Aviator Running Boards

Well when I ordered my 2020 Aviator running boards wasn’t available. It has been a struggle for both of us (wife & I) to enter and exit our Reserve II trimmed ride. I did order it with the Air Glide Suspension with Dynamic Lower Entry option but that feature is limited to functioning

from start up only. For instance if you were running a errand and you needed to get out for a quick moment then jump back in without shutting the vehicle off the height of the SUV wold stay up. At this point I would struggle t re-enter the vehicle as the driver or if my passenger entered after I started the vehicle which often is the case when my wife rides with me the vehicle would be in the high position - it made quick stops difficult on the egress/engress for short legged folks like we are. 

Finally as of early March the OEM running boards became available so I ordered them. What a difference in getting and getting out of the vehicle - I’m so glad I made the investment to add these. They been on my Aviator for three days at this write and it is so much easier to get in (and out)of the vehicle! Plus they enhance the look of the Aviator as well.

45288613-EF83-458C-BB5B-8B79BD952473.jpeg

01890E30-480F-42A3-9BC6-B29D06D8C9B2.jpeg

E3224611-221E-4B39-8A85-AB6203A375CC.jpeg

1BF5E267-DF33-4AF1-964C-F7039B6EA8C0.jpeg

F3974F67-2236-48BC-A600-722680C3C0C5.jpeg

D54C93FF-014F-41A5-8C50-F7DEB947B150.jpeg

E11292CE-313F-48E2-8119-7B7F2B852079.jpeg

• Like 1

I ordered the running boards and they were just delivered. They came with instructions and hardware.  There are three mounting brackets already installed on each board.  Each bracket requires three bolts, so nine bolts per side.  There are existing frame slots and tabs to clip on nine Spring (U) Nuts per side.  Then there's a numbered torque sequence for tightening the bolts.  That's it!!!

Edited by CoolScoop

On 3/18/2020 at 2:42 PM, CoolScoop said:

I ordered the running boards and they were just delivered. They came with instructions and hardware.  There are three mounting brackets already installed on each board.  Each bracket requires three bolts, so nine bolts per side.  There are existing frame slots d tabs to clip on nine Spring (U) Nuts per side.  Then there's a numbered torque sequence for tightening the bolts.  That's it!!!

PICS please, I'm thinking about them, just want to see them on GT trim.  How are you liking yours?

3 hours ago, mustangchief said:

PICS please, I'm thinking about them, just want to see them on GT trim.  How are you liking yours?

Still in the box... not sure when I'll get a chance to install them with everything going on right now, but will post pics when I do.  The plastic is VERY thick with a rough texture, so they look to be extremely durable.  My wife is vertically challenged and her seat setting is all the way up, plus she doesn't give the air suspension enough time to lower. The boards will also protect the lower parts of the doors and door seals. 

10 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I'd love to see how they look on a GT with the black lower molding vs chrome on regular Aviator.  Although if you have the air suspension you'd be buying them mostly for looks because it kneels down a decent 2" or so (if you wait the 10 seconds for it to drop) making for very easy entry/exit. 

On 3/20/2020 at 5:43 PM, rampagex7 said:

I'd love to see how they look on a GT with the black lower molding vs chrome on regular Aviator.  Although if you have the air suspension you'd be buying them mostly for looks because it kneels down a decent 2" or so (if you wait the 10 seconds for it to drop) making for very easy entry/exit. 

As someone else pointed out, it doesn't kneel with the engine running. If you needed to get and and back in while the engine is running, the suspension would be at drive height.

I ordered the running boards for several reasons.  My wife is vertically challenged and her seat height setting is all the way up... and as mentioned above the suspension doesn't lower when it's running and the delay is too long after it's turned off.  The running boards will also help protect and keep clean the underside of the doors/rockers and the bottom door seals, even better than the splash guards would.  The styling and textured flat black finish should look good with any model Aviator.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

I ordered the running boards for several reasons.  My wife is vertically challenged and her seat height setting is all the way up... and as mentioned above the suspension doesn't lower when it's running and the delay is too long after it's turned off.  The running boards will also help protect and keep clean the underside of the doors/rockers and the bottom door seals, even better than the splash guards would.  The styling and textured flat black finish should look good with any model Aviator.

I put a set on the 17 Explorer I used to have. I got them from Dee Zee and were a direct bolt on that took me about an hour and a half to install. I'm thinking about getting another Explorer and would add them again if they fit. At this time, Dee Zee doesn't offer them for the new Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

Separate but related question: did you guys use accessories.lincoln.com or parts.ford.com to order your splash guards and running boards? I ask because it looks like parts.ford offers better pricing for the parts (but says nothing about installation services). I'm considering purchasing the guards, running boards, and floor liner for the 3rd row and cargo area.

Thanks, as always.

On 4/7/2020 at 5:49 PM, AUPilot08 said:

Separate but related question: did you guys use accessories.lincoln.com or parts.ford.com to order your splash guards and running boards? I ask because it looks like parts.ford offers better pricing for the parts (but says nothing about installation services). I'm considering purchasing the guards, running boards, and floor liner for the 3rd row and cargo area.

Thanks, as always.

I shopped around online for the best delivered price to my area for the running boards.  I haven't had time to install them but it's super easy... push on nine spring (U clip) nuts on each side and bolt them on.  The various tabs and slots for the spring nuts are already there... no drilling or alignment required.  I believe someone said the splash guards require drilling.

Edited by CoolScoop

12 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

I shopped around online for the best delivered price to my area for the running boards.  I haven't had time to install them but it's super easy... push on nine spring (U clip) nuts on each side and bolt them on.  The various tabs and slots for the spring nuts are already there... no drilling or alignment required.  I believe someone said the splash guards require drilling.

Cool. Thanks.

Running boards are on backorder so I'm putting them aside for now. Going to go ahead with everything else. Dealers say they're still getting shipments of parts but everything is super slow so it may take awhile to get the parts in even though the system shows availability of 1-3  days. 

• 1 month later...

How do you like the running boards?   Think I need them as well for my vertically challenged wife at 4"11".  Question do you anticipate the dirty pants issue you sometimes get with running boards if you step over them getting out of the vehicle?

Edited by Wolfepack88

On 3/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, big_dude_nepa said:

Well when I ordered my 2020 Aviator running boards wasn’t available. It has been a struggle for both of us (wife & I) to enter and exit our Reserve II trimmed ride. I did order it with the Air Glide Suspension with Dynamic Lower Entry option but that feature is limited to functioning

from start up only. For instance if you were running a errand and you needed to get out for a quick moment then jump back in without shutting the vehicle off the height of the SUV wold stay up. At this point I would struggle t re-enter the vehicle as the driver or if my passenger entered after I started the vehicle which often is the case when my wife rides with me the vehicle would be in the high position - it made quick stops difficult on the egress/engress for short legged folks like we are. 

Finally as of early March the OEM running boards became available so I ordered them. What a difference in getting and getting out of the vehicle - I’m so glad I made the investment to add these. They been on my Aviator for three days at this write and it is so much easier to get in (and out)of the vehicle! Plus they enhance the look of the Aviator as well.

45288613-EF83-458C-BB5B-8B79BD952473.jpeg

01890E30-480F-42A3-9BC6-B29D06D8C9B2.jpeg

E3224611-221E-4B39-8A85-AB6203A375CC.jpeg

1BF5E267-DF33-4AF1-964C-F7039B6EA8C0.jpeg

F3974F67-2236-48BC-A600-722680C3C0C5.jpeg

D54C93FF-014F-41A5-8C50-F7DEB947B150.jpeg

E11292CE-313F-48E2-8119-7B7F2B852079.jpeg

LOOK A  RED ONE! WOWWWWW....  Everyone I have seen posting pictures on here has a white one, I bought white on a split second last-minute decision I was going to get Diamon Blue...  I like the white just everyone has a white one and tons of white cars in my neighborhood, I wish I would have got the blue now...

• 11 months later...
On 4/13/2020 at 6:59 AM, CoolScoop said:

The cheapest place I found for the running boards is Lasco parts. $1077.23 all in and $145.53 per pair for the mud flaps. The mud flaps require drilling 1 hole on the rear flaps. I bought a small right angle drill attachment and some stubby bits for this purpose. There's a good tutorial video on YouTube showing both front and rear installation.

Like most Ford fixed steps/running boards, it looks to me that they are very tight to the rocker panel requiring dexterity to safely use them for entry and exit.  Even using the running board to enter/exit, you'd probably want to use a grab handle too.  The handle above the door is semi-awkward to use.  If I were asked, I would have placed the grab handle on the A-pillar.

Using a front seat passenger for illustration; it is far easier to grasp a grab bar on the A-pillar with your right hand and lift up your butt over the seat edge than it is to reach above the center of the door opening where, regardless of which hand you use, your arm has to twist oddly.  More or less the same on exit...unless you just slide off the seat edge