No Reserve II option on 2020 MKZ?

41 minutes ago, Ralph Greene said:

It seems to me...although Ford says no more sedans.....the design of their crossovers and CUV's, SUV's, etc....look a little like tall sedans....just not called that. The styles are merging. 

12 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

With the Corsair, I certainly agree..... It's pretty low...seems way lower than our Nautilus.

Hi gang. Yes, except they do not look like tall sedans. They are tall station wagons. That is what CUV and SUV's are. They are essentially tall station wagons with more ground clearance and AWD/4WD in some cases.

Sorry if it seems like nitpicking, but sedans have a separate trunk (not a hatch), along with other obvious/overall shape and "tophat"/window differences.

I admit they have their advantages for those who need or like them them. And most are still attractive vehicles. Just not attractive enough for me.

Being a kid in the 60's and riding around in a station wagon was fun. Now I don't ride in the way-back anymore, and I like the style/looks, comfort and handling of a sedan or even a coupe. I simply wish Lincoln/Ford were not getting rid of all cars/sedans (excluding Mustang).

And I get the whole ATP/profit margin thing. But like all fads and cycles (see station wagons long ago, or minivans more recently), I believe it will come back around to hurt Lincoln/Ford. And this is from a dedicated, lifelong Ford/Lincoln owner and fan (literally).

Okay, personal CUV/SUV rant off. ??

Good luck.

• Like 1

I am really upset about Lincoln's decision to abandon their sedans.

I have leased luxury brands for many decades.  Cadillac, Acura, and Lincoln.  

The Lincoln brand was my final stop.  They weren't the most luxurious vehicles (I think they skimp a bit on materials), but I did feel that when buying/leasing a Lincoln you were getting the best bang for the buck.

The Lincoln ride is also very, very smooth.

I was particularly attracted to Hybrids.   They were a big change for me.  I used to like powerful vehicles.  My first Lincoln was an MKX.  Loved the horsepower.

However, when my brother got his first Honda hybrid and started boasting about the gas mileage he was getting, I became curious.

When I leased my 2019 MKZ Hybrid, I fell in love.  Just not having to pay for all that gas was a Godsend.  Now being retired, I didn't miss the powerful engine.  I was surprised at how much "pep" the car had.

So, now I am contemplating what I will be leasing in two years.  I don't want to get into an expensive SUV hybrid with lower gas mileage.  I also don't want to leave the Lincoln brand.  However, I feel as if my hand is kind of forced here.

I have another two years.  We will see what Lincoln announces by then.

• Like 1

Just now, NJRonbo said:

I am really upset about Lincoln's decision to abandon their sedans.

I have leased luxury brands for many decades.  Cadillac, Acura, and Lincoln.  

The Lincoln brand was my final stop.  They weren't the most luxurious vehicles (I think they skimp a bit on materials), but I did feel that when buying/leasing a Lincoln you were getting the best bang for the buck.

The Lincoln ride is also very, very smooth.

I was particularly attracted to Hybrids.   They were a big change for me.  I used to like powerful vehicles.  My first Lincoln was an MKX.  Loved the horsepower.

However, when my brother got his first Honda hybrid and started boasting about the gas mileage he was getting, I became curious.

When I leased my 2019 MKZ Hybrid, I fell in love.  Just not having to pay for all that gas was a Godsend.  Now being retired, I didn't miss the powerful engine.  I was surprised at how much "pep" the car had.

So, now I am contemplating what I will be leasing in two years.  I don't want to get into an expensive SUV hybrid with lower gas mileage.  I also don't want to leave the Lincoln brand.  However, I feel as if my hand is kind of forced here.

I have another two years.  We will see what Lincoln announces by then.

Look at Escape and Corsair hybrid and phevs for what to expect down the road.  Aviator GT and Explorer hybrid are not built for fuel economy.

A Nautilus hybrid or phev (next gen) might be just the ticket.  

Akirby,

I have not checked Lincoln yet to price it out...

However, isn't the Nautilus more of an SUV/Crossover?

Even as a hybrid, those vehicles don't get the gas mileage a sedan does.

Something also tells me I am going to end up paying $10k more for the same trim in a Nautilus than I would in an MKZ.

Of course, I have to compare --- and I still have two years to do so -- but at this moment it seems like a more expensive/less MPG option.

Appreciate your suggestion, tho

13 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Akirby,

I have not checked Lincoln yet to price it out...

However, isn't the Nautilus more of an SUV/Crossover?

Even as a hybrid, those vehicles don't get the gas mileage a sedan does.

Something also tells me I am going to end up paying $10k more for the same trim in a Nautilus than I would in an MKZ.

Of course, I have to compare --- and I still have two years to do so -- but at this moment it seems like a more expensive/less MPG option.

Appreciate your suggestion, tho

Yes it’s a CUV but you probably won’t be giving up that much in fuel economy.  For comparison your MKZ hybrid is 42/39 while the new  Escape hybrid is  44/37.  Nautilus is bigger and heavier but I suspect it will be in the same ballpark since it’s built on the same platform as Escape.

The point was don’t go by Aviator or Explorer as those aren’t designed for mpg.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Yes it’s a CUV but you probably won’t be giving up that much in fuel economy.  For comparison your MKZ hybrid is 42/39 while the new  Escape hybrid is  44/37.  Nautilus is bigger and heavier but I suspect it will be in the same ballpark since it’s built on the same platform as Escape.

The point was don’t go by Aviator or Explorer as those aren’t designed for mpg.

Didn't know that. Not a big difference at all!

Is there a Nautilus Hybrid now?  I was just on Lincoln's site, building one for fun, and I did not see a hybrid option.

1 minute ago, NJRonbo said:

Didn't know that. Not a big difference at all!

Is there a Nautilus Hybrid now?  I was just on Lincoln's site, building one for fun, and I did not see a hybrid option.

Not the current Nautilus, next gen due in a couple more years.

NJRonbo, since you love your MKZ hybrid lease so much, have you considered buying it out at the end of your lease rather than leasing something new? Or going for a 2-year old 2020 MKZ hybrid when your lease is up as a certified pre-owned purchase? Either way will keep you in a car you love, save some money, and give you a couple more years to see what else might be out there for you longer term. My guess is that at some point we'll see a sedan back at Lincoln, though it will likely be an all-electric.

Hi Gurgeh!

I could do that.  It's something I will think about.

The two reasons I lease is because one, I can get into a luxury vehicle for less.  Second, I can get a brand-new vehicle with new technology every 3 years.

I still have two years left on my current lease so there's a lot that can happen at that time.

Also looking at a Tesla.  They have become much more affordable.

On 3/10/2020 at 3:22 AM, NJRonbo said:

Hi Gurgeh!

The two reasons I lease is because one, I can get into a luxury vehicle for less.  Second, I can get a brand-new vehicle with new technology every 3 years.

I still have two years left on my current lease so there's a lot that can happen at that time.

Whatever you do, don't sit in a Black Label interior and then go look at Teslas. The Tesla will look like crap compared to the Black Label and then you will definitely have a lower opinion of Teslas..... Although with the Tesla you can play video games on that huge screen so there is that ?

• 3 weeks later...

BMW announced last week that their Series 3 for 2021 will be a hybrid and/or all-electric

The starting price, I believe was $34k, which is a little less than the current MKZ.

If all this holds true, that might be where I will migrate to.

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

BMW announced last week that their Series 3 for 2021 will be a hybrid and/or all-electric

The starting price, I believe was $34k, which is a little less than the current MKZ.

If all this holds true, that might be where I will migrate to.

You may be referring to 2021 BMW 330e NJRonbo sir. It is a PHEV. Here is the press release for that car. Starting price in the U.S. market is $45,545 with RWD and $47,545 with AWD.

https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3576&mid=

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

You may be referring to 2021 BMW 330e NJRonbo sir. It is a PHEV. Here is the press release for that car. Starting price in the U.S. market is $45,545 with RWD and $47,545 with AWD.

https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=3576&mid=

Apologies.  Looks like I too quickly glanced at the information when I had first seen it. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, Lincoln sent out a survey about my current vehicle, the 2019 MKZ Hybrid.

I essentially told them that if they were canceling their sedans I would not be buying another vehicle from them.

I still have two years left on this lease so anything can happen and perhaps Lincoln will see the error in their ways.

However, I have been on the BMW site many times building my dream 330e and I'm ready to make that switch if I need to.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:04 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Ron. You are very welcome. And I feel the same way. I do not want a CUV, SUV or truck. I am a car person.

I have owned only new Fords and Lincolns since my first new car, a 1976 Ford Elite.  And I currently own a 2018 MKZ Reserve 3.0T AWD. And I already had my share of Mustang GT's when I was younger...6 of them...so I do not want my neighbors thinking I am having a mid-life crisis. ?

So if Ford does not change its plans sometime in the next few years, they will likely be losing a customer. And for personal reasons and brand loyalty, it would be a very tough decision that would bother me. Ford needs to understand that they may/will lose a lot more customers who want a car and do not even have that personal connection or brand loyalty and.

And yes, I know all the discussions about how band loyalty is not the factor it used to be. And that is true. However, brand loyalty still exists. But it can be broken if a brand sells nothing that you want.

Save the replies (you know who you are ?? ), because yeah, yeah, yeah...ATP's and blah, blah, blah etc. But I want a car...lolololololol.

Okay...personal ramble finished. ?

Good luck. ?

I feel the same way about sedans.  I know lots of people have moved away from sedans.  I am not one of them.

I’m currently on my fifth consecutive new Lincoln—all (but one) have been Lincoln sedans.  The one exception was a 2016 MKC, which I acknowledge I did like (primarily because its higher seat-height made Darling Wife happy), but I was very happy to go back to an MKZh sedan at the end of the 3-year lease on the MKC.

I am buying (still paying for) my 2019 MKZh (got it the weekend before Christmas in 2018), so I don’t have the “my lease is ending so I have to find something else now” problem (if you can call that a problem! ?).  It does increase my flexibility in terms of when I decide to get my next vehicle.

If, by then, Lincoln hasn’t changed its mind and started making a sedan I want, then I acknowledge I would consider either a Corsair or a Nautilus.  But I’d rather have a car....

Edited by 1984Poke

On 3/6/2020 at 4:34 AM, NJRonbo said:

I used to drive an MKX crossover.  Really liked it.

However, here is the problem...

The crossovers are more expensive than sedans.   

Secondly, I want a hybrid luxury vehicle.  Lincoln was one of the few luxury companies not charging extra for a hybrid model.

I have two more years to figure this out.  Lincoln may have something in the pipeline by then, and of course more manufacturers are putting hybrid and electric vehicles at the top of their list.

NJRonbo—

The opportunity to get a very nice hybrid Lincoln without paying a premium for trying out a hybrid  (as with my leased 2013 MKZh—and my experience with that car is why I now have a 2019 MKZh that I am purchasing) was the deciding factor in convincing me to try a hybrid 7 years ago (May 2013).

I love my 2019 MKZh Reserve II and, at present, have no intention of not getting a hybrid-type vehicle for my next vehicle.  (Not sure when that will happen!)

Good luck to you!

On 3/10/2020 at 5:22 AM, NJRonbo said:

Hi Gurgeh!

Gurgeh’s advice is good, in my view, NJRonbo.  I realize you have added the BMW option to the list of things you’re considering but if you’re at all open to the idea of staying with an MKZh for a while, I’d strongly consider what he recommended.

Speaking (well, writing) as one who leased his last two vehicles (‘13 MKZh and ‘16  MKC) and is now purchasing his current vehicle (‘19 MKZh), I’ve had very recent experience with both buying and leasing.  

Like you, I really liked getting (and having a built-in excuse for getting!) a new vehicle every three years AND I liked the chance that leasing makes possible to get the latest technology every three years, so I do “get” the advantages that leasing provides—but, as with everything, there are trade offs.

If you choose to buy your current 2019 MKZh at the end of its lease, owning that car will give you a “known quantity” (a vehicle you’ve come to know and, I hope, trust) and—perhaps most importantly—time on your own schedule/your own timetable to jump back into the new-vehicle market at a time of YOUR choosing, without being forced to pick from whatever is available at the end of your lease period—plus you would have some equity/some value in the MKZh you own that should help ease the $ pain of that next vehicle decision.

If you decide the BMW is the right move for you, that’s great—good for you.  If not, don’t discount what Gurgeh suggested due to the flexibility it would give you.  Good luck!

Edited by 1984Poke
edited for clarity
  • Like 1