Compact truck shown to dealers

13 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Soul is "cute" and doesn't look cheap and had an effective advertising campaign for it. The Versa and the like are just boring and cheap...though the Chevy Spark I had as a rental wasn't actually half bad besides being too small for me. 

They ruined the Soul with its most recent redesign, IMO.  It used to be a good looking quirky/different.  Now it just changed to ugly quirky/different.

10 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

I'm actually surprised that Ford hasn't been selling the midsize Transit Custom here to fill as middle slot between TC and T. Not sure the Transit Custom name would work out here but could find something that works. I can't wait and see what Ford has planned for next generation TC van and the new pickup. I think Courier name would be better for this one however the Ranchero would be more recognized name though.

That space between Transit and Transit Connect has proven to be very small 

I think the current player in that segment  is about 300/MTH tops.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

That space between Transit and Transit Connect has proven to be very small 

I think the current player in that segment  is about 300/MTH tops.

From what I was able to find, Metris (I assume that's the model you're talking about) averaged around 977 sales a month in 2019.

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

But didn't the trucklet have a CUV counterpart that was separate from Bronco Sport?   I don't think it will share styling with BS.

Exactly. I was expecting this CX758 to be the affordable nameplate, quickly approved, we have discussed elsewhere here.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

From what I was able to find, Metris (I assume that's the model you're talking about) averaged around 977 sales a month in 2019.

Ok was factually wrong but you can se the drop in monthly sales between TC-Metris-Transit and probably why Ford is not chasing that segment with Transit Custom, maybe just cannibalise existing Transit sales?

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was out by the King Ranch in TX a few weeks ago-a whole bunch of nothing out there for the most part. 

They do a lot to protect that “whole bunch of nothing.” A friend of mine did some training out there, and he said the cowboys at the gate houses have belt-fed  HK machineguns, and they know how to use them. 

1 minute ago, SoonerLS said:

They do a lot to protect that “whole bunch of nothing.” A friend of mine did some training out there, and he said the cowboys at the gate houses have belt-fed  HK machineguns, and they know how to use them. 

I was at the Navy Base out there that they train Pilots at...most military posts are in the middle of no where :) 

Cattle rustling is real business lol 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I was at the Navy Base out there that they train Pilots at...most military posts are in the middle of no where :) 

Cattle rustling is real business lol 

I wish I could convince those cowboys that the stupid squirrel that keeps setting off my security cameras was a rustler...

Introduce the NG Ranger as Ranger F-100 and this new truck as the new Ranger Sport. It will be closer to the '83 truck in size.

I know this wouldn't happen and might confuse people about names; but the presidence was set with the 2008 Five Hundred being renamed Taurus.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Introduce the NG Ranger as Ranger F-100 and this new truck as the new Ranger Sport. It will be closer to the '83 truck in size.

I know this wouldn't happen and might confuse people about names; but the presidence was set with the 2008 Five Hundred being renamed Taurus.

I ADORE the old F-100s.... Look how successful the Challenger still is.... despite having to be bigger, heavier, and laden with modern day safety features... it still nails the retro vibe and is incredibly successful for it, even despite minimal updates and an outdated platform.

2017-f-100-supernationals-60.jpg

I would love if Ford made a retro-styled truck!

1 hour ago, probowler said:

I ADORE the old F-100s.... Look how successful the Challenger still is.... despite having to be bigger, heavier, and laden with modern day safety features... it still nails the retro vibe and is incredibly successful for it, even despite minimal updates and an outdated platform.

2017-f-100-supernationals-60.jpg

I would love if Ford made a retro-styled truck!

I've been looking for one of those.  Love how those look.

12 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

There are some pictures of a customized black '54 over on Ford Authority...very expensive though.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/03/1954-ford-f-100-hot-rod-for-sale-for-95500/

Oh yeah, that's way out of my price range.  I've actually found a few in good condition that I could afford, but I can't justify pulling the trigger right now (other big purchases like a house would be smarter investments).

23 hours ago, passis said:

Exactly. I was expecting this CX758 to be the affordable nameplate, quickly approved, we have discussed elsewhere here.

I think CX758 is supposed to be the Ford Territory replacement. That one is still a few years away. P758 is coming early because it was originally just Transit Connect pickup. Just guessing but at some point, someone at Ford figured out they could get CX758 approved if they piggy back off P758. 

The program numbers doesn't imply that they will look similar or share any significant sheetmetal. Just that they are potentially linked from an engineering standpoint. 

21 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ok was factually wrong but you can se the drop in monthly sales between TC-Metris-Transit and probably why Ford is not chasing that segment with Transit Custom, maybe just cannibalise existing Transit sales?

Transit Custom market doesn't exist really in the US because our vehicle classification system is different than the rest of the world. This is also the same reason why Toyota never bothered to sell Hiace here or why VW Transporter was never a real commercial van threat. The operating cost of fullsize van in the US is not high enough for most van buyers to skip down to Midsize. 

Class 1 - Transit Connect, Nissan NV200, Mercedes Citan

[no mans land in the US] - Transit Custom, Nissan NV350, VW Transporter, Mercedes Metris/Vito

Class 2a - Transit 150, Nissan NV1500, Mercedes Sprinter 1500

Class 2b - Transit 250, Nissan NV2500, Mercedes Sprinter 2500

Class 3 - Transit 350, Nissan NV3500, Mercedes Sprinter 3500

Whereas the midsize van is the sweet spot in terms of size, taxation, operating costs outside the US, you can see that it doesn't really make that much sense in the US when you can just "abuse" a 1500 class 2 van to do the same job. Since we don't have CO2 tax or displacement based annual road fee, there is no penalty for van operators to "abuse" a fullsize van to do light duty work. Compact van makes sense here because there are areas in the US where size constrain is a real issue - e.g most large cities on either coast. But midsize value proposition is not there. Most people just buy fullsize 1500 if they need the cargo volume but not the weight rating - e.g. package delivery.

Mercedes probably would rather sell the Citan instead of Metris in the US but they don't make that van... it is a rebadged Renault Kangoo and it wasn't engineered to pass US crash test nor does it have gasoline engine that has been certified for EPA and CARB emission. Also because of Chicken tax, Mercedes has to assemble the Sprinter and Metris here from CKD kits... they can't do that with a Renault van that they don't control the manufacturing.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Whereas the midsize van is the sweet spot in terms of size, taxation, operating costs outside the US, you can see that it doesn't really make that much sense in the US when you can just "abuse" a 1500 class 2 van to do the same job. Since we don't have CO2 tax or displacement based annual road fee, there is no penalty for van operators to "abuse" a fullsize van to do light duty work. Compact van makes sense here because there are areas in the US where size constrain is a real issue - e.g most large cities on either coast. But midsize value proposition is not there. Most people just buy fullsize 1500 if they need the cargo volume but not the weight rating - e.g. package delivery.

I was under the impression why the E-150 went away was it was stuck in the no mans land when it came to CAFE due to its footprint. They couldn't make it worth while to meet fuel economy standards and the Transit Connect could do 80-90% of the typical workload it had. 

On 3/10/2020 at 3:23 PM, silvrsvt said:

Two issues with the names:

Ranchero-Was Ford's version of an El Camino (well the El Camino came out after it but the name is more well known)

Courier-Was a Mazda import, at least in North America.

Since Ford is fond of recycling trim names for new Products, how about Lariat from the F-series? Anyone else got a good idea?

Courier was also used earlier global Ranger in Australia, the subcompact van/truck in Europe/Brazil, and the panel van version of 1950s Fords here in the US.

Also, I highly doubt Ford will use Courier since they already sell the Transit Courier in Europe:

1512642814209.jpg

With Ford Australia doing the engineering for the truck, it is highly likely that the small truck and the Transit Courier could overlap markets.

Using Courier on the truck would then lead to confusion. 

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Also, I highly doubt Ford will use Courier since they already sell the Transit Courier in Europe:

I keep hearing that argument about names, but it doesn’t really make any sense to me. What they call a product that they don’t sell here doesn’t really have any impact on what they choose to call a product that they will sell here. 

If they do intend to make it a global product, it wouldn’t be the first time that Ford sold a vehicle with one name in the US and another elsewhere (*cough*Fusion*cough*Mondeo*cough*). 

Really, though, they ought to call this one Courier so they can save Ranchero for the next entry in the Mustang lineup...

:stirpot:

9 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

I keep hearing that argument about names, but it doesn’t really make any sense to me. What they call a product that they don’t sell here doesn’t really have any impact on what they choose to call a product that they will sell here. 

If they do intend to make it a global product, it wouldn’t be the first time that Ford sold a vehicle with one name in the US and another elsewhere (*cough*Fusion*cough*Mondeo*cough*). 

Really, though, they ought to call this one Courier so they can save Ranchero for the next entry in the Mustang lineup...

:stirpot:

Even better....European Fusion:

7B35D56B-E93D-4A68-9823-D39C6BF4C095.jpeg

• Like 1