:

-Mach E

-BEV F-150

-BEV Ford midsize SUV

-BEV Lincoln midsize SUV

-BEV Transit

-BEV "Continental"

I think I missed a couple as well, and that's just what we know of.  That's 6 models right there across 2 brands.  GM showed off 9 across 4 brands, 2 of which are lightly refreshed Bolts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

I'm impressed with the GM's EV technology.  Listen to the three minute segment on today's Autoline Daily.  Go to the 3:09 mark:

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=66427

But what is impressive about it other than the reduction in cobalt and lower battery cost?   That’s good but I’m sure others are doing something similar.  The rest is no different than what everyone else is doing - skateboard chassis, etc.  And it’s one thing to say they’ll have an EV in every category and market but is that really feasible?  Outside Tesla nobody really knows what the market wants.  What if people prefer phevs?  Where will that leave GM relative to Ford?  

Nothing they said was bad, just unnecessary PR IMO.

These batteries will cost north of $200 per kWh so a 100kWh battery will be the most expensive thing in the car. Since GM is not making these batteries and AFAIK, or assembling the packs, they are completely dependent on a single third party (IMO) for the success of their EV line. IMO they are making the same mistake they always make. Instead of introducing a new product line to wow the public (as Ford did) they are bringing EV to all the brands and hoping people stick with the brands. Pick a segment to dominate and throw your best shot. That is what Ford is doing in the SUV market. Hard to see the underlying strategy here except throw enough at the wall and some will stick.

5 minutes ago, mlhm5 said:

These batteries will cost north of $200 per kWh so a 100kWh battery will be the most expensive thing in the car. Since GM is not making these batteries and AFAIK, or assembling the packs, they are completely dependent on a single third party (IMO) for the success of their EV line.

They said $100/kwh and they're making it in house via a joint venture with LG Chem in Lordstown.

If you're going to troll, at least get the facts right.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

But what is impressive about it other than the reduction in cobalt and lower battery cost?   That’s good but I’m sure others are doing something similar.  The rest is no different than what everyone else is doing - skateboard chassis, etc.  And it’s one thing to say they’ll have an EV in every category and market but is that really feasible?  Outside Tesla nobody really knows what the market wants.  What if people prefer phevs?  Where will that leave GM relative to Ford?  

My old man was an engineer and I inherited his interest in new stuff.  I'm far from being an expert on EV's, but what GM is doing impressed me.  I hope Ford gives a similar presentation when the Mach E comes out.  I'd like to see what battery tech they are using, and to learn more about their EV skateboard platform.

Personally, I think it's foolish for any manufacturer to invest so heavily in EV's at this point.  I see slow acceptance by the public.  Ford pushing PHEV's make more sense to me.  No way I'd buy an EV right now, but an Escape PHEV is currently at the top of our short list for our next vehicle.