GM Details EV plan - Cadillac, GMC, Chevy, and Buick EV models on the way

rmc523

16 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

You're on a Ford site. Don't like what you see? Leave. Plenty of Tesla sites out there. Go on YouTube, plenty of people licking Elons taint so they can get the first X, Y , model for some clicks.

Why would I go to a Tesla site? I OWN a Ford. In fact, I've been driving for 30 years, and have owned nothing but Fords. I cheer for Fords in racing. But not everything Ford does is right or best. And I do want the other American automakers to succeed, I respect the German automakers, and despise most Japanese and Korean cars (excluding most Mazdas and a few others).

Edited by AGR

3 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

The problem is what GM announced is what they announced 20 years ago, just with better batteries. GM doesn't have a good track of getting things "right".  And when they actually do that's when they kill it.

About 20 years ago, GM killed the EV1. They have learned from that blunder. What they announced on Wednesday is the complete opposite of the EV1 situation. Their commitment to BEV this time around is far reaching. Not just with specific vehicles but in executive support, technology development, and capital expenditures. If GM follows through on its promises, they are likely to remain relevant in an auto industry whose future is all electric.

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, akirby said:

Ford also has a better backup plan with plug-in hybrids which I think will do great contrary to what some people think.

Glad to hear, as that is the only thing I would accept (and pretty much everyone I know) at this point. 

Manufacturers get to meet up coming emission and MPG requirements, while customers get 95%

of the benefit of BEV, with no drawbacks, at a cheaper price. 

6 hours ago, rperez817 said:

About 20 years ago, GM killed the EV1. They have learned from that blunder. What they announced on Wednesday is the complete opposite of the EV1 situation. Their commitment to BEV this time around is far reaching. Not just with specific vehicles but in executive support, technology development, and capital expenditures. If GM follows through on its promises, they are likely to remain relevant in an auto industry whose future is all electric.

You believe everything that a company says.  A lot can change in 5 years and GM has no track record of making good decisions especially when it comes to plug in vehicles.  I do think they’re headed in the right direction like Ford.   But Ford has partners, is creating new BEVs as well as making commercially viable BEVs like F150 and Transit.  And Ford is hedging their bets with PHEVs which, contrary to your opinion, are easy to develop because they’re just drivetrains in existing vehicles.  If they take off Ford can increase production.  If not they can cut back or cancel them easily.  As opposed to GMs plan which is a Hail Mary pass for a market which is completely unknown and has already started to see slowdowns.

41 minutes ago, OX1 said:

Glad to hear, as that is the only thing I would accept (and pretty much everyone I know) at this point. 

Manufacturers get to meet up coming emission and MPG requirements, while customers get 95%

of the benefit of BEV, with no drawbacks, at a cheaper price. 

And if the goal is to reduce gas consumption then a PHEV does that well with none of the range anxiety of a BEV.

But BEV/Tesla fanatics don’t want that - they want a total ban on ICE which just isn’t feasible yet.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:02 AM, akirby said:

GM has no track record of making good decisions especially when it comes to plug in vehicles. 

Yes sir, and Ford's track record is even worse than GM's in that regard. Consumers and investors are justified for being skeptical that either GM or Ford are serious about BEV. Both companies, along with other incumbent automakers, have long given the impression they're milking ICE vehicles as long as they can.

GM's "EV Day" addressed questions about their BEV strategy, and also demonstrated how GM's company culture has shifted to support their involvement in the automotive industry rEVolution. As mentioned earlier, Ford needs to do a similar event soon.

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, and Ford's track record is even worse than GM's in that regard. Consumers and investors are justified for being skeptical that either GM or Ford are serious about BEV. Both companies, along with other incumbent automakers, have long given the impression they're milking ICE vehicles as long as they can.

GM's "EV Day" addressed questions about their BEV strategy, and also demonstrated how GM's company culture has shifted to support their involvement in the automotive industry rEVolution. As mentioned earlier, Ford needs to do a similar event soon.

They really don't.

As has been pointed out multiple times, Ford has just as many coming out.

• 4 months later...

I own the Bolt, GM did a 'good' job but it is far from a Tesla.  Although they did get the Mileage good and WAY before GM or any other maker got it.  And I bought one :( I got the one manufactured on a Friday before a 5 day holiday.  It has ALL the issues they have with this thing and they are NOT standing behind it.

I gave up my '06 F350 Diesel for it and wish I had just traded for another F350 Gasser instead.

Don't get me wrong, I Love my EV for what it is and the Bolt is Huge inside with that tall hatch.  You wouldn't believe what I have crammed in there !  But I just can't stand the issues they can't fix.... not to mention their Service Dept never want to work on something that is Warranty and they make no money on.

IF Ford had actually Made a decent EV I would have bought one but they didn't because I don't think they are really serious about it

2 hours ago, Lin19687 said:

IF Ford had actually Made a decent EV I would have bought one but they didn't because I don't think they are really serious about it

They weren’t serious because there was no profit to be made.  Bolt was only built for compliance.  Tesla still hasn’t turned a profit on vehicle sales.  We’ve just now reached the point where EVs can be sold in volume at prices that will generate a little profit.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Bolt was only built for compliance. 

I do not think this is true at all since they had the EV1 in the '90's, they could have kept up with the Volt only if they wanted to.  They were serious enough to get the longest distance out (not including tesla AND before M3 from them also without a 'reservation').  They just suck at QC on their stuff and their Service dept wants to make money off all those gassers, they can't on the EV's till out of warranty