Compact truck shown to dealers

40 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/403025/ford-smaller-cheaper-truck-shown/

anyone have any inside info on this? Article mentions the dealers like it so that’s promising. Ford is expecting to sell 100k a year.

Not much else to offer then what the article states-though its actually will built on the Transit Connect platform, which is a LWB Focus platform. That also means that the TC will be built in the New World vs importing them from Spain or Turkey (forget which one it is now)

Not sure how they are equating this as a replacement for the Focus and Fiesta-that was the Ecosport?! Its an entry level Pickup, not a passenger car or CUV. 

My "friend of a friend" in Ford mid-level management had mentioned that there was a new "white space" (i.e. a niche of the auto marker had no current product) was coming after 2022.  No other hints, so perhaps this is it ?

I think a slightly larger Connect would sell well in the US.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Not sure how they are equating this as a replacement for the Focus and Fiesta-that was the Ecosport?! Its an entry level Pickup, not a passenger car or CUV. 

An article I read elsewhere stated that Ford intend to price this "below $20,000 msrp" to start, so supposedly that would place it into the entry level realm price-wise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harley Lover said:

An article I read elsewhere stated that Ford intend to price this "below $20,000 msrp" to start, so supposedly that would place it into the entry level realm price-wise.

The Ecosport starts at $19K also and is a smaller product (B class)

The Pickup will be roughly the size of a Transit Connect. 

Guess we will see...

I’m wondering about the design. Is it going to look like a smaller ranger or f150? The article mentioned they were considering the courier or ranchero name. Ranchero being mentioned makes me think this might not have the traditional truck styling to it. 

I hope they get the name right...Courier is NOT a good name. Ranchero is much cooler and better for sales. 

I've said this before, I also believe for the upcoming Bronco pickup (Gladiator Fighter), Bronco Sport Trac is a perfect name...

Bronco 
Bronco Sport Trac (Pickup)
Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) 

Goes well with Ford's history of SUV's and SUT's...
Explorer
Explorer Sport Trac (Pickup)
Explorer Sport (2-door)

54 minutes ago, zipzoomflyfast said:

I hope they get the name right...Courier is NOT a good name. Ranchero is much cooler and better for sales. 

I've said this before, I also believe for the upcoming Bronco pickup (Gladiator Fighter), Bronco Sport Trac is a perfect name...

Bronco 
Bronco Sport Trac (Pickup)
Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) 

Goes well with Ford's history of SUV's and SUT's...
Explorer
Explorer Sport Trac (Pickup)
Explorer Sport (2-door)

They've shot themselves in the food, IMO, with the using of Bronco Sport.

I think it'd be a mistake to call the Bronco-based truck "Bronco Sport Trac" with the smaller model being Bronco Sport.  It's just going to cause unnecessary confusion.

I think Bronco Sport Trac would've been a perfect name for the truck, but not with Bronco Sport below it being a different model.

• Like 2

Unless the Bronco PU is based on the sport?  We've been saying ford should make a unibody truck for awhile.  

I do think it would be a problem however, if the Bronco Truck was less capable than the Gladiator, even if that was by design. I don't think that would be a good look.

3 minutes ago, probowler said:

Unless the Bronco PU is based on the sport?  We've been saying ford should make a unibody truck for awhile.  

I do think it would be a problem however, if the Bronco Truck was less capable than the Gladiator, even if that was by design. I don't think that would be a good look.

Bronco Sport-Escape platform/C sized

Compact Pickup-Transit Connect unibody/C-sized Long wheel base Escape/Bronco Sport/Focus platform

I'm going to assume the Compact pickup looks alot like the Bronco Sport from the A pillar forward. 

Still not sold on a "full sized" Bronco Pickup yet...but I'm willing to see what they can do with it. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Bronco Sport-Escape platform/C sized

Compact Pickup-Transit Connect unibody/C-sized Long wheel base Escape/Bronco Sport/Focus platform

I'm going to assume the Compact pickup looks alot like the Bronco Sport from the A pillar forward. 

Still not sold on a "full sized" Bronco Pickup yet...but I'm willing to see what they can do with it. 

A Bronco sport-based pickup (instead of big Bronco-based) would certainly avoid the Ranger overlap issue.

5 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I’m wondering about the design. Is it going to look like a smaller ranger or f150? The article mentioned they were considering the courier or ranchero name. Ranchero being mentioned makes me think this might not have the traditional truck styling to it. 

Unnamed dealers quoted in the article I cited earlier said the truck looked like an original Ranger in profile, FWTW. Not sure I trust dealer principles to really know what they're looking at, but that's another story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Gee, nothing like sabotaging Ranger sales!

Well, that's what some here used to say about the Ranger and the F150... and yet here we are. F150 is still kicking ass and the Ranger is just a refresh away from coming into its own.

I find it odd how much trouble ford is going through to hide the roof on this new truck. I doubt they're hiding anything special or particularly interesting, just something I noticed.

5 minutes ago, probowler said:

Well, that's what some here used to say about the Ranger and the F150... and yet here we are. F150 is still kicking ass and the Ranger is just a refresh away from coming into its own.

I find it odd how much trouble ford is going through to hide the roof on this new truck. I doubt they're hiding anything special or particularly interesting, just something I noticed.

It just throws out your perception of the rest of the vehicle 

21 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Exactly. The Gladiator isn’t doing that hot sales wise. Ford needs to focus on their bread and butter midsized Ranger and get the refresh right before they worry about a Bronco pickup.

This isn’t a Bronco pickup.  It’s a Transit Connect pickup.  Unibody and smaller than a Ranger.  Think Ridgeline only smaller.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, akirby said:

This isn’t a Bronco pickup.  It’s a Transit Connect pickup.  Unibody and smaller than a Ranger.  Think Ridgeline only smaller.

We have a Transit Connect in our fleet, and, man, is that thing tiny. It could almost fit inside the cabin of one of our Transits. 

If the truck is anywhere close to the size of the TC, Courier would be appropriate, as it'll be about the same size as the old Courier.

• Like 4