2021 Genesis G80 Revealed

rmc523

Pricing starts at $48,900 loaded with standard features.  Wow!!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/genesis-announces-pricing-gv80-competition-143001753.html

"

Genesis doesn’t skimp on standard features to get to that low base price, either. Right out of the gates, the GV80 comes with adaptive cruise control, automatic emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection, blind-spot monitoring, front and rear parking sensors, rain-sensing wipers, keyless access and a hands-free rear liftgate.

Standard interior amenities include heated front seats with memory, a telescoping power-tilt steering column, an auto-dimming rearview mirror, 10 airbags and adjustable interior ambient lighting. The GV80’s standard tech is notable, too, with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto on a 14.5-inch infotainment display, an 8-inch instrument cluster display with analog gauges and a 12-speaker premium audio system with HD and satellite radio. If you’re wondering if a base GLE-Class comes that well-equipped, it doesn’t."

Edited by blwnsmoke

8 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Looks quite nice.  Side profile looks just like an A7.

That’s the vibe I get too. Other than the grill it looks pretty good. You think those side marker lights will make it into production?  I’m not a big fan of the set back screen. I would like it to be closer in proximity to the driver.

Hyundai has been very aggressive in their design and tech features, and the probability of me ever buying one is close to zero, but based on the numbers of them I’m seeing on the road there are plenty of people who are buying them.

I have much respect for them as a competitor. 

Looks very Jaguarish to me (not a bad thing).

31 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Ok, it's nice.  But SUV and CUV's are where the market is.  Why expend all this money developing a nice car that won't give a good return on investment??

Did they hire Johan?

41 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I like it.  A lot.  They will sell dozens of them.

Ok, it's nice.  But SUV and CUV's are where the market is.  Why expend all this money developing a nice car that won't give a good return on investment??

Cuv and suv are not exactly holding value either....trucks will to an extent but i have seen 2 year old models that were near 70kmsrp with under 5k miles ask 40k...no new vehicle is an investment..they are all money losers...

5 minutes ago, snooter said:

Cuv and suv are not exactly holding value either....trucks will to an extent but i have seen 2 year old models that were near 70kmsrp with under 5k miles ask 40k...no new vehicle is an investment..they are all money losers...

70k MSRP translates to $60k Street price or less so $40k is 33% depreciation.  Not terrible after 2 years.  But I’ve seen much higher prices than that.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 10:31 PM, 92merc said:

Why expend all this money developing a nice car that won't give a good return on investment??

To build the Genesis brand in a way that ensures it remains relevant.

In the luxury car market, there are 2 tiers. Tier 1 includes the brands the command respect. Tier 2 brands desperately want respect. Genesis is currently Tier 2. A necessary condition to get it up to Tier 1 is to offer luxury sedans as good or better than the Tier 1 brands. That's what Genesis is doing with new G80.

9 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

To build the Genesis brand in a way that ensures it remains relevant.

In the luxury car market, there are 2 tiers. Tier 1 includes the brands the command respect. Tier 2 brands desperately want respect. Genesis is currently Tier 2. A necessary condition to get it up to Tier 1 is to offer luxury sedans as good or better than the Tier 1 brands. That's what Genesis is doing with new G80.

In other words - the Cadillac model.  That worked great for them, eh?

12 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

necessary condition to get it up to Tier 1 is to offer luxury sedans as good or better than the Tier 1 brands. That's what Genesis is doing with new G80.

Has this proven to be as good or better yet?  It very well could be, but the brand name means a lot in the Luxury market. 

Another aspect is time. It will take time to eliminate people’s recollection of Genesis’ plebeian roots. It’s only a short moment ago it was the Hyundai Genesis. 

A Mercedes is a Mercedes, it didn’t originate from a lesser brand, and has been around for nearly a century, which IMO is why it carries so much weight. 

In today’s day and age with people so easily swayed by celebrity endorsements and social media, perhaps Genesis can accelerate that curve. 

9 minutes ago, tbone said:

Has this proven to be as good or better yet?  It very well could be, but the brand name means a lot in the Luxury market. 

Another aspect is time. It will take time to eliminate people’s recollection of Genesis’ plebeian roots. It’s only a short moment ago it was the Hyundai Genesis. 

A Mercedes is a Mercedes, it didn’t originate from a lesser brand, and has been around for nearly a century, which IMO is why it carries so much weight. 

In today’s day and age with people so easily swayed by celebrity endorsements and social media, perhaps Genesis can accelerate that curve. 

Lexus is the best recent example where a luxury brand started from Scratch and was successful.   But whether you "need" a luxury sedan to be considered an elite luxury brand is still up for debate.   Utilities are obviously better sellers and better profit generators and are now just as respected as cars used to be.

Hyundai doesn't seem to care too much about profit margins right now based on Telluride.  So maybe it will work out for them.  At least they do have a Genesis SUV or two on the way.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir, the model Cadillac pioneered in 1905 and was later used by all other global luxury car brands: build brand reputation by building a better car.

Not that - the more recent one where they tried to build ever luxury car model known to man while ignoring utilities.